“Too Many Babies”
Review of KLM Royal Dutch Airlines

Reviewed December 12, 2017

On Line checkin a breeze, and easy to follow. Chose our seats up front 1 row back from the bulkhead in the middle on the left.

In Birmingham, we checked our bags through to Accra, and went to the gate. Boarding was a surprise, we walked, in the rain to the aircraft, up a set of open steps. People were getting seriously wet! Once onboard a normal short flight to Schipol and our connection to Accra.
Arrived Schipol late due to Traffic Control software upgrades, they were very efficient in making sure everyone who had an onward flight was aware of where to go, etc..

Boarding for Accra.
Was delighted to see that they were taking bags off people that were either their third bag, or simply too big for the main cabin.

On Board we found our seats and stowed our hand baggage easily.
Then, an issue arose, (see title).
Little known fact, in a 777-200 in economy the seat config is 3-4-3, at the front by the bulkhead there are two bassinets for mother & baby.
On this flight we had three, in the front four seats. This raised a saftey issue, (not enough oxygen masks), so now a bit of baby swapping around us, all very good natured, staff were polite but firm and the problem was dealt with.

The rest of the flight was uneventful, food was .. ok, (dessert was good), seat comfortable and the in flight was very good.

Will I book row 33 F & G again? Probably not, a window seat for me next time...

• Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Write a ReviewReviews (20,473)

Reviewed December 12, 2017

The service at the check in at SFO was excellent, without problems at the check/in machine. The flight itself was on time, and the Dreamliner experience almost perfect for the second time. The flight itself lasted around 10 hours, it was a little more difficult to get some sleep but it was very comfortable, with excellent entertainment and food and beverages. It should be noted that all seats have phone chargers, but with U.K. plug ins only.

Reviewed December 12, 2017

Finally writing this review, I don't like to be negative, but this had to be shared. I had the most traumatizing experience with KLM, both online and with the Athens, Greece airport staff. This summer I decided to rescue two tiny kittens and spent 4 weeks arranging for their transport. I had to call, wait on hold and request several different times to travel with the kittens (hours and hours of phone charges) and each time I was given a different/contradictory reason why they were denied passage with KLM. A selection of the reasons included: one pet per species per cabin, one pet per carrier and one pet per ticketed passenger. The final phone call was with Delta (with whom I had purchased the tickets) and they were able to confirm with me that the kittens could fly (two kittens of the same litter under the age of four months can share a carrier), assuring me that everything was confirmed for each flight and no further follow-up was required. With that confirmation, I proceeded to get all their travel documents together (shots, pet passport, letter from vet), hired a taxi (not the usual cheap bus), stayed in a pet friendly hotel, upgraded our seats to Premiere Economy and went to the airport (a day's trip from the island I found them on) with my family. I happily checked in and presented to documents to the KLM agent and was told the kittens were not confirmed to travel. The reason was given that I had tried too many times to get approval and they had denied every time. My confirmation from Delta, their partner airline, was not valid and they would not, could not help. From there everything went downhill. We were transferred to the specialty desk to presumably resolve the problem but instead we were clearly sent to the person who would waste our time and say NO to every reasonable option, including purchasing an open seat in an upgraded cabin so there would be one cat per cabin, etc. With 10 minutes to spare before boarding closed for our flight, we made the decision to split up and I sent my family (husband and two kids) off to catch the flight while I remained in Greece with the kittens. I couldn't just leave them on the curb at the Athens airport. Luckily my family made the flight but was subsequently continued to be treated horrendously by KLM. Our reserved, upgraded seats had been given away and instead they traveled in middle seats spread rows apart throughout the airplane. At each transfer, there were two, they were reticketed and sent through additional security because there was a code on their boarding passes. Just terrible service. Meanwhile, still in Athens, I spent hours on the phone with Delta to rebook a flight for myself and the two kittens. Kudos to Delta for pulling it off and getting us on a flights within a few hours, albeit not to my original destination, but to Los Angeles which was only 60 miles away. Based on their poor customer service, I will not travel with KLM ever again. I have been traveling internationally at least once a year for the past 48 years and they have lost my business forever.

10  Thank MarinelaF
Reviewed December 12, 2017

We travelled from Bristol to Amsterdam and then on to Budapest. The flight itself was perfectly fine despite being struck by lightening on the way home, The only thing I want to have a bit of a moan about is that on the flight from Bristol to Amsterdam and again from Budapest to Amsterdam the snack we were offered on both flights were cheese sandwiches, then on the flight from Amsterdam to Bristol it was a cheese wrap.This of course is perfectly fine if you like cheese, but as I don't I wasn't happy, but apart from me not liking cheese what about the people that are dairy intolerant. I think it would be nice to have another option ham for example. Not everyone likes cheese.

Reviewed December 12, 2017

We flew to Amsterdam for 3 days en route Vancouver B.C as my partner needed a break for her back. We took the opportunity to reacquaint ourselves with the city and a few of its terrific art museums. The only technical problem was a faulty computer screen on the1 sector. The planes are newer on the N. American route. Because of long legs and a bad back we booked the upgraded economy plus which paid handsomely in terms of leg room.The wheel chair assistance at Schiphol was topnotch and could teach London's Heatherow a thing or too! The only negative was the shockingly poor food on all 4 sectors of the flight! KLM you can do better than that.