“Great Airline!”
Review of ANA (All Nippon Airways)

Reviewed April 22, 2017

We opted to fly with ANA using BMI regional to connect to their flight in Frankfurt, and on return via Munich to Bristol. This was significantly cheaper than a direct flight from London, and saved us travelling to Heathrow too. We booked the flights through ANA's partner airline Lufthansa.

The good: online check in was easy, boarding passes added to Apple Wallet, or you can have them e-mailed. Alternatively, pick them up at the airport. At the airport, staff were very helpful. As we booked through a codeshare, we couldn't change our seats after initially booking. At Frankfurt, I asked if there were others on the other side of the plane with 2 seats rather than in a three, but as it was fully booked it wasn't possible. Next thing we knew, we were paged back to the desk as the couple in the exit row were ineligible and the man we spoke to asked if we'd be happy to be moved. Nice of him to think of us!

The outward flight was on a 777, we were in the exit row so had lots of legroom. Despite being near the galley and toilets, we didn't have too much noise or many people congregating near our seats as many slept through the flight. The seats are slightly narrower with the tray table and IFE screen in the arm of the seat, but it's not too bad. The crew were very attentive, regularly passing through the cabin with water and juice. There were snacks and drinks left in the galley to help yourself to as well.

We had our main meal about an hour into the flight - there was a Japanese option and a Western meal (chicken in a sauce and vegetables). The food tasted okay and there was sides of noodles, salad and salmon sashimi. Plenty of drinks to choose from, soft drinks, beer and wine. They also brought around strawberry ice cream for dessert.

About 2 hours before landing, a hot breakfast was served again, a western or Japanese option was available, along with yoghurt, fruit and drinks.

Return journey to Munich was on a 787. Plenty of leg room in economy here, and again excellent service from the crew. Continually doing water and juice runs through the cabin, and again snacks and drinks in the galley.

IFE was very good on both flights - plenty of films and TV episodes to choose from. The screens were a decent size with remotes and touch screen on the 787.

For some reason we couldn't check in online for our return flight and annoyingly, they also couldn't check us in for our MUC-BRS flight or through check our bags which made me a little anxious as we had 2 hours to connect at MUC. MUC is a very efficient airport, so it worked out fine, but it wasn't explained why this was a problem and it was pretty busy at Haneda so I didn't push here. The check in agent was apologetic about it and did try to get it checked through.

Overall, ANA is a great airline, with excellent legroom and very good service. The crew worked hard on both flights, and despite being almost twelve hours, these were some of the more comfortable long haul flights I've experienced in economy.

1  Thank Lucy R
Write a ReviewReviews (7,120)

Reviewed April 21, 2017

One of my favorite airlines to travel on when I am going from the US to parts of Asia or back. Comfort, service, every part of the travel experience was worth the money spent.

Reviewed April 21, 2017

Pros: 34inch legroom which is great. Great check in process with minimal waiting for international flights.

Cons: 17 inch seat width is just horrific (less than most Low cost carriers). Window seats are flush with the window meaning that you have absolutely no shoulder room and cannot lean onto window area to sleep.

Also, be aware that ANA are absolutely hopeless in International-Domestic transfers at Haneda. After coming off an international flight, the process is supposed to be simple and streamlined. 40mins+ line -awful

Reviewed April 20, 2017

I got booked on this flight at the last minute in Zurich where I was supposed to connect to a SWISS flight to Tokyo but missed it due to the delay of the previous flight.
I asked the gate staff at BRU if there were any isle seat available. She said all they had was a middle seat, but to check back later. I didn't want to bother them so I gave up and stood in line for boarding about an hour later. My boarding pass got red-lighted when I scanned it, and they told me I have a new boarding pass. The gate staff remembered about me and found an isle seat that became available and printed a boarding pass for me. A great care by the Brussels Airlines crew.
On board, they were really polite and kind as usual. The B787 is a comfortable plane. I had a bulkhead seat where the tray table is in the armrest. This table is smaller than the regular table, and since it is folded, it doesn't get level and stable, making it hard to eat on it.
The food was perfectly acceptable for a Japanese. If you don't like Japanese food, it might be a little challenge, but shouldn't be too bad. Even their "Western" choice was beef curry & rice, which is Japanese, and it comes with Japanese soba noodles.
Overall, it was a very pleasant and peaceful flight.

Reviewed April 20, 2017

ANA and JAL both offer the Experience Japan very reasonably priced discounted flights for foreign travelers. Opt for JAL. ANA enforces much more strict checked and carry-on baggage restrictions. ANA also flies old, slow turbo-prop planes while JAL flies new jets on the same routes. ANA offers almost no in-flight amenities or service while JAL offers pleasant flights with beverage and snack service.