“Checked Bags”
Review of American Airlines

Reviewed May 22, 2019

Date of flight May 21, 2019. Got ticket and went to gate C-14, the check in process started and was going smoothly we were in group 7 of 9. At the gate the airline customer service rep made an announcement that anyone that was in group 8 or 9 would have to check their bags at the gate. As we were going to board the flight, the Customer Service rep said that we would have to check our bags at the gate. When I inquired why she told me that our bags were too big. I motioned to the lady that was just walking through the door, her bag was larger and thicker than our bags. She again said that our bags were too large, my wife asked her why we were able to take them on the plane going to Charlotte. She said that they were too big and would not fit in the overhead bins. First the plane was larger than the one we flew down on and the overhead compartments were larger than the previous flight. I don't know what this so call "Customer Disservice" rep was thinking. I had an appointment at 4:45 p.m. and barely made it. Having to check my bags cost me 30-40 extra minutes at Logan, which caused me to get stuck in the beginning of rush hour traffic. I barely made it to the appointment. Reason 2 as to why I will never fly on this airline again.

1  Thank Jeff P
Write a ReviewReviews (60,629)

Reviewed May 22, 2019

Got to airport 2 hours early as we always do. Got E-mail 1 hour before flight left telling us flight will be delayed, was supposed to leave at 10:34 and arrive in Charlotte at 12:40. When I asked why the flight was being delayed I asked why was told that one of the bathrooms was not working. This was around 9:30. At 11:20 the airline counter person announced the the part needed to fix the bathroom had just arrived from Laguardia and that they would start working on it and get us going as soon as possible. There were many passengers scrambling to find other flights so that they could make a connecting flight and get to their destinations. At 12:30 we start the boarding process only to wait for another 40 minutes because the paperwork wasn't done. How can you not have the paperwork done???? they had hours to get it right. We didn't land in Charlotte until well after 3:00 p.m. I had tickets to take my grandsons to the All Star Race t Charlotte Motor Speedway complete with pit passes so that we get get up close to the cars and drivers. By the time I got to my sons house we never got to get into the pits because they had closed. This cost me $ 150.00 and we never used the passes. Not to mention that my son and daughter friend were supposed to do a quick one night get away and that was cut short because of American Airlines incompetence. I will never fly on this airline again. If I have a choice between American and another airline and the price cost $1,000.00 dollars more I will pay the difference.

1  Thank Jeff P
Reviewed May 22, 2019

Had booked for my wife and myself. When checking I was advised that we had seats one behind the other rather than side by side. When queried, I was advised that this is common issue with overseas bookings - great. As I travel a lot through the Middle East Europe and Asia I am used to having lounge access with business class - NOT WITH AMERCIAN AIRLINES. I subsequently find out that this is common with all USA airlines - it is mile flown that gets you access not class of seat!

I also lodged a complaint with AA prior to flying which was basically dismissed with no apology which arrived 10 days later. Great customer service - not!

On top of that I ended up with food poisoning on the flight! A wonderful start to a holiday.

Date of travel: April 2019
1  Thank 717mischal
Reviewed May 22, 2019

I flew business class London to Raleigh Durham, this is not a cheap flight. Boarding was a bit of a mess with a free for all for groups 1-3 and people needing assistance and those with young children boarding together. My seat was 1L. The overhead luggage compartment was full of the airlines equipment, and you were not allowed to any bags (however small) in front of you for take off and landing. This is not a good seat because of the wall on the left - it is literally a seat squeezed into a corner. When it came of food selection they run out of the main course that I chose - I can understand this happening in standard class but business class when fares are so high? The dish I was served of pasta was poor. I ordered the cheese and fruit - amazingly the "fruit" was one date!!

1  Thank md1mm
Reviewed May 21, 2019 via mobile

For an airline that has a 5 star rating sticker on the actual plane when you eventually board, you have to wonder how this happened. By all means, if you can keep up with the constant gate changes, this is your airline :) if you love paying $100 for baggage, this is for you and to top it off, if you would love to pay an extra $100 for baggage for being 7 pounds over (for bags that are on the same flight) then happy days, enjoy! We thought southwest was a bit mediocre but compared to american they are first class :)

1  Thank Anna R