We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mango bay sept 14 weather and beach renovations

Which Holetown hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
203 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
mango bay sept 14 weather and beach renovations

hi all

can anyone answer a few burning questions for me.

We are thinking of going to mango bay in sept 14. We have been to Barbados twice before - we stayed at what was Golden Palm (back in 1993 - honeymoon) and then to same place but when it was re-branded as the Regent st James. We loved the location and have been looking at Mango Bay. If anyone has been there - would be great to know your experiences, We are foodies and are not lovers of buffet - is the food good? also like branded drinks and cocktails. The weather in Sept is a bit of a concern for us - have been in sept once before and did not have any problems - were we just lucky? We also love the beach and are worried that there are beach renovations going on!! If we do not manage to go to Barbados we were thinking of tryng St lucia or antigua - is it achievable to go somewhere there a/i on roughly the same budget and similar place.

Thanks all for your info.

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,342 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mango bay sept 14 weather and beach renovations

The weather in September is a potential risk factor, as you are aware. That applies to St Lucia and Antigua as well as Barbados. We have been twice to Barbados in September - once the weather was great, the other it wasn't. There is no way of knowing. Of the three islands, in my experience, it s Barbados which has more to do if the weather is dodgy.

There are lots of reviews of Mango Bay on here so maybe read through them? I'd say that if you are "foodies" you might enjoy B&B or room only and eat out in the evenings?

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
10,525 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mango bay sept 14 weather and beach renovations

This is what I wrote on another thread in reply to a similar question regarding the work

The beach work in front of Mango bay HAS been completed. This work is on the creek which adjoins Mango Bay and Discovery Bay.. The intended work, including the moving of Heavy Plant machinery , and Diggers will be undertaken from the north side of Discovery Bay Hotel, from along their beach, and will not impinge on Mango Bay's beach in any way. There may be some noise, but by October, the work will be nearly finished and should not affect your holiday in any way. If you are still unsure, then please contact the Hotel directly. ----------------I live next door and our condos closed last year due to the work, but our owners who let their houses, feel totally able to open this year as we do not anticipate any problems,

I have never eaten at Mango, but living next door 7 months a year, I meet their guests all the time and they practically all say that for an All Inclusive Hotel, the food is exceptional, and I do know that many of the drinks are branded and can speak first hand for their cocktails which are jolly good !

We are in what I would consider the best location possible for Holetown, and as long as you discuss any concerns you have about the work with the hotel, I would go for it if AI is what you want.

Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
10,309 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mango bay sept 14 weather and beach renovations

OK - MB AI - we happen to live next door at Palm Beach Condos so at least I can answer some of the questions - (not about the hotel obviously) - Mango Bay is on 2nd street - which used to be joined to 1st st by a loop road - now vanished - 1st and 2nd streets are trendy - with lots of bars and restaurants - (so the back block of MB which used to be the old Palm Beach Hotel) can be noisy -specially on Friday and Saturdays, both from the bars and restaurants plus the new Lime Grove Lifestyle centre which has events on the weekends at night - and then there is the famous street party on Sunday night on 1st street - so suggest upgrading to a non standard room - or have a minor upgrade to one of the leased condos at Palm Beach (MB leases 6) - the condos don't get the noise .

As for the weather in September - that is in the hands of Mother Nature -yes September is so called "rainy season" so it will be hot humid and have some showers usually of short duration - and as Barbados lies outside the so-called "hurricane belt" as it is too far east and too far south - hurricanes are extremely unlikely - last big one to hit Barbados was Janet in 1955 - unlike most of the other Caribbean islands which get them more often as hurricane always head for the warmest water which is to be found in the Gulf of Mexico by Cancun. Barbados does occasionally get brushed by tropical storms - but again those haven't done any serious damage - some Septembers have been fantastic - my neighbour said a couple of years ago it was "glorious" - recently the island has been going through a prolonged drought - (farmers are complaining) - but how long this will last for unable to say.

No doubt other posters who have actually stayed at MB can answer re: food and drink -

Can tell you that last year there was major beach work and the beach is now lovely again with new submerged reefs to tame any errant waves, - this Sept. Mango Bay is closing from 15-30/14 for work on the fluidizer in the gully to be finalized.

Stafford, United...
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: mango bay sept 14 weather and beach renovations

Thank you ASO you say you live there but apparently you live elsewhere for 6/7 months of the year so a lot can happen whilst you are away from Barbados.

5. Re: mango bay sept 14 weather and beach renovations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 7:32 am, July 22, 2014
UK
Level Contributor
203 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: mango bay sept 14 weather and beach renovations

Thank you for all your replies. It looks like the mango will be closed the weeks we were hoping to travel!! due to limited budget we have decided to go a/i with a couple of trips out for special dinners. and mango bay did seem to fit the bill. but looks like we will have to have a rethink. any suggestions on alternatives? i do love this area and we have had two fabulous holidays here

many thanks again

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,342 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: mango bay sept 14 weather and beach renovations

I'm sure this is not helping pockygoes?

Could you take it off line please?

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,342 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: mango bay sept 14 weather and beach renovations

Pockygoes, you might find some real bargains for September. Look at BA holidays and Virgin holidays etc because there are some good deals around at the moment. Don't discount non AI though because it's not necessarily more expensive.

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
10,525 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: mango bay sept 14 weather and beach renovations

Don't discount Self catering somewhere close to Holetown. You will find it much cheaper than AI and you will be able to eat out as cheaply or expensively as you wish. with perhaps the odd Take Away thrown in. Have a look at Tropical Sunset which is just north of the old Regent by Zaccios Restaurant ( previously Cocomos ) and Surfside Restaurant. They may well have offers in September as it is the quietest month .and the Hotel is situated opposite the Supermarket right on the beach. with all beach views

Edited: 5:04 pm, July 21, 2014
Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
10,525 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: mango bay sept 14 weather and beach renovations

Sorry, I meant all Sea views !!!