“Nice, But Pricy Upgrade”
Review of American Airlines

Reviewed September 22, 2017

I was very excited about this flight. I have been accumulating frequent flyer miles with American for years. I had over 100 thousand, so I decided to use some of them. Business class is a great option when you are facing a 14-hour flight, but paying three thousand dollars more is not possible for me. Needless to say, I was thrilled at the idea of taking business class without paying the extra three grand.
I called American to upgrade my ticket and was told that there would be a 700-dollar fee since I booked my ticket on Orbitz and did not pay the ‘full price fare’. I was a little put off by this. It almost seems like false advertising. However, I elected to still take the upgrade since I payed an unusually low price on Orbitz. I had to wait three weeks before I found out that I got the upgrade. I was told that someone would call me to confirm and let me know that they were billing my card for the fee, but no one ever called me. Instead, they charged my card without my knowledge. I didn’t find out about it until I checked the status online after not hearing from them for so long. That was not cool, but I figured I would try to enjoy the flight.
At the airports, we were told that we had access to the Admiral’s Club VIP lounge. They were nice. Great food buffets a lot of drink options and a bar. It was much more preferable than waiting at the gate.
The plane was the new Boeing 777 Dreamliner, which was redesigned and implemented for the 288 and 289 flights about a year ago. It eliminated first class, so there is only economy and business class. Business class seats are great! They fold out into beds. You have a large TV with hundreds of movies, TV shows, music, games, etc. complete with Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones to keep you entertained. The WiFi cost an additional fee too; I was not happy about that, considering that they advertise WiFi but don't tell you about the fee until you are on the plane. The food was not as good as I expected. I tried the steak for dinner. It was not as good as first class on the old planes. It had a strange texture. I also tried the miso sea bass on the return flight, which was better. Overall, I would say the food is average and leaves a lot to be desired for the price. The flight attendants were nice and accommodating, although my wife had a guy that was a little impatient and rude for part of the flight.
The cleanliness of the plane was also a little disconcerting. I had to reach under my seat because I dropped something. I found a lot of crumbs, a nasty, used bandaid, and a sock. That was gross.They do a good job cleaning the parts that you can see, but it seems that they take shortcuts sometimes.
For the money and what you get, I would never pay for a business class ticket. I also would have reservations about paying 700 dollars for an upgrade again. The only clear and decisive advantage is the space. All of the other ‘perks’ like the food, the TV, the VIP lounges, the alcohol just aren’t worth the money. I think that in the future, I’ll use my miles for free flights, rather than upgrades.

• Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Write a ReviewReviews (41,472)

Reviewed September 22, 2017

We expected to pay the normal fee for having two large suitcases sent as cargo however we did not expect to have personnel at the curb side check-in demand a tip for carrying out this service.
Boarding is via numbered groups and although we were seated at the front of the aircraft we were among those in the later boarding groups. It is annoying to find overhead luggage bins are already full - usually by someone seated at the rear of the aircraft who boarded earlier. The aircraft was an Embraer seating 99 passengers. The flight departed 25 minutes late. Seating and cleanliness were OK and the cabin appeared to be fairly well maintained. Leg room was adequate.Service by two cabin crew was fairly basic but friendly.
Although we were flying to Greenville NC we had a plane change in Philadelphia. Due to the late departure in New York we had limited time to get from Terminal C to Terminal F via a shuttle bus.
The flight from Philadelphia to Greenville was with American Eagle using an Embraer 50 seater aircraft. The cabin showed a neglect of maintenance. The reading light above seat 8Cdid not work and the fold down tray for seat 8B was taped closed with a sign attached saying inoperable. Service by the one cabin crew was basic but friendly. Leg room was OK for the short flight.

Reviewed September 22, 2017 via mobile

After flying two economy airlines where you had to pay for carry on bags let alone water, flying a real airline was refreshing. I'd never flown American before this, but I'd fly them again in a heartbeat over say United (I'd rather bloody walk). Since it was a relatively short flight, we had just some
TV shows to watch and also some music to listen to. And I didn't have to pay for water or soda! We had a bumpy Landing but a hurricane was a few miles off shore. We landed safely though and On time. That's what mattered. LGA though is kind of a ghetto airport. Compared to the likes of MIA, ATL and even FLL, hard to think this airport has as much traffic as it does in one of the bustling cities of the world.

Reviewed September 22, 2017

One of the best trips. The staff was outgoing and available to the passengers. One of the best onboard steaks I have had. On our fight from LAX to CLT Gretchen was a rock star. The food on both flights was excellent as well as customer service. The pilots did a great landing.

Reviewed September 22, 2017

The flight crew were not very courteous as I´ve already listened about, but food and beverage were good. The option of flight from Brazil to Europe by USA seamed very bad for the amount of time in connection, but everything worked out