“Horrible horrible horrible”
Review of Swoop

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Flight was supposed to leave at 8:30, postponed to 12:15, postponed to 3:40. Then cancelled. Offers next flight at 19:30 the folllowing day. Gives you option for “hotel” one is a hostel the other is a roiling house 22 and 25 miles from airport respectively with no transport. Had to re-book with a $548 cost to me with no refund for the flight they cancelled. This airline is not worth what appears to a good deal, they’re a complete scam with all sorts of hidden fees and you’ll be lucky if you get to or from your destination ever and if you do you probably had to book an alternate flight same day with another airline at inflated prices.

1  Thank Mike S
Write a reviewReviews (1,159)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My partner and I first took a flight with Swoop on January 30, 2019 after purchasing a deal through their amazing sale (which we have now learned is pretty often - that's how they trick you!). Remember that the airline is supposed to be more economical so you have to pay extra for any type of luggage you want to bring with you. Having said that, our flight was delayed by 3.5 hours causing us to lose a full day at our resort in Jamaica and a planned dinner reservation outside of our resort (we weren't able to get our deposit back!). There was a lack of communication regarding why the delay and we all went from being told that it's winter and cold and flights get delayed, to we will be leaving shortly, then being told after sitting for 2 hours on the plane that the wings needed to be defrosted before we could take off - all the while all passengers are sitting on the plane waiting with no offer of water or communication from the flight crew until it was time for take off (probably more attitude than anything when we asked questions - there was even an argument between one of the flight attendants and a passenger that had to be settled down). After writing them regarding the delays - all we got was "It is with much appreciation that we thank you for bringing your concerns forward. We trust this was an isolated experience and all your future travels with us will be completely satisfactory." Trust us when we say, these are not isolated experiences. If you search Swoop reviews, these experiences seem to be happening often (social media and news - lots of issues and reports of this being regular - some situations where passengers are delayed for 3 days or more!)

This December 2019 - we decided to give the Hamilton airport another try as all-inclusive packages flying out of Hamilton saved our family of 12 at least $120 each. We thought, its a high travel season, they've been around for a little longer by now, they're sure to have fixed up their act - PLUS we'd be flying out of the airport and not directly with Swoop. But - delays again. This time 2.5 hours. Again, no communication but just that the flight before us was delayed and again, needing to defrost the wings before take off. Same thing happened on the way home - delay of 2 hours - again, the communication was the weather back home caused the delay. We checked the weather - no snow in Toronto or Hamilton...What I'm trying to conclude here is that I also think it's the Hamilton airport that is at fault. We even met with people at the airport flying with other airlines that were delayed by a day or so and planned to leave on a Thursday and were just flying out on the Saturday afternoon - seems pretty horrible.

Needless to say I think the issue here is that Swoop is not yet versed in this business or well rounded and a very unorganized company. On the other hand, the Hamilton Airport seems to not have their stuff in order either. They've tried to be another option for travelers but I would never fly with them again, even if they had a penny flight sale - I just don't trust that the flight would be on time AND if there was an issue, I'm not confident in their ability to support and resolve. People should be compensated for delays. You risk losing a day or so at your hotel/destination and when you bring this to their attention it's not taken seriously or given any real review.

I recommend to anyone that I know who loves to travel to spend the extra money and fly out of Pearson or Porter - never Hamilton, never Swoop. Pearson and Porter, in my experiences, are reliable airports with companies that have been doing this for a long time and know when to accept fault and offer customers resolution. Pay the extra money and have piece of mind.

Date of travel: December 2019
    • Food and Beverage
    • Check-in and boarding

We book flights to ontario back in October 2019 for january 18-23,2020
We found a better flight with air Canada for the trip there and decided to take the loss of the already paid for there and book with air canada.
The day before we were supposed to fly back to it Edmonton, swoop sent us an email to say that the flight has been cancelled. Called the call centre and spoke to two very rude man. They told us that because we cancelled the first flight on our trip that the other one was cancelled as well. They said they sent us an email the day before -january 22 stating that we needed to reply in order to keep our flight. Unfortunately, we didn't know anything about this as we were not connecting to Wi-Fi, and had paid for both lights so expected to be able to make them. We did get an email on the 21st of January to check in and we were able to check in. On the 22rd of January they told us via email that the flight had been cancelled. We called and spoke to Brandon who said that because we cancelled the first leg of the journey that we were not able to take the second one unless we paid again. I argued with him and told him we've already paid for both lights and the flights are not full so can we just got our seats back. He said no and we knew they were going to resell them to somebody else. He told me I was not able to get a credit, refund or be able to be on the flight. He would not allow me to speak to a manager I was very unhelpful. I would not recommend them as I now have to pay $1,000 more to fly home on top of the flights I've already paid for

1  Thank amandarK1899ZL
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

First time flying with swoop, was impressed that they came through the cabin twice with drinks and food to buy, and could even get a bit of a hot meal if you wanted one. It’s kind of a no frills airline, but it was by far the cheapest. We wanted to fly home before Christmas and come back afterwards, and Westjet was $2800, and one or two stops along the way, and Air Canada was the same but cost $3500. Not sure why those two airlines want to charge so much, doesn’t make any sense actually. We paid about $1000 for both my husband and I to fly home and back again, and would recommend this to anyone.

Date of travel: December 2019
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

After reading the poor reviews, I had hesitation in booking my nonstop Las Vegas-London flight. Fellow passengers on other airlines warned me of stories they heard. I’m happy that I did not listen to any of them and followed my instincts to give it a try.

It was one of the best airline experiences I’ve had at a very fair price. Even with all the add-ons, it was still a lower fare than other airlines and was nonstop rather than through Toronto, which is a huge plus. The flights both ways left on time, the luggage was at the baggage claim as soon as I arrived, and, honestly, the seats and leg room were more spacious than on many other airlines I have flown, which number many.

The flight attendants and agents were welcoming and personable, and I look forward to booking my next flight on Swoop. Yes, it’s possible there may be flight delays or interruptions in the future, but I experience that frequently on Air Canada anyway, so I’ll take my chance.

The only drawback is I’d love for the flights to be offered more frequently to fit my travel schedule. But if the days are convenient for your flight plans, I’d recommend Swoop without any doubt.

1  Thank happysoul1111