“Is this a Budget airline....”
Review of American Airlines

American Airlines
flight AA 1064
25 april 2019
San Diego to Dallas Fort Worth

We completed digital checkin and arrived at the airport for bag check in and payment.
The website indicates $25 per bag, yet were charges $30. Apparently the price changed in Jan 2019, yet our booking and website still indicates $25 is payable for each bag.

Despite my credit card being charged for my luggage, the bag self check-in machine did not provide me a receipt for payment.

Bag drop, as my bag was a few pounds over weight, they wanted to charge me USD $100 extra, but were happy for me to take out some luggage to carry onboard.
Irrespective, the weight is still on the aircraft, so this small excess weight makes no sense.
At no time did the FRIENDLY (not) baggage check lady say exactly how much i was over, as the website says 50 pounds or 23 Kg .
I would like to question the accuracy of their scales as my bag weighted less than 23 Kg before i departed my hotel.

After removing the excess weight we progressed to security and scanning.
My back pack was pulled aside for further inspection . The sole man checking these selected bags was super super slow, i observed him putting on rubber gloves which took him at least 5 minutes. At that rate the ever mounting bags would not get get checked prior to the owners flights departing.
Totally no sense of urgency from the security man.

The flight departure was on time.
One drink and a snack was provided on board at no cost.
Wifi is available but has a charge for use.
Entertainment onboard was free, but interrupted so many time by staff announcements, made watching a movie frustrating.

Arrival into Dallas For Worth was 30 ahead of schedule, but as we sat and taxied in the tarmac for a while, arrival to the terminal was only 5 mins ahead of schedule.

All in all a fair smooth flight.

1  Thank NeilC2607
Write a ReviewReviews (56,508)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Last minute reservations to attend a funeral...Got a reasonable price and the schedule I needed. Was in boarding group 9 (back of the bus), but didn't need any more baggage than a change of clothes. The flight served my purposes: an inexpensive flight, when I needed it.

• Food and Beverage
    • Check-in and boarding
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I have flown with American many times since the 80’s. The American staff have always and continue to be the airline’s greatest asset. Everyone we dealt with that had an American Airlines badge on were very nice. However the level of greed and services for the price charged has declined greatly since my first trips. On my (our) most recent flight - an almost 6 hour nonstop from Charlotte to San Francisco we were very disappointed. During our flight we received a bag of pretzels and a drink...that’s it. If we wanted anything else we had to pay an additional fee. Also there was no in flight entertainment except on your personal device and you had to download the AA app before flight to access it. This requirement was mentioned NOWHERE during the purchase process. On a recent trips to Europe we have flown on Air France, Virgin Atlantic, British Airways, and SwissAir. Even on short hops like a less than two hour flight (Paris to Copenhagen) we received a drink (or 2), and a sandwich without an additional charge. Can someone in the airline industry just be upfront and honest about what you get when you buy a ticket? Then to add to my hunger American managed to lose my (and others) luggage even though we arrived more than 2 hours before our flight! I did get my luggage 18 hours later after I had to buy additional clothing besides what I had packed in my computer bag. American will be our ABSOLUTE LAST CHOICE for our future trips unless they change the way they do business.

2  Thank 243JKK
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Sat 4/6/19-FOUR FIRST CLASS seats on AA #1527 Providenciales-Miami 3:39pm. Flight 2 hours late, then got new plane ended up leaving after 5pm. Different plane due to “Mechanical Error” Our connecting flight to Seattle our seats were given away when we called them at 6:40pm and flight was leaving at 8pm, we were waiting for baggage & could have ran to gate. NO more flights out that night! Told us we will be on stand by next morning on a 4/7@ 5:40am Flight #1226 Miami-Dallas . Got to hotel 11pm, woke up 3 hours later at 2am to be at airport to check in for early flight. Counter does not open until 4am! Stood in line for an hour, the line was down around the counters, ton of people!! Rep looked up our tickets & said the AA rep put us on a MONDAY 4/8 flight not Sunday! We were so mad, we did not have another hotel voucher, and were told Sunday. So the rep found us a stand- by on AA flight 1297 Miami-L.A. 7:08am, we went to that gate waited 3 hours and there were 21 on stand by for that flight! We did not get on, and our luggage left. So, went to desk again they then put us on stand by on AA Flight 1228 for 8:05am. Miami- L.A. That flight had 24 people on stand- by! Did not get on that flight. Went to desk & then got put on AA Flight 305 Miami-Seattle 7:23pm.So now we have 12 hours to wait. That flight ended up being an hour late leaving! We paid for 4 first class ticket & were given 4 coach seats. Stuck in Miami airport OVER 24 hours!!! No one would talk to us every rep said "go online". So when we got home we went online and filed complaints. Took them over a week, not one person called to say sorry, or se hwo they could make it right, NOTHING. Then we get an email we were getting $385 credit per ticket x 4 is $1540. I called our travel agent she said it was far more than that difference from First Class to coach. So sent more emails. They said the have a "refunds dept" that handles that "& if that is what they decided that was all we were going to get". I went online to AA.com and looked up Saturday flights, Miami to Seattle all different months to see what the price differences were. And took 6 flights, and calculated the average & it was $712.50 difference per ticket! That is $327.50 more than our refund! SO I am STILL emailing & complaining trying to make this fair. I paid them & did not get those seats they owe us I feel. And they gave is $12 food vouchers for 26 hours at airport & the airport café did not accept them!! DO NOT FLY AMERICAN******

• Food and Beverage
    • Check-in and boarding
1  Thank PattersonPark2005
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Too many delays! Our flight was delayed an hour going to Dallas! Apparently it takes that long to clean the wings from a little dusting of snow. Delays coming back because no area to land in. Just expect lots of delays and no tv in the planes. First and last time flying American. Take Delta!

1  Thank Nina42139