“Below Average Airline”
Review of Copa Airlines

Reviewed November 21, 2017

As this is the third time Copa have lost my bag my faith in them has seriously dropped, the routes they offer are perfect for my travel and the planes and service are average. Food is not that great but matches other airlines and the crew varies allot again as with other airlines, this time the crew were pleasant and available throughout the flight. But when I landed in Newark my bag was not there and I was told that it was never put on the plane. As I was connecting to London with United when I arrived in London I made the claim. Then started my 3 week issue to try and find my bag and I called Copa 3 times in Montevideo and was promised a call back which they never did. United kept calling me with updates but were unable to find the bag and they also told me they had issues getting information from Copa I will fly them again as they do have the routes I need but my advise is check with the gate in every connection your bag has made it on the plane and don't put anything in you check in that is critical to you if your bag goes missing. It was after three weeks the bag showed up with no explanation but I was relieved even though I had started replacing items in the contents

Write a ReviewReviews (8,141)

Reviewed November 20, 2017

While searching for reasonably priced flights for our trip to Galapagos and Machu PIcchu I came across Copa. I had previously never heard of them.

However we checked with a friend who frequently flew to Panama and used them frequently with no complaints.

Their flights left pretty well on time, and surprisingly they have more leg room in economy then we were used to. The entertainment system offered a good variety of choices along with a USB outlet.

The checked bag allowance of two bags each was a surprise.
Food was good and our special meal requests were mostly accommodated.

Check in was always efficient and friendly.

The only issue we had was an email from them on the day prior to our return that my wife's automatic check in could not be done because they could not find her booking. A phone call to them straightened things out. For some unknown reason they changed the booking reference for her to another number.

Summary: good pricing and schedules, modern planes, friendly flight attendants, and on time, no charge for alcoholic beverages or headphones.

Special thanks to their Toronto airport team who were efficient in helping me retrieve the bag I forgot to retrieve when we returned home.

• Food and Beverage
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Reviewed November 19, 2017 via mobile

I’ve been flying with this airline all year long and the overall experience has been very positive. I’ve only experienced one flight delay which had me stuck in Ecuador for 8 hours but all other flights have gone very very well.

Compared to US-based airlines and avianca, Copa is the best among them. I will continue flying with these guys.

On this arline was my first time where the captain of the aircraft was a woman.. that was awesome! And probably one of the most pleasant flights I’ve have.

Reviewed November 17, 2017

Flying from Honolulu to Lax (5 hours) on September 17, 2017, 3 hour layover and another 6 hours from LA to Panama with Copa airlines arriving at 6 AM in the morning on September 18, 2017 and then supposed to fly at around 9 AM to Curacao.

At the time we arrived at Tocumen airport in Panama at 6 AM a power outage started. We waited at the gate from 8 AM till 1 PM, September 18, 2017 at that time the power was back. We found out our flight to Curacao was cancelled and I went to the Copa Lounge (lounge member) and waited in a long line till 3 PM before an agent helped me. Help is not the correct word because she only told me that the first available flight to Curacao was on Thursday September 21, 2017 and this one was not available (for us).

Se denied my request to put me on the next day (September 19, 2017) flight to Aruba, the neighbor island of Curacao. Also se denied my request to put me on a Avianca flight to Curacao for the next day. The conversation with the agent ended with her request what I was doing as economy passenger in the business lounge of Copa. I requested to talk to the supervisor and he also told me he could not do anything for me.

We went out of the airport because we were told that the Tocumen would provide accommodation. After standing in line for two hours for the bus to the hotel without any movement and trying to get the suitcases back my wife collapsed (we were already travelling from Honolulu to Panama for 36 hours) and then I decided to find a hotel myself. Hired a taxi drove around the airport but all the hotels were booked.

Finally ended in a hotel in Panama city itself (taxi 50 US dollar (no receipt given) and hotel 70 US dollars (receipt). Bought some food and drinks and toiletries (aroud 50 us dollar no receipt given).

Contacted Copa a couple of times at night (September 18, 2017) to persuade them to put me on a flight back to Curacao but only after the third call they wanted to put me on the Saturday flight of September 23, 2017. Of course that was unacceptable so I booked the then cheapest flight from Panama to Curacao, 474 us each with American Airlines, with a night stop over in Miami. Other flights were much more expensive, like 600 US (with Avianca) or same day flight with AA for 800 us.

Had to book a hotel in Miami (150 us), had to take a taxi (Uber) to the airport of Panama and from and to Miami airport, together at about 70 US. And of course had to buy some food again (60 us).

Total damages around 1420 US dollars besides the two lost vacation days (September 19 en 20, 2017.)

Copa states it is not liable and only wants to pay the first night accommodation and the first night costs of food and taxi.

Tocumen airport hides behind Copa and does not take any responsibility. This morning the representative of the legal department of Tocumen stated verbally that it was me who run out of the airport myself and he did not understand why I had to go to Miami. Hopefully with this article this misunderstanding is resolved.

• Food and Beverage
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
1  Thank Spinniecur
Reviewed November 16, 2017 via mobile

Nothing wrong with our flight from Chicago to Panama and then to Costa Rica. Flight attendants were pleasant, food was great, no entertainment options but with Netflix and Amazon Prime that’s not a huge issue. The problem came when my bag didn’t make it from Panama to Costa Rica. The agent at the service desk literally couldn’t have cared less. She wouldn’t give us answers. She said my bag could take up to 5 days to arrive. She wouldn’t tell me reimbursement policy or how to get reimbursement and her and her coworker kept giving each other looks and smirking. i asked to speak with her supervisor and she told me I would have to go upstairs and find her. Who says that? I told her to call her supervisor and ask them to come down and the supervisor REFUSED!! What kind of company trains their employees this way. So now I am In Costa Rica with nothing and no way to know if I will get reimbursed for anything I have to buy. I will never, ever recommend this airline to anyone.

1  Thank Traveler679199