“Beware of checked bag scam”
Review of Sky Express Airline

Reviewed May 19, 2019 via mobile

I flew sky express from Samos to Athens on 16 May. The flight left on time and arrived on time and there were no issues in the air. The seats were pretty comfortable for a small turbo prop plane. The Samos airport is very easy to navigate.

The issue I had concerned my checked bag. I Purchased my ticket online from the sky Airlines website and I purchased the level of fair that included a checked bag up to 13 kg.

When I received my email the ticket confirmation from sky express, I noticed that the ticket I purchased didn’t specifically state what level of ticket I purchased in or what the baggage allowance was. It’s simply said vaguely: “be sure to know what your baggage allowance is”. I found that very odd

When I got to the airport to check in, my bag weighed in at 12.5 kg. The agent asked me if I had a copy of my confirmation because they didn’t know what my baggage allowance was. I told them that I bought the ticket that allowed for 13 kg of baggage, but since the confirmation I received an email didn’t state that specifically, I didn’t want to show it to the agent. I asked them why they didn’t have this information visible in their computer system and they responded with “because you bought your ticket from a travel agent online”. I explained that I bought my ticket directly from their website and I would expect them to know what type of ticket I purchased. In the end, I lied and said I couldn’t find my confirmation on my phone, and because the line of people was growing behind me, they accepted my checked bag without charging me an additional fee. I found it pretty shady that an airline didn’t know what type of ticket I had booked directly from their website, as well as the fact that the email confirmation I received didn’t state what level of ticket I had purchased. I would advise other travelers to take a photo screenshot when purchasing a ticket from the website that indicates the checked baggage allowance., Or simply lie like I did when checking in. I’m not a big proponent of lying, but I felt like the airline was trying to scam me. However as I said above, we made it to Athens on time without issues. The flight was cheap and there are not a lot of choices when flying from Samos.

1  Thank BianchiRoadie

Reviewed May 18, 2019

I request compensation for damages due to unilateral flight cancellation.

I have booked and paid for a flight from Zakynthos to Athens departing at 20:30 May 15th, 2019 (Confirmation Number: 634Q0M). As I went to check in, the staff informed us that the flight is canceled which I had no clue until the moment. He told us to choose whether to refund the flight or change to the other flight departing at 11:20 May 16th. We decided to change to 11:20 to take the connecting flight at 14:20 on 16th.

Turns out, the flight cancellation was sent to Spam unlike the itinerary confirmation email, which is why it never came to my sense to check constantly for the cancellation in the SPAM box. Your company did not contact me in a conventional way, nor tried any other measure to inform the cancellation via text or proper email. I despise this lack of professionalism in your process in communicating the most critical issue as an airline. This clearly does not meet the expectation of worldly known companies such of yours.

Prior to the trip, we booked the Sofitel Athens Airport for the night of 15th (150 euros) we missed. In addition, we were forced to find accommodation at Zakynthos, which cost 51 euros. I demand you to reimburse both of these hotel expenses.

We even contacted the Sky Express +30 801 11 28288 customer center and explained the situation to the representative. However, the first agent (19:48 on the 15th) promised to check the matter and call back but it never did. The second agent (22:30 on the 15th) told us to write up an email then the agent hung up. I would like to seriously ask you to put yourself in my shoes and look at the matter. Do you believe this represents your brand’s value? I urge you to bring this case with the customer service team and discuss how it depreciates the company value, and of course CX.

I act my right to ask your response to this matter, and I am requesting compensation for the accommodation in Zakynthos and Athens, a total of 201 euros. I would much appreciate your response as soon as possible.

1  Thank zjejb
Reviewed May 16, 2019

Arrived very early from the international airport and unable to check-in we spent the morning in the cafe, The Grind, enjoying coffee and breakfast and using the wifi until staff came to fetch us once the flight had opened. Bags checked, we returned to the cafe until the flight was called and then bused to another waiting are, prior to walking to the aircraft for our flight. The plane left and arrived on time, for what was a short flight. despite this the cabin crew served refreshments. Everyone we came in contact with were friendly and helpful. Nice little airline that served us well and would use again when the opportunity presents itself.

Date of travel: March 2019
Reviewed May 15, 2019 via mobile

What a contrast. Olympic/Aegean Airways would have to be one of my favourite airlines yet Sky Express is the opposite. The crew was unfriendly, the check-in staff at Skiathos were the most unpleasant that we’ve ever experienced - as is their in-cabin luggage rules. When you buy your ticket, it is written on it that 8 kilos of in-cabin luggage is OK. Then the measurement slot box at the airport is like in “Come Fly with Us”: suddenly much smaller than any other you’d normally see. Only the smallest of rolling bags will fit. If it goes over you pay €55 per bag. It’s ridiculous. This is of course not mentioned on the ticket, as said.
Aegean just puts your bag in the hold if it’s too big for the lockers. No charge if it complies with standard IATA sizes. Sky Express is just a nasty outfit. At the gate we saw several bags that were as “big” as ours but they were local passengers so then it was clearly OK.
I’d rather catch a ferry for several hours than fly this airline ever again.

Reviewed May 12, 2019

I think this airline is ok. They found my kindle, promised a refund for my booking mistake and the lounge at Athens is OK - given that there is nothing else at the airport.