“less than friendly skies”
Review of Delta Air Lines

Reviewed December 11, 2017

The week prior to Thanksgiving I took a 7pm flight from SNA to LAS: my first Delta experience. Without my knowledge my seating was changed from what I had preselected. I was assigned next to the emergency exit and was immediately uncomfortable to carry this responsibility due to my physical limitations. I walked up and explained my concern to a flight attendant and was told someone would assist me with reseating once all passengers were boarded. I sat down and waited anxiously. The flight was only half full and a while after the doors were closed the attendant came by and simply advised me to pick any empty seat and move. My seat mate offered to help move my carry on and I reseated myself. The flight was ok but seemed to lack any expression of friendly customer service. Perhaps this is due to the commuter nature of this route, recent bad publicity about airline service in general, the destination, time of day. Or perhaps my expectations are too high because I usually fly north on Alaska Air which always seems to provide noticeably nice service.

• Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Write a ReviewReviews (38,430)

Reviewed December 11, 2017

Delta charged me to give up my seat??? I am not asking for a refund, only NOT to pay a fee to cancel a flight NEXT SUNDAY. Who thinks they will sell my seat for 3x the amount I paid AND charge me $50 fee?

1  Thank Chris and Cindy B
Reviewed December 11, 2017

So wonderful after terrible experience with British Air. Delicious food and kind staff. At terminal, staff helped change my seat to an aisle. All employees were helpful and caring.

Reviewed December 11, 2017

Worst airline ever, perfect MBA case study on what NOT to do if running a business. A flight from Boston to New York ended up being the worst flight of my life ... my luggage never made it on the plane and then Delta decided to ship to La Guardia instead of JFK where i was. I was given a reference number for lost luggage and come to find out, they recycle those reference numbers. I would get someone else's information because we both had the same reference number. Gets better .. my luggage then gets shipped overseas .. here I am a year later and my luggage got lost. Of course they asked me to itemize everything that was packed in the luggage and they would compensate $500 or some ridiculous amount. Lesson learnt .. if you fly Delta, write a list of what is in your suitcase and don't forget to keep receipts. Delta Operations is disastrous! If you board a Delta plane and make it on time with your luggage .. consider yourself an anomaly!

Reviewed December 11, 2017

We originally booked to fly with Virgin Atlantic to Atlanta from Heathrow in November and return in December. In March, we were told that we would be flying with Delta for the return leg. We had paid to upgrade to Economy Extra and Delta do not have that cabin, so our upgrade payment was returned and we paid Delta for Comfort seats Just a couple of weeks before our holiday, I went online to check all was ok with our booking and found that we were now going to fly outward with Delta instead of Virgin. We had been assigned seats in Economy (cattle class) despite the fact that we had paid the upgrade. I then paid for exit seats and sought repayment of our upgrade fees. The outward flight was not too bad, the staff were okay and so was the food, although juggling food and drink on that apology for a tray was a challenge. What was also a challenge was the P A system, which was apalling and you could only hear the odd word.
Our return from Atlanta was not good at all. The weather was not favourable and we were kept waiting at Atlanta airport for an hour after take off time, because the plane needed to be cleaned, even though the plane had been standing there for ages. When we got any information, it kept conflicting with previous information. Once on the plane, we sat for three hours, two of them in darkness. Eventually, we took off and believe it or not, we were offered dinner at 1.30 am. No, thank you. Again, the P A system was terrible. As we were on the same plane as people that we had been holidaying with, I asked if they could understand the P A address and found, like me, they could only decipher the odd word. I have no confidence in booking with Virgin in the future, if they can just dump you onto an alternative airline and would not book with Delta.