We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monteverede and Arenal split the days??

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
514 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Monteverede and Arenal split the days??

Hi

I'm looking for a week or 10 days after Christmas Dec. 26/27? Do you think staying half days in Arenal and half in Monteverde will be o.k.? I selected/saved lots of links regarding the hotels in both places and advisable to choose close to the city/area then in a remote area where I have to take a taxi too beside a shutle buss

Next question: If let's say stay in both places are the day trips tours, similar? like whatever Arenal offers same is in Monteverde? I know Arenal has also the volcano ( I've been in Hawaii and flu to all the islands and tour for 10 hours in each island). Santa Elena looks is close to Monteverde but confuss by saying Forest Cloud Monteverde? So it is possible to visit the city from Arenal. I thank you very much for the information and advise. I always do my homework way in advance but for the past 10 years so far all my trips went above my expectation. But for this trip the problem is I depend on the shuttle busses from one point to another in comparison in other places you can rely on trains, metro, busses. etc., but I hope I will put an itenerary at the end and of course wih the help of the TA. Thank you

I will post the same info under the Monteverde site?

Mentioned in this post
Santa Elena
Santa Elena
Monteverde, Costa Rica
Don Juan Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Coffee & Tea Tours
Forest Alive
Sightseeing Tours
Nasua Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Night Tours, Private Tours
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,114 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monteverede and Arenal split the days??

No half days visits to Arenal or Monteverde are a good idea...with all my respect...

No rafting around Monteverde at all...yes rafting around Arenal is nice...

Santa Elena is part of the whole area that is called Monteverde Cloud Forest...

It is possible to visit Santa Elena or the Monteverde Reserve from Arenal...but please stay there at least one night...

Just take a shuttle to Arenal...then Boat Jeep Boat to Monteverde and then a shuttle to your next destination...from Monteverde...simple nice and cheap!

roadadvisor

Mentioned in this post
Santa Elena
Santa Elena
Monteverde, Costa Rica
Leicester
Level Contributor
10 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Monteverede and Arenal split the days??

We're doing the same trip. Have decided to do 2 nights in Arenal - La Fortuna, then use boat-jeep-boat to go to Montaverde for 2 nights then shuttle to Tamarindo. Like you we like to plan our visits well and we too found it a bit confusing about how to get around from place to place but with the help of TA have now managed to get the whole holiday planned. It's a great site - so much helpful advice from everyone.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
200 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Monteverede and Arenal split the days??

When I visited Costa Rica I split my time between Monteverde and Arenal. In my personal opinion, I think that the two areas are different and have different things to offer. It's worth mentioning that both locations offer horseback riding, canopy tours (ziplining) and hanging bridges.

I viewed Monteverde (and neighboring Santa Elena) as more of a small town and a little more nature-oriented. Monteverde is in the mountains and there are a couple of Cloud Forest Preserves (I loved the Monteverde Cloud Forest Preserve); several places to see 400+ species of orchids and animals including frogs, butterflies and bats; an opportunity to take coffee, sugar cane or cheese tours; and an opportunity to take a night tour and see nocturnal animals. I did my horseback ride in Monteverde and thought it was more "countryside" riding.

I viewed Arenal as a little more "developed" and "touristy" - not that it's a bad thing. I thought Arenal was a little more expensive and better for "action adventures" such as ATVing, canyoneering and whitewater rafting. There are also several locations where you can enjoy hot springs.

Speaking personally, when I travel I like to start small/on a budget and end big/luxurious; therefore I started my trip in Monteverde and transferred to Arenal. After landing in San Jose I took a shuttle to Monteverde and found it pretty easy to get around. The main town of Santa Elena is extremely compact and you can walk to several different restaurants, a bakery, a grocery store, etc. When I transferred I took the "jeep-boat-taxi" to Arenal. You'll discover that Arenal is more spread out so you will need to take taxis from your hotel into La Fortuna for meals. Unless you plan to eat at your hotel, that is. From reading other reviews, I've heard that taking a taxi from the Arenal Observatory Lodge is a little more complicated due to the rough terrain.

I absolutely loved Costa Rica and it has a special place in my heart. I'm sure you will enjoy Costa Rica as well. Happy planning!

Mentioned in this post
Santa Elena
Santa Elena
Monteverde, Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
17,388 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Monteverede and Arenal split the days??

I second the description given by appetite4trvl as an accurate one. As for how many nights, in Monteverde min. 2 nights, in Arenal min.3 nights.

Monteverde Costa...
Level Contributor
637 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Monteverede and Arenal split the days??

I also second the description of appetite4trvl. That explanation is very good regarding Arenal and Monteverde.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
514 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Monteverede and Arenal split the days??

Hi,

I thank you so much, I think I will stay 3 nights at Arenal and 3 nights in Monteverde (two days will be used traveling from/to airport total of 8 days). If I decide to come for 10 days I have to found a 3rd place for two nights. Any idea?

I've got the 90% what I need to know. Have a good day....

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
642 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Monteverede and Arenal split the days??

My husband and I absolutely love Monteverde. We went to see the bats and had to wait awhile for the tour, but it was worth it. That was a couple of years ago, and at the time, there was a cafe there with a great selection of chocolate! Hopefully it's still there. Also, don't miss the frog museum. We have been there twice. Once during the day and once at night. It is better to go at night.

Monteverde Costa...
Level Contributor
637 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Monteverede and Arenal split the days??

Cafe Cabure in the Bat Jungle building is still open and still makes all those great handmade chocolates as well as great food and they have a nice balcony to eat with a great view of the Golf of Nicoya.

Also they recently opened a chocolate making tour. Right next to the cafe. You can see the whole process starting with the cacao pods and beans all the way through to tasting the finished product.

You can call them for details when you arrive to find out about the tour if you are interested. 2645-5020

Also Casem the woman´s cooperative has opened a cafe as well in their building right across from Stella´s bakery. Great local style food and very inexpensive.

Enjoy Monteverde. Lots to do and see (and eat)

Mentioned in this post
Cafe Cabure
Cafe Cabure
298 Reviews
Monteverde, Costa Rica
The Bat Jungle
The Bat Jungle
670 Reviews
Monteverde, Costa Rica
Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,436 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Monteverede and Arenal split the days??

We did an Arenal/Monteverde split for one of our trips, and it was nice. One thing about Monteverde is that it can get quite cool at night, so we were glad we had packed a sweatshirt and fleece jacket. We went ziplining in Monteverde, and did a guided tour of the reserve where we saw beautiful quetzals; at night we did a great night hike at HIdden Valley that was a lot of fun, and we saw some neat nocturnal animals like a porcupine, fox, etc. Arenal has a few special things that we like including the volcano, the waterfall hike, and natural hot springs like Tabacon or Eco Termales. We've also done rafting there with Rios Tropicales, and the Cano Negro tour to see wildlife. Sunset Tours and Desafio are two of the tour groups we've enjoyed using.

Monteverdeguy, that chocolate tour sounds great.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
200 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Monteverede and Arenal split the days??

Volcanogirl, you brought up an excellent point that completely slipped my mind...it DOES get chilly in Monteverde! I remember my very first morning when I went to the Monteverde Cloud Forest Preserve and it was all I could do to keep myself from shivering. It didn't help when it started raining lightly. I had to zip up my waterproof jacket and pull on my hood so I could cocoon myself and build up enough body heat.

yorku, definitely make sure you take a light sweater with you on your morning and evening tours. Trust me, it's much better to have it and not use it than to need it and not have it.

Have fun!

P.S. Monteverdeguy, that chocolate tour definitely sounds like something for me to add to my to-do list when I visit Monteverde again. Yummy!