“Seats were not fully reclinable on my flight in business class”
Review of China Eastern Airlines

Reviewed January 20, 2020

Small airplane with not fully reclinable seats, so on a 5hours night flight I could no basically sleep - service is good but food is really lousy, I did not have anything onboard and we are talking on a business class ticket . Entertainment system is ok but screen too small, I watched Netflix on my laptop

• Food and Beverage
    • Check-in and boarding
Write a reviewReviews (5,013)

Reviewed January 20, 2020

This is the worst airline my partner and I have travelled on.
The prices are good and similar to others.
HOWEVER, the food was questionable as the packing was lose with the foil and looks as though it had just been placed on top of the tray.
The service was not good.
Other airline's we have used the staff come along with drinks etc. The staff on this flight did not. You had to go and ask them for a drink.
They do not understand English and being an airline you would have thought English would have been speakable.
THE WORST SCENARIO is that when all the passengers got off the plane 60% of them were coughing. When we boarded the plane we were all ok.
It seems the plane maintenance is not good and suspect that the Air Filters in the cabin are not cleaned and replaced.
On my return to UK I had to see my doctor as the 3 weeks on holiday I suffered bad coughs due to the airline.
Other airlines spray antiseptic before and after the passengers arrive and disperse.
Other airlines all give a free toothbrush and paste. China Eastern gives you NOTHING.
The staff at the China airport are rude and arrogant.
I spoke to them in the same manner and they did not like it.
I WIL NOT be travelliing with CHINA EASTERN anymore.

Date of travel: December 2019
    • Food and Beverage
    • Check-in and boarding
1  Thank olderessexguy
Reviewed January 19, 2020

Learned a lesson on choosing the cheapest ticket option on Expedia. Was never able to check in on-line for departure flight. Seat assignment was internal seat with no legroom as there was a seat support under the seat in front of me. Once airborne 4 exit row seats were empty one row up. I asked two different very rude flight attendants if I could change seats and offered to pay. I was told that the only payment accepted would be Chinese cash?? Maybe this is how it works on Chinese airlines? Never again !!

Reviewed January 19, 2020 via mobile

This was the second time we flew with China Eastern. You can't fault the prices. The flights themselves are fine. The flight attendants are very kind and I saw them exercise extreme patience with many passengers who I genuinely don't think
had ever flown before and just didn't understand the rules as well as some passengers who I fear were quite racist and treated the Chinese attendants like dirt. Major respect for how calmly and professionally they handled some uncomfortable situations.
The only gripes we had were: 1. on arrival to Beijing after our connection through Shanghai as we returned from Vancouver, one of our bags had been "detained" because of the security scan in Shanghai (there was nothing in the end) and no staff in Beijing spoke any other language than Mandarin. Now... I KNOW we were in China, but it is an international airline and you'd think they'd have at least one person who could communicate in another language. Between us we speak 3 languages fluently and 2 more well enough to get by. One of those is not yet Mandarin (but we're learning - it's really hard!). Luckily we had a friend who we called and communicated for us - but many others wouldn't have this luxury. In the end we got the bag back, but had to pay for the delivery. We weren't too pleased about that - especially as we hadn't done anything wrong.
#2, we had booked to and from PEK rather than the new Daxing airport. We flew out from PEK but only found out at check-in in Vancouver that we were arriving in Daxing - which is MILES away from our home. Turns out they moved all flights to the new airport after the new year.
I wouldn't recommend and wouldn't discourage anyone from booking this airline.

1  Thank HotelLover2009
Reviewed January 18, 2020 via mobile

KL shanghai sector was shanghai airlines but from shanghai to NY it was China eastern. All in all a reasonable experience. The fare which was off season was rm 5k return! I believe it can be even lower. 2x20kg. The service was very efficient and responsive. Couldn’t help but feel that they are still evolving as a business. The staff can be more personal rather than just efficient. But that’s already better than most western airlines when they don’t want u to “disturb” them. They speak mandarin as default but they are bilingual.