“Surprisingly Good Business Class Product”
Review of air berlin [no longer operating] - CLOSED

Reviewed September 21, 2017

Based on reviews, the fact that this is considered a budget carrier and the fact that it was under bankruptcy, I was not expecting half as much service as we received. Granted we were in business class and were on one of their long haul premium routes, but this was about the best business class I have experienced when compared to American legacy carriers. Yes, it is not Singapore Airlines or Lufthansa. On sale tickets were 1K each way as opposed to the regular carriers 6.5K. That is a steal. We did get a standard A330 aircraft which probably also helped. There was no last minute substitution either direction. The aircraft were fresh and new. Both flights left and arrived on schedule. I was certain we would find angry, discouraged crew, but it was the exact opposite. Every person was gracious and constantly checking on us as to whether we needed anything. I am not a fan of airline food, but this was amazingly good and imaginative. The flight attendants would emerge from the galley simultaneously and present each course to me and my spouse together. I have never seen this done on aircraft, only restaurants. They would even offer seconds. Everything worked at our seats, and the IFE was of standard quality. Maybe we were lucky or the long haul flights are different that the short runs within Europe. Needless to say I am very disappointed in their retreat from SFO coming soon. The idea that we could fly nonstop to Berlin from San Francisco was amazing. Obviously something is wrong with their business model if they are hemorrhaging money for so many years. One should not have to recommend flying business class to get the best service. That is a shame since our flights showed they can pull it off from the customer's perspective. I guess it will be dismantled with the spoils going to other carriers. That is sad since consolidation never works in any customer's favor.

1  Thank Russ855

Reviewed September 19, 2017

This budget airlines offers no frill services. When I say no frill, I mean it. Barely enough legroom in standard economy, which makes for a tight feel in the seat. No beverage service that offers free non-alcoholic beverages. Sometimes, you can purchase drinks like coffee for a price. The cabin crew is efficient and friendly. It is not bad for short flights.

Reviewed September 19, 2017

This is a mean spirited airline peopled by mean spirited staff and frankly I am not surprised the airline has gone bust.

At check-in our bags were weighed and we were 1.5kg over the weight allocation for two travelers ie. 750 grams each. Most low cost carriers have a tolerance level before enforcing excess baggage fees and having explained that we had travelled internationally from Australia I would have expected them to exercise it, but apparently Air Berlin do not operate any such tolerance, I was required to buy an additional bag at a cost of 50Euros to have a bags uplifted.

The flight which was aboard a Dash 8 propeller aircraft was over an hour late taking off and when it did so no explanation was provided as to why and only one announcement had been made some 10 minutes after the scheduled departure time advising that the new departure would be more than an hour later.

The flight itself was uneventful, it was less than half full and there were literally only about six checked bags in the hold which further enraged me having been charged 50Euros for an extra bag.

I am confident to say I will never fly Air Berlin again because I think they have successfully removed themselves from operation.

1  Thank George L
Reviewed September 18, 2017

The airline was surprisingly good, the food was good, inflight staff was nice , and very accommodating. I would suggest that if you are tall you splurge for the XL seats for more leg room

Reviewed September 18, 2017

Our AirBerlin craft was replaced by an AlItalia one, which was practically luxurious compared to the nightmare of AirBerlin accommodations before that. If they can bring in Alitalia level comfort to all of their flights, I would fly with them again, but otherwise, I'm staying far away from AirBerlin.