“The best Business Class in the air!”
Review of Japan Airlines (JAL)

Reviewed December 12, 2018

Over the last year I've had the privilege of traveling on long haul business class flights with a number of airlines including Emirates, JAL, United, and British Air -- and JAL is the BEST!!! Their plane was the cleanest after 14 hours in the air, their beds were the most comfortable and their food was certainly more than adequate. If you ever have a choice -- this is the airline to chose.

I had a Visa problem for my on-going travel and the JAL staff handled it masterfully. It was, in total, a fabulous experience.

Date of travel: March 2018
1  Thank Nancy B
Write a reviewReviews (9,081)

Reviewed December 11, 2018

This was my first time on JAL and I loved everything from the staff with exceptional service and also the cleanliness. The food was superb as you can choose Japanese and western. The flight entertainment is also good however I did wish their was more movies that were newer releases. On the way home I flew Premium Economy. Again a fantastic product - the service and meals were unbeatable. I felt like their was constant food being served with was great. the seats were extremely comfy and the barrier on the side of the seats next to the head rest is perfect as it gives you privacy without looking at the person next to you. Other than that a great product I would recommend anyone to fly with.

Date of travel: December 2018
3  Thank Liesl V
Reviewed December 11, 2018

We had a very unpleasant experience on JAL, and my husband was ordered out of his premium economy seat.

We flew from Tokyo to Singapore on 29th November 2018 in a family of 3, my husband was on premium economy class as it was work travel while I and my daughter of 2.5yo were on economy.

Normally on long flights, my husband and I would swap seat to take turn to look after our daughter. We have done this a few times on Singapore Airline and there was absolutely no issue. So today I took the premium economy seat first. After two hours I swapped my seat with my husband to put our daughter to sleep. However one of the stewardesses immediately ordered my husband out of the premium economy seat and said that no seat swapping allowed. We explained our situation and said that the seat rightfully belonged to my husband. We apologised and said we would not do it again. However she insisted that my husband must return to the economy seat. Now, at this time my daughter was over tired and refused to leave my side. So I sat down with her in economy while the stewardess pointed to an empty economy seat (far away from our seats) and said that he could sit there but not allowed back in premium economy. Afterwards my husband explained the situation to other stewardesses and they were very sympathetic, however they said that the person giving the order is the head steward and they have no say. They suggested that if we wanted to, we could file a complaint and so my husband did.

A few hours later my daughter woke up from her nap. Although we tried asked her to sit with daddy and let mommy sit in the front she refused to and kept screaming I want my mommy. When I returned back to the premium economy seat she ran after me with tears streaming down her face asking for me. She looked so distraught that I lifted her up and let her sit on my laps and told her that she can’t sit here. Almost immediately that stewardess came back and said to me your daughter is not allowed to sit here. I couldn’t believe it as the stewardess looked like a mother herself, and how could she be so unkind and heartless to ordered a teary toddler right back to the seat. So I just looked at that lady and then carried my girl back to economy. I asked my husband to go back to the premium economy seat again as this is just absurd. He paid for the seat and yet ordered out of his own seat. So he did and that stewardess made a big fuss again. She even said to my husband “I understand that you have filed a complaint about us and so have we. We know all your details and I have reported you to our airline”. Now this is just ridiculous. My husband was firm but never lost his control or got too emotional. At that point he was so frustrated that he just left. And to make the matter worse the lady went to apologise to every single customer in the premium economy cabin because of our disturbance.

In the end, we spent the majority of our flight back in economy with the premium economy seat being left empty (as my daughter just wanted to be with me and I didn’t want her to scream or cry on the plane and disturbed other passengers).

On top of that, we felt so humiliated and discriminated as if we were thieves from economy seat trying to steal a seat from premium economy. Had the crew members told us from the beginning that no seat swapping allowed, we would have definitely sat in the correct seating. We felt discriminated because in the same row of premium economy seat, one passenger kept swapping back and forth between business class and premium economy. He is a huge man and hence I noticed it when he walked down to sat next to his wife in premium economy. So that very man was allowed to go back and forth but not us? Later on when we complained about the differential treatment to the ground staff in Singapore, we were told because the man was on business class, he could switch however he wished to. And because we are on (lowly) premium economy, we are not allowed to do that???

I really really liked JAL and would always have only good things to rave about this airline. However after this incident we are very scared by the airline and we are seriously want to avoid this airline forever.

7  Thank emmahnguyen
Reviewed December 11, 2018

It's very confortable Airline from Japan to Singapore. Departure time is set before noon and arrival time is before evening. So it's convenient for me.
Especially for the business traveller, time consuming viewpoint, this flight schedule is very good. In flight service is an acceptable level both Foods and Drinks. Cabine is clean and there is no claim on this.

Reviewed December 10, 2018

I flew JAL for the first time, and was very impressed by the service and cleanliness. The economy seats were comfortable as far as economy goes. There was a variety of TV and movie selections. The food was good by airline standards. I would recommend JAL for long haul flights.

• Check-in and boarding
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.