“First time on Iberia”
Review of Iberia

Reviewed September 9, 2018 via mobile

We took our first flights on Iberia recently. First leg from Naples to Madrid then on to Miami. The planes were clean and had enough leg room. Video features were good but shut off earlier than most. Checkin and the rest of services were as expected. Would fly them again.

1  Thank 528deanb
Write a reviewReviews (18,356)

Reviewed September 9, 2018 via mobile

Excelent fly. They have internet on board. Friendly staff. They where on the hour, you can defenitly understand why it was the company with last delays in the last years. I defenitly recommend Iberia.

Date of travel: August 2018
    • Seat comfort
    • Customer service
    • Legroom
    • In-flight Entertainment
    • Value for money
1  Thank ioana76329
Reviewed September 8, 2018

My wife had emergency surgery to clear a 90% arterial blockage to her brain ... 12 days before our scheduled flight to Rome from JFK with Iberia. Minimum recovery time is 2 to 3 weeks. We can’t make our trip to Rome.

We had purchased non-refundable Premium Economy seats totaling $1897.82 for 2 adults. The change fees are $275 per person plus any fare difference.

After Iberia made it clear they would not refund us, I tried on several occasions to change our flights online to a later date (and pay the $550 change fee--$275 x 2--and any difference in price) only to discover that Iberia is rife with deception and unethical pricing practices:
1. I found that Iberia has two sets of prices:
a. the lowest fares are available only online to customers and NOT to Iberia Telesales staff.
b. Only MUCH higher prices are available to their Telesales employees. The lie
and deception is that Iberia tells the public, on their web site, that Telesales Staff have access to the "best fares". The complete opposite is true. Their Telesales staff do not have access to the lower, online, fares.
2. When I tried to change my flights online (and pay the $550 penalty for 2 adults) I realized that we were about to be charged prices consistent with Premium Economy seating but we were being forced into Economy class even though Premium seats were available! I confirmed this lockout with Telesales who told me that if I want to rebook again with Premium Economy seating, that can only be done with the Telesales team. And if you re-read point 1 above ... that means that the price I got from Telesales was higher than what's available online as a new purchase. The price I got from Telesales to change our flights is $3,300 when those same dates and flights and seats are available as a new purchase for $1867. Mind you, that $1867, would be offset by a credit for the similarly priced tickets we already paid for, and that would work out to be a wash. We should only have to pay the $550 change fee. Not $3,300.

As I processed all this and tried to understand why this chaos was occurring, I ended up spending over 3 hours on the phone with Iberia Telesales reps over the last few days. Sent them numerous emails.

Finally, their Telesales staff told me they read my emails and that given my wife's medical condition and the frustrations of the last few days I just needed to take the medical proof (Surgeon's letter, etc.) to the Iberia counter at JFK Airport and the counter agents there would give us a full refund.

You can see where this is going, right? The counter agents at JFK today were besides themselves not understanding why Telesales would tell us something that was untrue: Counter agents at JFK cannot give refunds. We were right back where we started.

We are now 2 days from departure date and face the possibility of losing almost $1900 and not being able to use that $1900 to rebook with Iberia due to their unethical pricing system.

I've contacted VISA to dispute my charge with Iberia and I've informed Iberia I will begin publicizing their despicable practices on the Internet. I'm now demanding a refund from them. If they don't comply, I will take them to Small Claims Court.

If you have any advice for me, please offer it. Thank you and I strongly recommend you look for another airline.

• Customer service
3  Thank VictorT630
Reviewed September 8, 2018 via mobile

We travelled with Iberia but never again. We left Miami on 3rd September on the 22:50 flight so was a nightime flight. The attendants were miserable to say the least. Not one cracked smile of any of them. I fell asleep and when i woke I needed the loo, o was still half asleep and I wear Co tact lenses so my eyes were dry n struggled to focus. When I git yo the loo I couldn't see if it was occupied or vacant so I gently pushed the door, it didn't open so I did the same on the other side and it didn't open so thought I would push it a little harder which I did so realised it was occupied, so I waited, the mail flight attendant cane out and very rudely pointed at the sign and sternly saud "red occupied" and stormed off before I could explain. Horrible man and staff so miserable. We were warned about Iberia before travel but i like to make my own mind up. Never again!!!

1  Thank Amanda B
Reviewed September 8, 2018

Flight ran very well , on time and staff were very good. Setting a bit cramped and fare seemed a bit higher than we are used to paying in Australasia

1  Thank Lynda S