“Inconsistent product/false advertising ”
Review of Qatar Airways

Reviewed January 20, 2020 via mobile

Qatar Airways is an inconsistent airline. Their long haul business class hard product ranges from excellent (QSuites) to below average (non QSuites). The service on board is generally very good, as is their food. They should not announce a route as being fully QSuites when for the second time in a row, our flight has been downgraded to a non QSuite equipped aircraft. Qatar Airways does not notify passengers ahead of time that their flight/product has been downgraded. This creates a problem for people who are traveling together who have pre selected seats based on a QSuites seat map. They also do not offer any kind of token gesture compensation to passengers who complain when their flight has been downgraded, expectedly. I can not speak for everybody, but we specifically book Qatar Airways on a 16 hour flight for their QSuite product. I completely understand operational issues happen which can sometimes necessitate an aircraft swap, but not notifying passengers ahead of time, and not offering at least an apology or a token gesture such as bonus miles and or vouchers, is unacceptable for a 5 star airline.

• Value for money
Write a reviewReviews (29,467)

Reviewed January 20, 2020

Jeff and I travelled from Sydney to Georgia with Qatar. For reasons too complex to cover here, we had wheelchair assist throughout, and the service was excellent. On the flight itself, I had to request that Jeff be moved into business class for medical reasons. The crew on the plane were exceptional in their handling of the situation.

As a result of this incident, Jeff and I decided to upgrade our return flight and contacted Qatar direct to arrange this. We were horrified with the experience we then had. Firstly, it transpires that business class tickets are divided into several price levels, with only a very few being available at the lowest level. Surely a business class seat is a business class seat. So, the agent quoted us a price for our upgrade. Only one seat left at the lowest price available against Jeff's ticket, the next seat being $600 more! We decided to go ahead and said to the agent to proceed. So, instead of sorting Jeff's cheaper seat out first, he sorted mine out. By the time we went back to book Jeff's upgrade, the lowest price had been taken and now his upgrade was going to cost $600 more than originally quoted. Did the agent do mine first on purpose? We will never know. Was the cheaper seat really not available?
We will never know. We of course complained bitterly at the time, but the agent stated that he could do nothing. Well, horrors, by the time that the agent actually got to book Jeff's upgrade it had gone up yet again by another $150! We cannot help but think that this is all a sort of scam on the part of the airline to get more money out of you. Firstly that there are different price levels for the seats, secondly that the agent did not proceed with the lowest price booking first, and thirdly unless you make a decision, book and pay for the quoted seat within about 2 minutes, the price goes up, and up, and up. So beware!

2  Thank Ann S
Reviewed January 20, 2020

Qatar Airways takes pride in their food and service. My Airbus plane had comfortable seats and adequate legroom. The food was very good (slow-cooked chicken in barbecue sauce, rice and vegetables), and portions more generous than most US airlines. The flight attendants took good care of me. My flight landed in Doha on time, and the views over the Persian Gulf were expansive.

Date of travel: May 2019
Reviewed January 20, 2020

My flight from Doha, Qatar to Atlanta GA went well. Check-in was routine, passport control went smoothly. I like flying Qatar because they take pride in their food and service. My Airbus plane offered more leg room than similar-sized Boeing planes. Qatar Airways does not pack the seats as closely as many US airlines. Also, the plane was fairly new, so it had better electronic media, more choices, better sound than older planes in most US fleets. The food was excellent (chicken in paprika sauce, and hot little Chicken Makhlama pies for a mid-flight snack), and portions more generous than most US airlines. The flight attendants took good care of me. My flight landed a little early in Atlanta, and passport control went fairly quickly at the electronic check-in kiosk.

Date of travel: May 2019
Reviewed January 20, 2020

Booked our holiday to Phuket and the flights were with Qatar stopping at Doha both ways.
We had not flown with the them before but had high expectations due to their reputation. On the flight from Gatwick to Doha (overnight) my seat back would not recline so had to sit upright for 7 hours and on the last leg of the journey home my screen was not working so no entertainment.
Food is down to personal taste but I couldn't eat any of the meals provided. It took a long time for staff to clear away meal trays.
One of the planes on the outward journey appeared new and the toilet facilities much larger than those usually provided, a great improvement.
Overall we were disappointed and surprised that they receive high accolades. Would be happy not to travel with them again.

2  Thank OllieLady