“Fine flights, horrible layover hotel...”
Review of Ethiopian Airlines

Reviewed October 18, 2017

For the most part our 2-leg flight experience with the airlines and airport was not so bad. The planes were great, (economy) food was okay, in-flight crew and service was good. Even the layover process was okay - we were called up by the gate crew and furnished with the hotel voucher. And transiting in and out of Addis Ababa Bole International was fairly smooth - ie. no visa hassle: showed immigration the hotel voucher and we were good to go. Plus, our check-in bags were tagged correctly and made it to our destination, so all good.

The layover hotel was another story. The Afarensis International Hotel tainted what would have otherwise been a pleasant trip using Ethiopian Airlines. The location certainly questionable at best. And the room, particularly the carpet, was not clean. The hotel was extremely slow serving the included dinner and refreshments to numerous guests. My wife and I gave up waiting, and retreated to our room. We did have the simple breakfast offered the next morning. To my relief, the coffee was very good.

• Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Write a ReviewReviews (3,291)

Reviewed October 17, 2017

Even though I've lived in Africa for more than a year, I never considered flying the airline because of mixed reviews.

However, this weekend I returned from Ethiopia, where I took an international flight, as well as five domestic flights. In each situation, I was pleased with the flight, especially the level of service.

My only complaint is that on my return flight to Zimbabwe I rode aboard an older-model jet with no entertainment system.

Still, I would definitely fly Ethiopian again.

2  Thank MarkColin
Reviewed October 16, 2017

When arriving to Addis Abeba from Bangkok the airline offered us an hotel to stay in as we had more than 10 hours between flight ! The hotel was minimal but clean and the food was nice , When boarding in Bangkok they change for the third time the seating for the next flight and spread us (17 people with infants and baby) all over the plane seating infant (4 year) and another infant (6 year ) alone and far from they parents ! Saying that we could change the seating places in Addis Abeba ! For sure no one to speak to at the airport ! They urge us to enter the gate 1 hour before and this was a terrible experience ! No air condition , no toilets , no water - Nothing ! And we had to wait more than one hour in this gate ! none the less to tell you that the airplane crew did nothing about changing our seats and we had to do it ourselves asking people to change they seats !

2  Thank Georges M
Reviewed October 16, 2017

The flight was scheduled at 10:00AM and we had to be 3 hours ahead because security checks in Israel and we had to travel 1 hour to the airport so we leaved home at 06:00AM. As this plane landed at 04:00Am they knew that there will be a delay but they didn't tell anybody and we had to wait more then 4 hours in the terminal ! We were 17 people with children and baby ! Never the less to tell that we get our seats when we buy our tickets , get another seat when online check-in and get a third seat when registered our luggage at the ethiopen airlines counter ! We were scattered all over the plane ! The airline offered us a tour in Addis Abeba and a meal because our next plane to Bangkok was departing at 01:00AM . Because we landed with such a big delay they didn't let us go outside the terminal but they didn't offer us nothing instead ! After shouting and argue with them they offer us a lounge with almost nothing - some little food - no coffee -thea no toilets !!! And we had to stay there for more than 5 hours!! And no one in charge to speak to !!

1  Thank Georges M
Reviewed October 16, 2017

A very long flight, with a transfer in Addis Ababa. The 787 & 777 had comfortable seating with nice leg room (I'm 6' tall). On Board staff were friendly and attentive. Plenty of washroom facilities, impressed the staff insured they were clean & well stocked at all times.
Meals were adequate, and well spaced over the flight.