“INSANE checked baggage fees”
Review of Thai Lion Air

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Bottom line: I won't be flying with this airline again unless they stop charging insane fees for checked baggage.

Positives: The staff were all very nice and I think helped me out as much as they could given the situation with the airline policy/system, and the flight experience was all positive.

Negative: The charge for checked luggage is VERY high if you pay for it at the airport (I think if you are able to pay more than 3 hours before take off you can get the lower fee). They don't take cards at the airport (in Colombo at least) and you have to use cash that they recognize to pay this insane fee. For 15 kg it was about 50 USD, and that only covered me from Colombo to Bangkok, not to my final destination of Yangon. (They did give me the lower fee, around 20 USD, for that connection). The airline does not automatically include ANY checked baggage, even for international flights. And here's the most "interesting" part: if you try to check in online the day before, so you can get the lower fee, it does not work. If you tell them this at the airport there's nothing they can do and you have to pay the insane price.

Not sure if the airline is ripping people off intentionally or if they just can't find a way to make the online payment for baggage work, but I saw lots of people having this issue... and looking through reviews on here it seems like its an ongoing problem.

When you purchase a ticket, be sure you are OK with paying an insane baggage fee. Maybe the cost of your entire flight!

1  Thank ghs4square12
Write a reviewReviews (1,524)

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

They are the worst airline, the baggage terms are not at all clear is some places it’s 20kg in others it’s 7kg?! And when you go to check in online it doesn’t give you an option to add baggage, so we checked in and tried to add baggage but it turns out since we had checked in online we couldn’t add more baggage?? Even though it was a day before our flight. Once again do not use them, you end up paying less elsewhere and you don’t have to deal with the bull baggage rules

2  Thank andresm669
Reviewed January 19, 2020

I would prefer to go by local bus than Thai lion further. It’s a cheap airline and hence many similar priced airlines r offering much better service. Both departure and arrival flight delayed . However , no excuse from their side. Staffs are rude and unprofessionals. Probably they have hired uneducated cabin crews in order to manage their cost. Simply awful !! Management should rethink.

2  Thank Iftekhar_Ahm
Reviewed January 18, 2020

I have flown with many budget airlines globally and never had many issues like with Thai Lion Air. First, you cannot pay with card on the plane. You can pay in cash with different currencies, however, be aware that they give you change only if you are paying in Thai Baht. If you are paying, like I did, in Singapore Dollars, make sure you have $1 and $2 dollars with you. Now, if you are lucky to have the right change and what to get something to eat, be prepared to be let down. Many options won't be available. I took TLA for my return flight as well and they were missign the same items as in my previous flight. They didn't have water bottles either apparently.

The worst part about these flights is how incredibly low the temperature is on the plane. I had to wear two jackets and was still freezing. I asked them for a blanket and they told me you have to pay for it. I didn't have cash on me and had to spend 5.5 hours absolutely freezing. Worst Flight Ever.

• Seat comfort
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and boarding
1  Thank EleonoraS730
Reviewed January 17, 2020

This is a terrible airline to travel with. Please beware. This is the second time I am flying with Thai Lion Air and both times the flight was delayed. This time, it was delayed over 26 hours, and the boarding crew kept telling us that the plane was delayed for 2 hours, but we waited 11 hours at the airport. In the end the flight was cancelled and they put us up in a terrible hotel which did not even have hot water for a shower. They told us that we were going to leave in the morning, but in the end the flight was scheduled to leave at 2.15 pm and even then, the flight was delayed again. This is a terrible experience and I would NOT RECOMMEND anyone to fly with Thai Lion Air.

• Seat comfort