“Careful with the discounted tickets”
Review of Cambodia Angkor Air

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The check-in process was so slow in Siem Reap for our flight to Ho Chi Minh City. Since we booked our flights on sale, we had no checked baggage allowance which was not informed earlier. Check-in rep said it will cost us USD 70 for a bag. Luckily, we were two persons and we split the luggage into two and carried into the cabin.

Date of travel: September 2019
Write a reviewReviews (807)

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I found these flights through a flight search site - either Kayak or Skyscanner and realised that they were considerably cheaper than booking direct with the airline. (I booked through go to gate) In these instances you realise that you are taking a risk so you have to read the small print and then read it again!!
I read that for internal flights hold baggage was included, but not for my international flight from Cambodia to Vietnam. Booking baggage in advance through go to gate would have incurred administration costs. I tried to use the website, but it appears that you need to email them. I did, but they didn’t respond!
I had a flight into Siem Reap a couple of days before my flight so I visited the info desk in the airport to add a bag to my reservation. I was able to pay $46 (plus a small cc handling charge of around $1) for a 23kg bag using a credit card (had to try three cards before one was accepted!!)
There were three of us travelling with large rucksacks and between us 50kg so here is how we beat the system!!!!
We bought a really large cheap lightweight holdall off the market in Phnom Penh for $15. Into this we put 2 large rucksacks and maxed out at 22.9kg (we weighed our bags at the check in desk ourselves in KOS before it opened). Maximum for one of the bag dimensions is 45” so be aware. For the other rucksack we removed a small part of the frame to make sure it was below cabin dimensions and filled it with 7kg and did the same with 2 other cabin bags - Ryanair style.
You can then also carry on board a ‘lady bag’ (this is a new hilarious phrase of ours). It doesn’t say how much this can weigh, but I would say think of it as a laptop bag. Into these three bags (we had a cotton tote bag, a Longchamps shoulder bag and a Ryanair sized free hand bag we put heavy items such as books.)
The day before I tried to check in online, but could find the correct web page, but I now know that you have to use the h t t p s address. I sent Cambodia Angkor Air a Facebook message and they responded immediately. Maybe this form of communication would work to add bags?

I came across another problem here as I could not add my 16 year old daughter’s passport details as they had her registered as a child (born 2003, but the earliest year I could enter was 2007). We arrived at the airport expecting a debate!

We were able to check in at the desk no problem and were very pleased with our 22.9kg in the hold. Check in staff were pleasant and we may have got away with more.
At KOS no one even glanced at our 7kg cabin bags or our lady bags.
If we would have been ill-informed the bags we had would have cost $270 on the day at the airport so we feel victorious.
Do your homework and plan ahead and you will be fine. You have to add a bag either 4 or 24 hours ahead (can’t quite remember)

Here are details of the two pieces of cabin baggage you can carry

(*): A small handbag (include below bags):

01 Lady handbag or book, magazine, camera, children food kit, duty free bag..etc with the dimension not to exceed ( H x W x D ) 30cm × 20cm × 10 cm / 12’’ x 7,9” x 3,9”.
01 jacket bag not to exceed 114cm × 60cm × 11cm / 45” x 24” x 4,3”.
01 laptop bag not to exceed 40cm × 30cm × 10cm / 16” x 12” x 7,9”

Passengers (except infants) are allowed a piece of hand baggage on the aircraft. Hand baggage must not be larger than 115cm / 45inch and the maximum weight is 7kg.

- Such baggage must fit under the seat in front of you or in the baggage compartment in the cabin. Baggage that is classified as overweight and/or is not properly packed is not allowed to be carried on the plane.

We flew on a 10 year old prop - adequate for the short trip - we actually landed 30 minutes early on a 1h 10m flight so I can’t complain at all!! Offered a cup of water which we declined.

Date of travel: October 2019
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and boarding
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Beautiful country & a great airport. However this airline is terrible & should be avoided.Ground staff were rude really unhelpful. I purchased baggage in advance & had a receipt but it wasn’t showing on their system. I was forced to pay cash at more than double the online rate otherwise they wouldn’t take my bag’s. Awful experience.
Ps my flight was cancelled on the way out as well.

Date of travel: November 2019
    • In-flight Entertainment
    • Value for money
2  Thank budgestar
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

We checked in baggage the day before departure $30, when we arrived at check in we was informed we hadn’t checked in any baggage despite showing our receipt. Check in staff and checkin manager Peng Chan Theavy was so rude and so unhelpful to the point of Peng Chan Theavy refusing to help us navigate their website to show proof of purchase as a result we had to pay an extra $65 to check in our bag we couldn’t use card so had to use ATM with another charge of $4 disgusting service and an absolute con!

Date of travel: November 2019
    • In-flight Entertainment
3  Thank klaireh9
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This airline is very unreliable. Delay and late are their middle name. The airplane is old and small. The counter wont open till 1.5 hrs before boarding time, now with all the security stuffs, it did not leave us any extra time to sit down to relax before boarding. They delayed all their flights, they think we made plans to travel on time is not a serious matter to them. They suck. Their customer service suck. I would never use this airline ever again. It happened to my cousin as well. Long story short, they never kept their promises when they said they would change your ticket time without charging us, and it was not our fault to change the time. Dont like any bit about this airline. Go somewhere else. Your time worths more than waitings hours for their delay.

Date of travel: October 2019