“Crowded, communication difficult”
Review of Air China

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I realize that I was traveling on a foreign airline, however not everyone speaks Japanese and therefore communication was difficult beginning at the airport for check-in. I was told that boarding passes could be printed out 24 hours in advance . . . not so. I tried for an hour to get our boarding passes and was later told that Air China didn't allow that. No one we asked could tell us when the ticket/check-in counter opened (9:30 PM); no one spoke English (facial expressions and hand gestures had to do); once on the plane again there was a communication problem. The seats were not at all roomy (unless seated in business class); the restroom was not so clean and there were constant interruptions on the speaker, which of course we couldn't understand what was being said even when the attendants were trying to speak in English. At 2 AM it a little easier to excuse some things as one is hoping to get some sleep. However, at 12 noon it a little difficult to overlook people shaking your headrest from behind for whatever reason they may have; or having people sneezing and coughing around you without covering their mouths. I realize there's nothing flight attendants can do about that, but offering those passengers a kleenex would have been nice. I sincerely doubt I will use this airline again . . . . depends on where my travels take me.

• Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Write a ReviewReviews (3,879)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

There were no problems with the flight itself, seating was comfortable and service was good. But when we arrived there were problems. We had checked 4 bags and none arrived with us. Three of the bags were returned to us the next day, but we did not receive the 4th bag until 8 days later. Upon working with officials at the airport we discovered that when we checked in at Houston the Air China attendant made several BIG mistakes. It was recorded on computer that we boarded with no bags, and when we were given our bag stubs there, they were duplicates of only 2 bags. These mistakes were major, and we could not even understand how this could happen. We were told that our last bag had been sitting in an Air China office all the time! No compensation was given & not even an "I'm sorry" was received. If you use this airline, I would suggest that you double check EVERYTHING with the agent who checks you in at the airport.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The flight left on time but arrived 1/2 hour late in Beijing .Good weather during the flight. Don't no the reason for being late. We missed our flight to Hong Kong. The service on board was perfect and the food great. No complains. Good sleeping with a full flat bed.!
Certainly the way to fly for 14 hours.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Our flight have a 2 hours transit in Beijing Airport. Even though we ahead of time, the timing is still tight due to the countless security checks and endless queues. We were reprimanded by one of the airport staff for being late when we didn’t even waste a single minute and was rushing all along. Our luggages have to be collected and then re-checked into the domestic flight. Can’t fault the airlines on this as all they are due to the airport operations policy.

However, our main luggage was left out from our flight from Beijing to Changchun. We made a report at the luggage office in Changchun airport and were asked to wait for phone call to update us if the luggage was found. We even filled in a compensation form which the staff said it is for the cost to courier it to us. Our destination is 3hours from the airport. After 24hours without any calls received, we decided to ring the luggage department at Changchun airport and was informed our luggage was found and they will arranged for it to be couriered to us.

However, we were then told to meet the driver at a place out of town as it is easier to locate us. Because of this, we have to take a taxi. When the “courier” finally arrive in a form of an airport bus, the passengers simply get down and crowd at the side of bus waiting to collect their luggages. We tried to talk to the driver but was treated as one of the passengers and asked to wait at the side too while he takes the luggages out one by one. There was no documentation, no apologies and no checking of any form of identification before the luggage was handed to us. It was just placed there for collection just like any which means any one could have just taken our luggage if we were not there.

In order to claim the additional expenses from our travel insurance, we requested for a proof from AirChina regarding the 30+hours baggage delay. However, we were told that they have no information and the only thing they know is that our luggage did not go onto our original flight from Beijing to Changchun. Hence, they refuse to provide any form of letter/proof. We were pushed to contact Changchun luggage department time and again for the documents. However, Changchun luggage department told us that they have no records as well and just hangs up my call when I tried to ask for more information. I felt that it is the Airlines’ duty to Ensure that any delayed luggage reaches the owner. However, AirChina seems to simply push that responsibility away.

Given the disappointing experience, I would probably not take AirChina again..

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I had a flight from Lanzhou via Beijing and Frankfurt to Budapest. Even though I was early enough at the airport and had initially plenty of time in Beijing to catch my connection to Frankfurt, it didn't worked out. This could have been easily prevented already in Lanzhou by just booking on a different flight. The real incompetence started at the Beijing airport, where it took them 1 hour (yes, 60 minutes) to rebook. Nobody cared about accomodation (I arrived at 2 am in the morning) or anything. So I was finally delayed by more than 10 hours and was on top of all flying with an even worse plane via Minsk. And I received nothing, not even a "sorry". I will never ever fly with this airline again!!!

1  Thank travelphysics