Overall, I had a lovely time but from my 14 days on the ship, I do have some observations to share.

Firstly, the ship is huge, even enormous and has so many areas to enjoy its hard to differentiate and single out which was best. Personally, the coffee shop on the 5th floor is great. Good coffee and excellent service.

The World Market Place on the 15th floor offers a varied selection of food throughout the day but beware, the standard coffee for breakfast is terrible. I'm not entirely sure if this coffee has ever seen a coffee bean so opt for the Twinnings English Breakfast tea.

The staff in the restaurant on the 6th floor were brilliant.

The shops, well I think they were expensive.

Excursions, think twice about taking them because they are not cheap. Anything between $65 to $199 if not more. We arranged our own excursions and this method worked out well.

The casino..........beware, they allow smoking in the area and it stinks.

Shuttle buses to town, research because for example, in Marseille they say that the shuttle bus to town is $14.95 but they forget to tell you there is a free shuttle bus. Gibraltar, they offer a bus for £4 return if remember correctly but its only 15 minutes walk to Main Street. I guess what I am saying is that sometimes the ship only promotes its own service which invariably is expensive.

Lastly, tread carefully about how much you budget for drinks. Beers, bandy etc is above the UK prices and you bill soon adds up because they add the gratuity on top.

Gratuity. Opt out. It's not compulsory and get it taken off the bill and pay a tip as you go. I tipped our room steward and waiters as we went along. The ship will tell you that you have to pay. Remember, the ship is registered in Bermuda and as i pointed out, it is a British ship full of Americans not an American ship. Specifically, the 18% gratuity is only payable when in US waters.

Smokers. If you need to buy cigarettes do not try when in port. They cannot sell them when in port.

Laundry. Use the launderettes. Each desk has one. Average cost is 2 boxes of soap powder plus tumble dryer. I was happy to pay the $9.

Water. Beware, the bottled water is not cheap. We bought in the local shops.

Wine. I bought wine in the ports/on shore and paid the corkage of $15. It worked out cheaper.

Sun beds. Get up early and grab your beds in line with the German approach.

Contact me for more information if you wish.

Now look. Don't get me wrong. I had a good time but certain things angered me. Also remember to budget for the extras that will cost. 14 days cost us an extra $1,500 on-board and then you have to have your pocket money. Europe is not cheap anymore with the pound being almost 1 to 1.Would I go again? Probably but I would also shop around.We saw some wonderful places and for 80% we had a brilliant time.
Sail Date: August 2019
Dining
Pools & Sundecks
Onboard Activities
Entertainment
Scroll below for other great reviews

Emerald Princess

15 Night Cruise to the South Pacific
Departure date
Monday, 11/18/19
Route
Fort Lauderdale (Port Everglades), Cartagena (Colombia), Panama Canal, Fuerte Amador (Balboa), Puntarenas (Puerto Caldera), San Juan del Sur, Huatulco, Puerto Vallarta, Los Angeles
View Map

Amenities
Medical Center

Cabins

Balcony
    Cabin size: 233 - 285 sq. ft.
    Connected rooms: 83

• 2
    • 0
    • Filter
    • English
    My husband and I have been on the Emerald twice and will be boarding her again Nov. 18th for our third trip on the Emerald. The ship, food and staff have all been great.
    This was a great cruise throughout the Mediterranean. Great itinerary. We slept while the ship was at sea. In the morning we woke up in a different city, and sometimes country everyday. We visited Gibraltar, Marseilles, Genoa, and Pisa. A beautiful trip.
    I was excited to be doing my first Princess cruise with my 12 Australian friends, and looking forward to visiting the Mediterranean ports. We chose anytime dining which worked out well. The food in the dining room was reasonably good, but not the best I have had on a cruise. The
    Heath procedures let gastroenteritis spread through the ship. Once they disinfected the ship twice, started serving food rather than a buffet the epidemic slowed (1 day until the end of the cruise). WHY DIDNT THEY DO IT BEFORE WE got on the ship. The food was terrible. The
    We were set to take a 14day cruise from Athens to Rome. When we got to Barcelona, Our 14 day cruise started over as a7 day cruise. We got the same meals, entertainment, different ports. The food was mediocre as well as entertainment. Staff was outstanding. Tours were

Upcoming Itineraries

15 Night Cruise to the South Pacific
    Departure date
    Monday, 11/18/19
    The map for this itinerary is not available at this time.
    Itinerary
    Prices are cruise only, per person, double occupancy, and are provided by our partners. Taxes, fees and port expenses are not included. Fuel supplements may apply. Availability of prices is subject to the supplier’s pricing availability.