“Charged $850 for three checked bags”
Review of Thai Lion Air

Reviewed April 19, 2019 via mobile

I booked this flight a month in advance and was given no option to buy Checked bags ahead of time. At the counter people were sweating profusely and crying and dumping their belongings all over the airport to make their bags weigh less. When we got to the front it’s because we were told it would cost $17 a kilo. It came out to almost $850 for three bags my friend and I needed to check. We only paid $200 each for the ticket. We finally got them
Down to $322 and were told to carry on an incredibly heavy bag which we were told wasn’t allowed at the gate. On top of that their was a credit card fee they didn’t tell us about that made it come to $350 on my credit card and they wouldn’t accept cash. It was so terrible I still can’t believe it happened. $350 to check two bags for a 3 hour flight.

1  Thank Ratchull
Write a reviewReviews (1,233)

Reviewed April 18, 2019

When you book with this airline online they make you estimate your bag weight to the kg, a week or months in advance. If it is overweight when you check in then you may have to pay more than you paid for the whole flight. In our case they said 9,000 baht($283US) One bag was 7 Kg over and one 5 Kg and the third was 3 Kg over. This is for two adults and a 10 yr old. Combined we weigh about 150 Kg. Our heaviest bag was only 14 Kg. In addition, they told my wife the cary on bags can not weigh over 7 kg per person and they weigh the cary on bags at the gate. I told my wife I have never seen a gate agent weigh a back pack or computer bag, I don't believe it. We fly all over the world and this is the first time in 35 years I have seen gate agents weighing cary on bags with a cheap little desktop scale with a needle, the kind you weigh small postal boxes. I guess they don't care if the flight is late because they are weighing some of the cary on. That's another thing the airplane we were taking was an hour late from Bangkok. I will never fly on this airline again. Once we were on the plane they were professional and it was a nice flight. My sons food was burnt on top. Air Asia is much better.

• Check-in and boarding
1  Thank M8521UMmartinb
Reviewed April 17, 2019

I purchased a package and the domestic travel within Thailand was through Thai Lion Air. I assumed that the baggage was all a party of the package. We never received a confirmation and any notifications regarding baggage like other airlines. We got to the counter and was told that they no longer do any free baggage and was trying to charge us $800 for our luggage which is almost more than we paid for our entire trip which was ridiculous. We eventually found out there was a service there that would ship our luggage per bag not per kilogram.

Reviewed April 17, 2019 via mobile

This airline charged me almost $500 for my bags which weighted about 30kg. I just couldn't believe it. I almost walked away from the counter which is what I should have done.... But I didn't have a choice. I wanted to go to Bangkok that day and had no idea that this airline is so horrible. I will never fly with this company again. It was really shocking experience. What a rip off...

2  Thank Marcela H
Reviewed April 16, 2019

Very nice, comfortable flight. Great time of day. Everything was fantastic on this short flight within Asia.

Date of travel: February 2019