We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fantastic Tour Guide in Jeju-do

Singapore
Level Contributor
27 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Fantastic Tour Guide in Jeju-do

I visited Jeju-do for 2 days with my colleague about a month ago (12 - 13 Dec 2010). As this is our first trip to Jeju-do, I took the advice of tripadvisor forum and emailed Mr Won.

As I could not find much reviews on the hotels/pension house with ondol in Jeju-do, I also sought Mr Won's advice. Not only did Mr Won help us to check for ondols within our budget, he went a step further by making reservations on our behalf.

When we flew in to Jeju-do on 12 Dec morning, Mr Won first drove us to the pension house to check out the room. If we do not like the room, he was prepared to drive us to the other pension house to find one that is satisfactory! I was really very impressed with Mr Won's dedication.

After confirming the room, our tour starts. Along the way, Mr won explained a little about Jeju-do and was very knowledgeable about the sightseeing spots. Even though the weather was a bit wet, we managed to have a relaxed drive with one day on the east and west on the other. Mr Won is extremely patient, polite, understanding and made us feel comfortable throughout the 2 day trip. He did not set any time limit on any sightseeing spot. So we really enjoyed the trip at our own leisure pace. Even when we accidentally overspent our time at Sunrise Peak, Mr Won was very nice and very patient about it and adjusts the itinerary accordingly so that we can still cover our 2 day trip at a leisure pace.

Since we expressed interest in eating authentic Korean food, Mr Won brought us to the local shops for meals and ate with us. How do we know that its authentic local food? Cos we were the only foreigners in the shop and the rest of the patrons were local Koreans and their family. Furthermore there aren't any English menus. Mr Won would then translate the items on the menu and recommend the food items to us. I must say that the price was reasonable and the food was simply delicious!

In the evening, we went back to our room. The room was great even though the instructions for operating the heaters and underfloor heating were all in Korean. The room is like what you would see in a typical Korean drama where rooms are in a row and the doors open outward. There is a pantry in the room for family to cook their meals. From what Mr Won described, these are pension houses that local Koreans will go and stay instead of hotels. So we are getting a real deal and at a good price.

All in all, I would say that I had an enjoyable time in Jeju-do and its all thanks to Mr Won. Even though he only covers Jeju-do, he offered us assistance if we ever need help in Seoul. That's the kind of warm and helpful person Mr Won is! I will definitely recommend him to anyone looking for a free & easy schedule. He can take you to all the spots that you want to go without setting a time limit as to how long you take at each spot.

5 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: Fantastic Tour Guide in Jeju-do

20000won as tips for whole or per person

5 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: Fantastic Tour Guide in Jeju-do

20000won as tips for whole or per person

Singapore
Level Contributor
27 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Fantastic Tour Guide in Jeju-do

Bel6, have u tried calling him on his mobile? Mr Won does respond to his emails. Perhaps u can drop another email again?

nhazwani, tipping is not required. In fact when I tried to pass Mr Won the tips, he declined it politely.

Edited: 9:07 pm, April 03, 2012
5 posts
Save Reply
24. Re: Fantastic Tour Guide in Jeju-do

If we want to book with mr.won.how much do we need to pay the first??

Singapore
Level Contributor
27 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Fantastic Tour Guide in Jeju-do

Pls see reply #7 for details.

Hong Kong
1 post
Save Reply
26. Re: Fantastic Tour Guide in Jeju-do

Would you mind sending me Mr Won's contact details? I am visiting Jeju next week and would like to hire a private tour guide. Thanks

Singapore
Level Contributor
27 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Fantastic Tour Guide in Jeju-do

Pls see reply #7 for details.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
365 posts
Save Reply
28. Re: Fantastic Tour Guide in Jeju-do

going Jeju next week n booking Mr Won now is a bit too tight a schedule cos he is always booked months ahead. I was told by a lot of forumers that he's always booked n had to refer his taxi guide frens to them. no harm trying anyway.

29. Re: Fantastic Tour Guide in Jeju-do

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, March 16, 2014