“5-star Comfort and Service”
Review of Japan Airlines (JAL)

Reviewed April 2, 2019

Departure was after midnight and the journey was so smooth, the seats so comfortable that I slept for much of the trip. The great thing about the premium economy seat, apart from its generous width, is the fixed back of the seat which does not encroach on the space of the passenger seated behind even when fully reclined.
My flight attendant did not wake me up for the meal service and only served me breakfast when I requested it at the end of the service. How very kind and considerate! The meal was light and tasted ok.
The only downside was the airline lounge at Osaka airport(Itami) which was extremely crowded. Passengers had to go down one level and then up another to access the buffet spread. Like several other travelers, we did not take the trouble to do so.

• Food and Beverage
    • Check-in and boarding
3  Thank Sidrian2
Write a reviewReviews (9,081)

Reviewed April 2, 2019 via mobile

I flew on a flight from Tokyo to Seoul and was treated so kindly by the crew. When they served the meal, they provided me with a translation of what I was about to eat on a pre-printed piece of paper. I thought that was so thoughtful. Obviously safety is number one when flying, but on board service always makes the experience so much better. JAL is an outstanding airline in my opinion.
Looking forward to another flight in the near future with them.

Date of travel: October 2018
1  Thank pinsonthemap
Reviewed April 2, 2019

Flight departed on time at 6 pm. Boarding was orderly and there was a sign to indicate JAL's boarding priority. JAL & One World elite members board first followed by Business Class passengers who don't belong to the first group. There is no First Class service on this flight.

There is no pre-take off beverage service. When FAs were released from their seats, they came by to take meal and beverage orders. There is a printed menu laid out on the table during boarding. Choice of Japanese or Western meal. I chose the Japanese meal since the flight was out of Japan.

The seats, arranged in a herringbone placement are comfortable, however, they are not that wide. Window seats have a little extra space on the triangular tabletop by the window. There is not very much storage space for your belongings. Magazines and instruction cards are placed in very thin pocket on the wall below the tabletop. Can't put anything thicker than magazines in it. Items placed on the tabletop are not secured and will slide around during turbulence. There is a tiny locker in the wall above the tabletop at shoulder level. It's triangular space is not very usable and is adequate to store the headsets provided. They are over the ear headsets, though not noise cancelling. I didn't use them. Amenity kit had eye shields, socks and toothbrush of disposable quality. Had to put my belongings in the foot well to ensure they didn't slide around.

There is an extendable arm rest on the aisle side. It must be retracted (stowed) during taxi, takeoff and landing. When extended there is a small storage box below. Not much use due to triangular shape and unusable when arm rest is required to be stowed.

Movie selection was quite good and includes Japanese selections. New Release movies were adequate though not as extensive as other airlines. I was tired and watched only one movie.

Japanese meal was adequate; disappointing for something coming from Tokyo. The starters were served in a flimsy Bento box. Numerous one to two bite items that were tasty. Main course was served after the Bento box was cleared. It was disappointing - rice served with stir fried beef which was of meager portions and not particularly flavorful.

Dessert was served after table was cleared. It was nothing memorable. I remember much better meals served before the airline went through re-organization.

Lie flat seat was quite comfortable. You have to adjust the lumbar support to make it totally flat otherwise you will feel the bumps. Despite that, I could feel the joints in the seat cushions. It needs a bed pad to cover up the joints. Had to adjust my sleeping position so that my hips would not come in contact with the joints as they were a source of discomfort. The blanket was quite thick and I perhaps should have used it as a bed pad.

FAs were attentive when you press the call button. Surprisingly, they did not hand out bottled water at the beginning of the flight. I had to ask for it. It was supplied on my outbound flight. Snacks were available on request - choice of Ramen, Soba or Udon instant noodles. Nothing terribly exiting and I didn't need it. Slept the rest of the flight. Ice cream served as pre-arrival snack.

Overall, the flight and service was good - not outstanding.

• Food and Beverage
    • Check-in and boarding
Reviewed April 2, 2019 via mobile

It was my first flight with a full fledged airline and I was not disappointed!

The staff spoke English and seemed to take the time to note which passengers preferred speaking English or Japanese. I sat next to a Japanese lady on my return flight and the attendant switched languages when asking which meal I preferred. I found it very impressive.

The meals were good! They made sure to have 2 options, one more Asian and one more western. However, the sides always included something Japanese. I thought it was a great touch. Sample some lesser known Japanese treats while on board.

They handed out some rice cracker snacks and ice cream. The drinks available included some JAL exclusive wine which tasted good. Had a chance to taste both because my bf ordered red and I had white.

The seats were comfortable. They provided a small pillow and blanket, very much appreciated. It had a wire in the head rest that could be used to stop your head from rolling too far. I liked that a lot. Not sure if that's a standard feature for all full airlines.

Entertainment was good. The movies weren't too old and being able to see some Japanese movies was cool. ;)

1  Thank Aerhysse
Reviewed April 1, 2019 via mobile

We recently flew from Dallas, TX to Tokyo, Japan on a flight with JAL. The flight one way was approx 12-13 hours. We were in the economy class and were concerned we should have upgraded our seats due to the length of the flight.

To our pleasant surprise, our seats were very comfortable (able to lean back) as well as having a monitor (installed in the headrest in front of you) stocked with numerous movies, tv shows, and games to keep you entertained during the flight. You were also provided a neck pillow as well as a blanket; both items were sealed and located in your seat upon arrival. The seats themselves were spacious (to be economy) and there was plenty of leg room. Also, the overhead bins were spacious and held our carry-on sized backpacks easily.

The flight attendants were very nice and accommodating. Due to the length of the flight, numerous meals, snacks, and drinks were provided. You were given a choice on entree (or main dish) of some of the meals; the food was surprisingly good! The food was served accordingly - heated dishes remained hot and chilled dishes remained cold upon being served. You were also given silverware with each meal. The attendants returned promptly to remove items upon completion.

Also, the one thing I forgot to pack was my headphones. To my surprise, the flight attendants came around at the beginning of the flight and asked everyone if they needed a set of earbuds!! While these were not expensive earbuds, they worked perfectly and were conveniently free of charge.

I have no complaints of our flight to or from Japan and would highly recommend JAL to anyone.

2  Thank JcPerryman
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.