“AS LONG AS YOU HAVE STATUS, YOU WILL BE TREATED WELL”
Review of American Airlines

Reviewed August 29, 2017

There was a problem when we arrived at the airport; the plane had a flat tire and we had to wait. Someone at AA decided that, because of the potential problematic connection, we should be rerouted. Instead of having us go through Miami, they wanted us to go through Fort Lauderdale at no expense to the airline. They somehow expected that we should get through Miami airport, clear customs and immigration and take a taxi to Fort Lauderdale airport in under two hours! Anyone who has ever flown through Miami knows that this is impossible. They finally told us that we could get as far as Buffalo but that we would need to drive to Toronto at our own expense. It was the only way that we could get to Toronto in time for my conference.

Meanwhile, we could see that the plane was going to be repaired in time so we asked to stay on the same plane and the gate representative told us it would be no problem. We arrived in Miami with about an hour to go, raced to the gate where we were told that our seats had been given away but that we could still fly to Toronto but in economy. They assured us that they hadn't given our seats away to upgrades but, after much wrangling, my husband (who has Platinum status) so they finally gave him his seat back but I was moved back to economy.

I was annoyed but needed to get to Toronto before the next flight would get me into Toronto (which would have been the next morning) so I accepted it. Turns out, the guy I was sitting beside told me that his wife had been just that morning upgraded! Turns out, she was sitting in my assigned seat! I am not Platinum so I guess it was okay to put me in the back of the bus. We requested a refund and received $128 back. That was no where near the cost of the difference between economy and business class.

Unfortunately, we usually have to fly through Miami to get anywhere so I will need to keep using American but I would gladly change airlines if I had the opportunity! I am using a different airline when I need to fly back to Canada in September but only because I am flying to the west coast.

• Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Write a ReviewReviews (45,336)

Reviewed August 29, 2017

Flew first class from Dallas to JFK. Service was pleasant but average, nothing to rave about. They passed out some pre packaged snacks and by the time they got to the last row it was slim pickins - just the crap was left and they didn't have any more of anything good! The first class area was pretty dirty. Lots of crumbs and crap in all the crevices around the seat and tray tables. Also some trash in the seat pocket. Window shade was broken and would only close halfway. Very disappointing.

Reviewed August 29, 2017

I use a cane and American has always treated me right. Some other carriers have treated me like I'm a slab of meat with little or no respect. I'll continue to use American.

Reviewed August 29, 2017

Although I was flying Economy and in boarding group 6, I was pleasantly surprised with the ease and comfort of this trip (with a connection in Dallas / Fort Worth). I don't fly much so an AA person assisted me at the kiosk with check-in and with checking my bag when they saw that I was fumbling around. The attendants at the the gate and on board were very courteous and friendly. I had plenty of legroom when seated despite the fact that I am 5 foot 10 inches tall with long legs. The plane was neatly prepared for the afternoon flight. The flight left on time and arrived pretty much on time. Very happy!

Reviewed August 29, 2017

We seem to have been flying American to and from Mexico or the Dominican Republic for several years. Our last flight was very good and the connection in Charlotte was fine. The return flight was just as good. Flight attendants on all of the flight s were very friendly.