“Worst flight experience”
Review of China Southern Airlines

Reviewed September 19, 2017 via mobile

Flew from Christchurch to Thailand return from 6 September 2017 - 19 September 2017. The stopover in Guangzhou was about 3 hours and it seemed like forever. I flew Emirates last time and wished I had booked with them again. The seats are uncomfortable. The staff on board did not have that warm and welcoming feeling. There is no vegetarian option for my friend but I wasn't a fan of the meal anyway. The sound system of the tv system is shocking. I will never fly them again.

1  Thank llt15
Write a ReviewReviews (3,323)

Reviewed September 18, 2017

I had a trip from Hanoi to Xiamen via Guangzhou. The flight from Hanoi to Guangzhou was 1:15, without delay. They managed to serve food on such a short flight! The food could have been better but it was not bad. The disembarking in Guangzhou was very slow as well as all those unnecessary checking at the airport. The flight from Guangzhou was delayed for 50 minutes but at the end we came 25 minutes after the schedule. For an hour flight we got a bottle of water and cookies. In both flights we had to switch off the electronic equipment for 20 minutes for taking off and 30 minutes before landing. The flight attendants were polite.

Reviewed September 15, 2017

This was the fastest available flight available for the same price ($1600) as Emirates( I am a regular on Emirates).People on my flight said that they booked the same ticket 3 months ago for $700. I am okay with that because mine was last minute. The reason I chose CS over Emirates is because my total trip of 6 days and this route had the least connection time of 2.5 hrs. I knew going in that I cannot expect much but was disturbingly surprised.

Positives:
The staff really tries but has a huge language barrier. They speak limited English.Always smiling and caring.

Negatives:
1. Slept through the dinner service and woke up an hr after the service for dinner. I asked for a juice or anything to eat as I was starving. The response, no exaggeration..." I am so sorry, no food, only water". They had no Juice, No Soda, No cookies, Crackers, Peanuts of any kind, just plain water.

2. Limited entertainment system which is filled with long ads on Mercedes. So I chose to sleep.

3. The isle is so small that they barely squeeze through. Having an Isle seat was my biggest mistake as I got bumped for 13 hours, everytime someone passed by.

4. Do not take a seat close to the bathrooms, they stink.

5. Very limited Bathrooms for the entire lower level economy. We were packed in like a herd of goats. Always 5-8 people( no exaggeration) in line for the bathroom at all times.

6. Bathrooms were disgustingly dirty and smelly.

7. Food wrong food served while going. wrong food again while coming back.

8. Finally, the 2.5 hr connection in Guangzhou missed. We landed just 25 mins before our connection. Why late.... delay at LAX for 2 hrs because the Pilot decided to wait for connecting passengers. I, later on, learnt for the regular passengers, this is normal. The flight from LAX is mostly delayed. The connecting flight decided not to wait for us and took off on time. There were almost 130 of us. We were all given a hotel in the city. Next flight 9.5 hours later.
9. Layover hotel: Old dilapidated hotel. Torn carpets, found blood stains on my bed. Buffet breakfast and lunch were served but no one speaks English there, so you are on your own.

Final Word: If they gave me a free ticket for life, I would not travel on this airline. For some it was okay they said their ticket was just $700 so they expected this from a low-cost airline. Sorry, NOT ME. Hope this helped. Cheers

7  Thank realtorPebble
Reviewed September 13, 2017

I waited this long to document this because I was hoping to get a good resolution from China Southern, but was disappointed.

In 2016, my husband and I bought China Southern tickets for SFO to New Delhi, round trip with double transit in Hangzhou and Guangdong. For some reason, China Southern staff mistakenly thought my husband (traveling on non-US passport) could not double transit in China without a visa. This was an error on their part because we verified on IATA database and also talked to Chinese Embassy when in India.

From SFO, at least the Airport Manager arranged for us to take a flight on their partner airline (KLM) to Amsterdam and from there, to take Jet Airways to India. Unfortunately, he was not aware that Jet Airways was no longer doing business with China Southern and therefore did not honor the voucher. We were stuck in Amsterdam at our own expense for one night, and then the China Southern Airport Manager there got us on KLM to India the next day.

While in India, we checked the IATA database and confirmed with the Chinese Embassy that a visa in not required for the double transit in China, as long as we stayed in the airport.

We were actually waiting at the gate to board the flight when the Delhi Airport Manager came on duty and sent her clerk to pull us off the flight. We asked that she met with us face to face to see the IATA printout we had or help put us on another flight, if she truly believed my husband could not double-transit without a visa. She refused. She even refused to talk to us on the phone and simply had her clerk reverse us through India Immigrations, and we were literally thrown at the curb of the New Delhi Airport at 2 am to find our own way back to SFO.

The clerk advised that we went to the one ticket booth at the airport to buy the next day's China Southern flight. We chose to use another airline and we had to stay in India another night, again at our own expense.

Since returning to the US, we had tried for a year to get a refund for the portion of the flight which we never took, if not reimbursement for all the additional expenses we had to incur due to the mistakes of the China Southern staff. We were initially ignored, and then finally with the help of the US DOT, they responded and belatedly offered to refund us for the leg of the flight we never took. However, that was just a ruse because they never made good on the agreement on the refund, and have been ignoring us against since.

At this point in time, I have given up hope that they would do the right thing, and decided to document this experience, in hope that other travelers would not fall prey to China Southern.

2  Thank ALim_Usa
Reviewed September 13, 2017

Flew with China Southern domestic service from Xian to Hang Zhou. The flight was on time and crews were courteous. They gave us light dinner even though the flight was only about two hours in duration. Arrived a little ahead of schedule in Hangzhou. All in all pretty good experience.

2  Thank asiana747