“Fantastic start to a great holiday experience”
Review of Japan Airlines (JAL)

Reviewed July 3, 2017

- check-in was a breeze, handled very quickly and efficiently.
- they were offering an upgrade from economy to premium economy for an extra $350 $A, which we took them up on. We weren't disappointed.
- generous luggage allowance for checked luggage 2 bags/suitcases @ 25 kilograms each.
- service was great, very friendly and professional.
- excellent food & drink.
- comfortable and roomy seats
- noise cancelling headphones a big bonus.
- bathrooms very well-maintained and clean.
- no request was too little or too great.
- air hostesses walked and checked the aisles and passengers on a regular basis.

Date of travel: May 2017
3  Thank Nat0v19
Write a reviewReviews (9,081)

Reviewed July 3, 2017

Having flown business class on several airlines, JAL is a solid choice. The service is good and their 787's are incredibly comfortable. The meals are enjoyable and visually appealing.

OMG!!!
Friends have told me to pay the extra and fly JAL. I did and don't regret it at all.
Having flown nearly every major domestic airline I can confidently say that they are all a joke.
First, the food. The food they served me in economy is better than first class meals I've had flying domestically. The food that was served on JAL was tasty and fresh. It also looked good which is something that is hard to do.
Second, the service. Attentive and pleasant.
Third, the flight attendants were all dressed impeccably and anyone that has flown on international airlines knows what I'm talking about. US airlines can't compare.
Fourth, the seats are more comfortable and even have footrests. What the heck? When was the last time domestic airlines thought about a small thing like that? Oh, I forgot, they don't give a crap about their customers because they've got a captured market.
Fifth, no fee's. Yup, domestic airlines continue to rip customers off with fee's but not JAL. I think domestic airlines don't charge either for international flights but that's only because they probably wouldn't be able to complete if they did.
Sixth, I can't confirm but I swear they handle baggage with care. Not a single ding on my suitcase.
Seventh. Cost. About the same as it would have cost me to fly to the West Coast or Vegas. I'd rather go to Japan. No tipping (save 20%), food in general cheaper, and you won't find crappy food in Japan.
Eighth. Clean. The entire plane was clean. Even the bathrooms!
This was my first time to Japan but not my last. I'll definitely consider JAL again, or ANA or Korean Air or pretty much any airline that isn't US based!!!

Date of travel: July 2017
1  Thank dsHonolulu
Reviewed July 2, 2017 via mobile

I fly to Japan often and this trip was the roomiest, most comfortable and best served of any level of economy. It probably helped that it was a 787, a fantastic plane to fly in.
I was in 17K, first row, bulkhead, of premium economy. The leg room is enormous; I could get out without disturbing the aisle passenger. Plenty of overhead bin space is available. This is important when sitting at the bulkhead. The seat was wide and comfortable.
The service was precise, polite and attentive, what you would expect in Japan. The food is good and nicely but efficiently presented. Teas and all other manner of drinks are offered throughout the flight.
Overall a great travel experience and introduction to Japan.
The flight departed almost an hour late due to late arriving plane. We ended up landing within minutes of schedule so there effectively was no delay. I received an email and message a few hours before the flight informing me of the delay and apologizing. When I checked in for the flight, entered the Sakura lounge to wait, was waiting at the gate lounge and upon boarding announcement, apologies were given for the late departure. Once seated, the flight attendant addressed me by name to apologize for the delay.
Yes, the service is that good.

Reviewed July 1, 2017 via mobile

I love this flight. The seat and the crew was spotless. Although I am reviewing based on a business class seat, I have tried enough business class seats to know that this was one of the best I have flied on. Before flying, they give you these eye masks and earplugs and they also have slippers on the seats which you can take home.

Leg room: Perfect. It even has a little area off to the end of your foot, for those like me who don't want to put their bags on the carry on over head.

Space: This plane has a LOT of space. From little nooks to stick your phone while charging, to the little side cabinet you'll have where you can stick your bulky headphone case, or sleeping masks or whatever it is, as long as it's within 2kg, you're good.

Food: Food is good. All through out, I ate the Japanese style, and my only problem there, is that I did not know that the wrapped cube was my rice. I thought it was dessert or something, and I was finished with my food before I knew that the wrapped thing was my rice.

Drinks: They were very generous with drinks. I have been on flights where they don't give you a bottle of water, so you don't have to feel bad calling for them, whenever you're in the middle of the flight. They were abundant with coffee and tea as well.

Staff: These ladies were SUPER helpful. My uncle's cane got stuck under the seat, and these 4 ladies were very helpful, to the point that they had to remove all of the seat's padding just to be able to reach under it.

Restroom: Toothbrushes and mouthwash. I love these, since I forget to bring my own when I go to the restroom.

My only problem: Flight home from our layover (Tokyo - Manila) for some reason, the air condition was REALLY HOT. And I mean sweaty hot.

But overall, would recommend. Again, I am reviewing based on business class seats, do not take my word if you are flying economy.

• Value for money
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.