“Late, Late, Later”
Review of Southern Airways Express

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

What the heck is going on with these guys? Their flights between BWI and Morgantown used to be so reliable. But now, our last two flights, both in January, are being delayed for hours and hours, despite clear weather. C'mon man, get your act together. People are counting on you.

Date of travel: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (119)

Reviewed January 5, 2020

We have used this airline for the LAST time. We have used it to fly my son home from college and every time there are delays. Delays that amount to 4-6 hours. We do not live in the town that he flies into and therefore have no choice but to kill time or wait it out at the rinky dink airport. There are NO excuses for this happening every time he flies home. We will NEVER use this mode of transportation for him again.

1  Thank N7590DYbethc
Reviewed January 3, 2020

I was honestly pretty worried when I saw online that the planes were really small because I've never flown in such a small plane. However, I ended up having a really good experience. The airline gives you first class/priority security line passes, and this is super nice. I was running late and that truly made all the difference. On the planes, all of the seats had really cool views. Both the pilots & attendants were literally so nice. One of my connecting flights was delayed, but I thought that the airline employees were extremely accommodating and nice! Really good experience!

Reviewed December 30, 2019

I purchased a roundtrip ticket from BWI to AOO for the Christmas holiday. The cost was very low, so I assume this route is heavily subsidized. From BWI to AOO on Christmas day, my flight was delayed 5 times "due to weather" (leaving at 3:15 pm instead of 10:35 am). I actually felt a little guilty when I was told I was the only one on the flight (a 9-passenger Cessna), but they said the other passengers had canceled. The one-hour flight was smooth, and I enjoyed the scenery though the inside of the plane registered 100 decibels using a smartphone app that measures noise. My return flight was supposed to be tomorrow at 9:15 am. I received a text message at 8:57 pm this evening that the flight has been delayed until 6:50 pm tomorrow. I thought I had allowed plenty of time before my flight out of BWI at 3:50 pm, but I never imagined there would be a 9.5 hour delay. I called the toll-free number in the text message and informed the Southern Airways agent that the delay didn't work for me, as I have another flight to catch. I asked what they could do for me, and she said they had nothing to offer. She said I could get a credit or a refund though the travel agent used to book the ticket. I said I would pursue a refund. This basically leaves me stranded in Altoona with very few options. While I was on the phone with Orbitz to request the refund, I researched my options online. The train arrives too late. The bus arrives too late, and there are no other flights out of AOO. I did see that Southern has a flight scheduled to fly of DUJ (2 hours away) at 9:10 am for triple the price. Orbitz said their system showed the DUJ-BWI flight was at 7:45 am, and they would ask Southern if they could put me on that flight. After waiting on hold, I was informed Southern said since I had canceled my flight from AOO, I'd have to proceed with a refund from Orbitz for the flight out of AOO (which will take up to 8 weeks!) and book a new ticket out of DUJ, supposedly leaving at 7:45 am. Incensed that they didn't even mention the DUJ flight when I was on the phone with them and unwilling to give this unprofessional operation any more of my money, I declined to avail myself of the opportunity. The only option I have left to get to BWI in time for my flight tomorrow is to rent a car one way, so that's what I've done. I will never again rely on this airline for timely transportation and advise folks to steer clear of this operation unless you don't value your time and have nowhere to be.

Date of travel: December 2019
    • Seat comfort
    • Customer service
    • Legroom
    • In-flight Entertainment
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and boarding
Reviewed December 22, 2019 via mobile

Below is the email I sent southern air detailing my experiences with Southern Airlines via their Hawaii operations Mokulele Airlines. I discourage using the services of this airline under any circumstance if you are depending on making it to your intended destination. But if you feel like having to make last minute accommodations, spending extra money and staying up all night to change your other reservations this may be the airline for you

“Your airline has ruined our family vacation. After arriving 2 hours early for our 2:30 flight from Honolulu to Lahaina yesterday on December 21st our baggage was finally loaded on a cart and taken to a plane at 3:30. Surprisingly our names were not called to board and our baggage retuned to the terminal from the plane. Shortly thereafter your gate attendant notified us that our flight was cancelled and that there was nothing your airline would do to help us make it to our destination, find accommodations, or contact and make arrangements with our other services which depended on your airline getting us to our scheduled destination as in her words “it was an act of god”. We contacted your reservation line and the phone agent was confused as our flight had departed and was not in fact canceled. So it appears your airline simply bumped us from our flight and would not fly us to our destination or OGG and arrange transportation to our destination. As a result, though we prepaid for accommodations in Maui we had to secure a hotel in Waikiki at an unexpected cost. Additionally as we did not make our rental car reservation we have been informed we lost our rental car reservation and rate and must now make a new reservation for a smaller vehicle at a much more significant rate as it is last minute. Though our family booked and planned our accommodations months in advance to ensure we had the appropriate services with your utterly shocking lack of customer service and outright lies Your airline and it’s representatives have ensured we lost those and incur significant cost increases for lesser services on our once in a lifetime Christmas vacation. my brother was on The phone from 3:40 Pm yesterday until after 11 pm and then up all night on the internet trying to ensure we have flights, rental cars , lodging etc. To add insult to injury your agents would not even refund the 85 dollars in baggage fees we paid for our bags that never left the airport. I will never recommend, and will in fact discourage, use of your airline to any family or friends and will leave reviews detailing our experiences and your lack of professionalism and customer services on all available travel and social media websites for other customers to be warned and take into consideration when making travel arrangements. May you and your families have a very merry Christmas and not have to deal with a similar situation.

Date of travel: December 2019