“I’ll be using this airline again.”
Review of Japan Airlines (JAL)

Reviewed April 27, 2019 via mobile

I love japan airlines. The seats were comfy (my friends said it was too hard), but I have no complaints. My 6’2” boyfriend manage to live thru economy (he said it was pretty good). The seats were an inch more than American economy airlines. The flight attendants were very friendly. We were served two meals and a small snack during our 14 hours flight. The food was a bit salty but tasty. Also, several drink services. When there were no meals served, they set up a snack station where you are welcome to help yourself. I was allowed two free bags to check in, which is great! No one fought for overhear bin space, so there were bins that were actually empty. In flight entertainment was excellent. Saw 3-4 movies that I had been wanting to see (fairly new movies were available). Took a small nap or two and then we arrived. I’m actually looking forward to my next flight to japan with japan airlines.

1  Thank toothy11
Write a reviewReviews (9,081)

Reviewed April 26, 2019 via mobile

JAL surprised me with spacious leg room and great service by cabin crew. Non-stop serving water (at least 4 times) within duration of 6-7 hours. Food and snack was delicious.

Date of travel: March 2019
1  Thank yykoeh
Reviewed April 25, 2019

I flew on 10 April 2019 from Seattle to Tokyo and then Singapore, returning on 24 April on the reverse Singapore/Tokyo/Seattle route. The Tokyo-Seattle route is a new one, launched on 31 March 2019. Business class was totally full on the Seattle/Tokyo/Seattle flights, maybe because of the attractive promotional fares that were nearly US$2,000 less than the equivalent business class fares with ANA and Singapore Airlines (SQ). This review is of the Tokyo-Seattle flight.

The Japanese reputation for efficiency was quickly undermined at check in and at the airports, Seattle as well as Tokyo, although Tokyo was noticeably slower. Everything seems to take longer than it should and longer than it does elsewhere. In Tokyo this was true of both check in and security - not because the hand baggage security screening is better or more thorough in Narita but just because it all moves slowly.

I found the language barrier particularly noticeable on the ground and in the air. I say this as someone who has regularly flown Asian airlines such as Singapore Airlines, Cathay Pacific, China Eastern, China Southern, ANA. This is not a comment that comes from a lack of cultural sensitivity: I speak a number of languages and do not expect everyone to speak English. But the situation is different when considering international airlines services English-speaking routes where it can be anticipated that a significant proportion of the customers primarily speak English. In this context I found that many, perhaps most, JAL staff have a surprisingly poor command of English and are sometimes incomprehensible. Despite years of living in Asia and working with Asians, including Japanese, I found it almost impossible to understand the attendant at the check in desk in Tokyo; and the flight attendants were barely better.

The JAL flight attendants were all friendly and well-meaning, hospitable, and attentive to the point of intrusion. The famous Japanese service training is certainly evident in the air.

The food and wine were disappointing for business class. In comparison with other airlines serving these routes JAL is less good. Not bad, but not as good as others. Of course the standard is better than a US airline would be – nobody is ever going to suggest that United should get an award for its food and wine offerings, even in their ever-shrinking international first class. But I recall ANA as noticeably better, and SQ is significantly better on both food and wine, as well as on pretty much every other category.

It was unfortunate that my seat had a broken monitor/entertainment screen. I was informed of this at check in, twice at the gate and twice on board; but as the business class was full there was no alternative seat and therefore no solution. The compensation offered (it was quickly volunteered; I did not ask for it) was a JAL coupon for a discount on a future flight or 20,000 points for onboard purchases or15,000 JAL miles. These were not much use: the first two only apply if one intends to fly again with JAL and the third says the miles can only be credited to JAL’s own mileage program, not to a program partner. And it may take two months for any compensation to be mailed to one’s address. 10 hours is a long flight with no entertainment available.

As is standard these days, the seat becomes a flat bed. I found it hard and uncomfortable. At least plenty of [very soft] pillows are available – try getting an extra pillow on United!!

My conclusion: try ANA instead; better still, go with SQ.

3  Thank GRW720
Reviewed April 25, 2019

The comfort of the JAL 787 is superior to other carriers 777s. The 2-4-2 seat configuration gives the feeling of spaciousness. I think I was flying on a newer aircraft as my connecting flight onto HongKong was obvious an older 787. I noticed the difference right away with the color scheme plus the seats didn’t seem to be as wide and leg room was less. The in flight service was lacking as the flight attendants seldom passed through with water and juice for hydration. The past three years I’ve flown SIA and the FA’s would do the water service about every twenty minutes! As with most carriers today, the food was mediocre, a notch below SIA, but above the others. I chose JAL this year for convenience, my home to takeoff, two hours, not having to go to SFO. I did have to pay about $400 more to save six or so hours.

1  Thank 78Aztecs
Reviewed April 25, 2019

My first time flying to Japan and I was a little nervous because of the length.
The attendants on the flight were so patient, kind and attentive. The meals were unlike any I've had on other airlines.
My only downside is that because it is under the same family with American Airlines, the first layover was not enjoyable, as their attendant/customer service is horrible.

Would HIGHLY recommend JAL!!

Date of travel: December 2018
    • Check-in and boarding
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.