We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rentals? Transpostation

Level Contributor
25 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Car rentals? Transpostation

I am planning on a trip to Costa Rica in August-Sept (yes I know rainy season). So far this is what I have. Arrival at San Jose, take shuttle to Arenal/La Fortuna. Rent car in La Fortuna to explore area while there. Take jeep water jeep taxi to Monteverde. Now here is where I run into a decision making dilemma. Are there any car rental places in Monteverde? and Is it really necessary to rental a car in Monteverde?

i.e. I have someone who lives and works in Monteverde and will be doing all my excusions with them, not sure that helps the advise aspect.

From Monteverde I was planning on taking shuttle to Manuel Antonio.

Other places I was planning on visiting are Puerto Viejo, Tortuguero and San Jose (last destination).

Thanks

Any advise is more than welcomed.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
14,037 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rentals? Transpostation

To me, having a car in Monteverde is not essential. There is a local transport to both NR, and Santa Elena is very small and walkable town.

Also your other destinations does not require renting a car. No roads to or in Tortuguero, and in Puerto Viejo bike is common transport vehicle.

There will be afternoon rain in Arenal, Monteverde and MA so plan your activities accordingly (anyway best way to explore the nature and wildlife is to get out early, like 6 am). The weather on the Caribbean side will be sunny and hot!.

Level Contributor
25 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rentals? Transpostation

Thanks, I was thinking along the same lines while doing my research. I was planning on the bikes at Puerto Viejo, and using local tansportaion in Monteverde, and Tortuguero. Thank you!!

3. Re: Car rentals? Transpostation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 am, March 06, 2015