“If you want to have a good trip, do not book american.”
Review of American Airlines

Reviewed May 21, 2019

Absolutely from start to finish the worst flying experience I have EVER had. we boarded our plane at 6:20 am, they had to bring it back to the gate TWICE to “fix” something, decided on the third attempt of taking off that they couldn’t fix it and told us to deplane at 9:30 am. we got off the plane and had to entirely rebook our trip. we ended up finally leaving from Tulsa at about 12 that day, had to fly to Dallas, then Miami, and when we got to miami they tried to be difficult about giving us a hotel for the evening because it was “weather related” delays even though I had bought the trip insurance and it definitely wasn’t weather every single announcement and flight attendant said ‘mechanical’. the airport staff were extremely apathetic and really didn’t seem to care that we were losing an entire day of our trip. Then when we arrived in Belize, they realized they had lost one of our bags in miami, after we had expressly described each piece of our luggage in detail and they promised they would get all of our bags retagged and to our destination several times. This has been the worst flying experience i’ve ever dealt with and i have been flying for my entire life. i have never had an experience so difficult and frustrating with another airline. I will NEVER fly american again and if someone so much as mentions american I will be letting them know it is the absolute worst airline to fly. Just fly Delta or United.

Date of travel: May 2019
Write a ReviewReviews (60,614)

Reviewed May 21, 2019

To leave N.O. @ 4:30p.m., after 4 delays left @ 8:40. In DLS/FW bout 10 people rushed to gate for connecting flight (last tp PHX that night) & they were closing to doors to loading ramp. Basically said to bad door is closed & even tho, you were delayed over 3hrs in N.O. can't delay this flight so you can board. Sent to AA cust service which had approx 400 people in line.In that line about 1 hr. Were told because the delays were maint. issues they would cover ground transport, room, & meal vouchers. Next flight to Phx was @ 8:30 am but 1 would fly direct & other 2 would route to Alb.,N.M. & transfer there. We said no & booked 4:30 pm. Were in line 1&1/2 hrs & hotel. Hotel advise AA had reserved 100 rms & wanted more they couldn't do.Got into a rm about 1;30 am. The $12 ea. food voucher did cover decent meals & the rm. @ Sheridan was very comfortable. Sent this same review to AA & they never even responded to me.

1  Thank mommt1433
Reviewed May 21, 2019

The flight was comfortable and smooth. Light snacks were provided. The prices of the tickets for the service provided was good. Staff was nice and did their best to accommodate us in the next flight after we accidentally missed ours. Traveled with my 6 year old and all was good and smooth.

Reviewed May 21, 2019 via mobile

We were booked on the 6pm return flight from DC to New York. At 3:30, we tried to get on the same flight at 4pm after a mad dash to the new terminal. Trying to get home for a family event. The 4pm has 30 empty seats. The unbelievably rude gate agent at gate 33 refused to honor our ticket. So American Airlines loses a customer and a ticket they could have resold. We return to our original terminal only to find the gate had been changed to the terminal we just left. Thank you twice gate agent. We enjoyed the extra two hours in the airport and two tours of the airport on the shuttle bus. Never again!

1  Thank Katymill2014
Reviewed May 21, 2019

Those who know me know that I try to see the best in everything. I tend to give higher marks than other people for hotels, restaurants, and attractions. But our attempt to fly to and from Baton Rouge to see our son's graduation at LSU turned into a most unpleasant adventure. We encountered delays leaving Portland because the pilots were 90 minutes late arriving. They had been told to arrive late because planes were being delayed into DFW. But no one told the flight attendants or passengers until we had already boarded the plane and sat waiting for the pilots to arrive. Then, when the pilots arrived, we taxied a few hundred yards from the terminal and stopped, just to be told that we were delayed again for weather reasons. But, of course, since we were sitting on the plane near a runway, no one could leave to make other flight plans.

We encountered worse problems on the return flight which, instead of one day, required three days of delays of cancellations, the last caused by equipment malfunction. Although we were given hotel and meal vouchers in DFW, I was glad I checked Trip Advisor for reviews of the hotel. It was given the the worst reviews of any hotel I have ever read about. In other words, American chooses to "comp" passengers into a very bad, and possibly dangerous, experience. (I'd rather not mention the name of the hotel here.)

The worst sin was the lack of communication with passengers (and apparently also with flight personnel.)

Suffice it to say that we resolved to avoid American Airlines whenever possible in the future.

1  Thank 764PhilipW