“Be quick to book and pay or be scammed!”
Review of Qatar Airways

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Jeff and I travelled from Sydney to Georgia with Qatar. For reasons too complex to cover here, we had wheelchair assist throughout, and the service was excellent. On the flight itself, I had to request that Jeff be moved into business class for medical reasons. The crew on the plane were exceptional in their handling of the situation.

As a result of this incident, Jeff and I decided to upgrade our return flight and contacted Qatar direct to arrange this. We were horrified with the experience we then had. Firstly, it transpires that business class tickets are divided into several price levels, with only a very few being available at the lowest level. Surely a business class seat is a business class seat. So, the agent quoted us a price for our upgrade. Only one seat left at the lowest price available against Jeff's ticket, the next seat being $600 more! We decided to go ahead and said to the agent to proceed. So, instead of sorting Jeff's cheaper seat out first, he sorted mine out. By the time we went back to book Jeff's upgrade, the lowest price had been taken and now his upgrade was going to cost $600 more than originally quoted. Did the agent do mine first on purpose? We will never know. Was the cheaper seat really not available?
We will never know. We of course complained bitterly at the time, but the agent stated that he could do nothing. Well, horrors, by the time that the agent actually got to book Jeff's upgrade it had gone up yet again by another $150! We cannot help but think that this is all a sort of scam on the part of the airline to get more money out of you. Firstly that there are different price levels for the seats, secondly that the agent did not proceed with the lowest price booking first, and thirdly unless you make a decision, book and pay for the quoted seat within about 2 minutes, the price goes up, and up, and up. So beware!

Date of travel: January 2020
2  Thank Ann S
Write a reviewReviews (29,330)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Qatar Airways takes pride in their food and service. My Airbus plane had comfortable seats and adequate legroom. The food was very good (slow-cooked chicken in barbecue sauce, rice and vegetables), and portions more generous than most US airlines. The flight attendants took good care of me. My flight landed in Doha on time, and the views over the Persian Gulf were expansive.

Date of travel: May 2019
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My flight from Doha, Qatar to Atlanta GA went well. Check-in was routine, passport control went smoothly. I like flying Qatar because they take pride in their food and service. My Airbus plane offered more leg room than similar-sized Boeing planes. Qatar Airways does not pack the seats as closely as many US airlines. Also, the plane was fairly new, so it had better electronic media, more choices, better sound than older planes in most US fleets. The food was excellent (chicken in paprika sauce, and hot little Chicken Makhlama pies for a mid-flight snack), and portions more generous than most US airlines. The flight attendants took good care of me. My flight landed a little early in Atlanta, and passport control went fairly quickly at the electronic check-in kiosk.

Date of travel: May 2019
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Booked our holiday to Phuket and the flights were with Qatar stopping at Doha both ways.
We had not flown with the them before but had high expectations due to their reputation. On the flight from Gatwick to Doha (overnight) my seat back would not recline so had to sit upright for 7 hours and on the last leg of the journey home my screen was not working so no entertainment.
Food is down to personal taste but I couldn't eat any of the meals provided. It took a long time for staff to clear away meal trays.
One of the planes on the outward journey appeared new and the toilet facilities much larger than those usually provided, a great improvement.
Overall we were disappointed and surprised that they receive high accolades. Would be happy not to travel with them again.

Date of travel: January 2020
2  Thank OllieLady
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I follow The Points Guy who frequently writes reports about how business class flight prices can be significantly lower if you begin your journey from certain countries within Europe. Having done my research I discovered that the cost of flying to Sydney from Stockholm was almost half that of flying from London, so that’s what I did.

I was keen to fly Qatar because I had experienced their business class product earlier in the year (although not the Q suite) and I had also read a lot of reviews about the Q suite product.

The only disappointing aspect of my experience was that the Qatar lounge at Stockholm which I think is shared by other airlines is pretty average. That said, from the moment you set foot on the plane, everything else is excellent. Three of my four legs were in the new Q suite. The Q suite is fantastic, you are effectively in your own little pod and it’s easy to forget that you are in a cabin containing other passengers. The food menu makes it clear that there are several options from snacks through to full meals which are available whenever you want them. During my 4 legs I sampled lots of different things from the menu, all of which were excellent. The wine choices are as good as I’ve had on other first class flights and I particularly liked the cocktail menu. I had a champagne cocktail which was as good as any I’ve had in any bar.

The service is excellent, the seat very comfortable and the entertainment system on par with those of most airlines. On one of the legs, the plane did not have the Q suites and although all of the above observations remain valid, it isn’t as good an experience as when you are hidden away from everyone else.

The lounge at Doha (once you work out which one you can use and where it is) is very good. On my first visit I only looked round the lower level where there are snacks and coffee available. On my second visit I went upstairs and sat at the bar. There was good buffet food available and the drinks options and bar service were excellent.

This was a leisure trip and i pushed the boat out to buy a business class seat but I have to say that I felt it was worth every penny and made the long journey a real joy.

9/10