We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Animal Flower Cave/Wildlife Reserve/Dress Code

Which Holetown hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dearborn Heights...
Level Contributor
54 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Animal Flower Cave/Wildlife Reserve/Dress Code

Will be in Barbados (Holetown area) in about a week now..so excited! Here's my 3 part question:

Planning my "to see" list & am wondering if a side trip to see Animal Flower Cave is worthwhile. I've read/heard just getting there might be problematic.

Considering the Wildlife Reserve also, not so crazy about what I read about some animals being used for research though, not sure if that's true, but wondering.

Now...dress code for women dining in evening....I know men are required to wear long pants for dinner, any requirements for women's dinner dress code?

I already have a tour of island scheduled with a stop at Oisten's & plan on visiting Harrison's Caves. Your comments are appreciated!

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,644 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Animal Flower Cave/Wildlife Reserve/Dress Code

Just returned from Barbados (first visit). I had the impression before I went that it was a lot ritzier that it is....It's not ..we dressed very casually the whole time even though we had brought some dressier clothes we never wore them. Seems out of place in this day and age...I think there are very few fine dining restaurants there that would turn a man away that didn't have long pants on..they need the business down there and if they want North American business they need to chill on the dress code. (Saw numerous closed restaurants and abandoned resorts). Private resorts would probably stick to the their dress code more so. As a female I wore nice shorts with a nice top to Champers no one batted an eye. I had fancier outfits i could have worn but after liming on the island all week couldn't even stand to put the heels on that I'd brought. I'd say wear what you want within reason. I think limiting the packing to one pair of light weight pants would be sufficient for a fellow just in case..but that's all a fellow would need.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,207 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Animal Flower Cave/Wildlife Reserve/Dress Code

Sparkykittycat,

Thank you for your observations and comments and I totally agree that just being reasonable in your attire is all that is necessary. I've been saying that for years and doing that and it works perfectly. However if someone wants to dress up more that's okay also.

Pack light and enjoy is spot on.

Dearborn Heights...
Level Contributor
54 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Animal Flower Cave/Wildlife Reserve/Dress Code

Thanks ladies....my mindset also. Although I don't mind dressing up a little in the evening for dinner on some nights, I prefer to be casual myself. This time I'm determined to NOT OVERPACK AGAIN...lol.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,644 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Animal Flower Cave/Wildlife Reserve/Dress Code

I ridiculously over packed...but I didn't know what to expect there. The only thing I ran out of was money....lol.

Boston...
Level Contributor
68 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Animal Flower Cave/Wildlife Reserve/Dress Code

Sparkykittca...love your response! We are in the midst of figuring out what to pack & were of the same impression that you have to "dress up" for dinner. I was worried I needed to convince my husband that he might need a sportcoat at some restaurants, which sounds not so. He will be a happy camper & so much easier!

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,207 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Animal Flower Cave/Wildlife Reserve/Dress Code

The men definitely do not need a jacket anywhere unless you get an audience with royalty.

Shorts for men are quite acceptable, Bermuda/golf shorts I wear them all the time. For a place that has slacks as a requirement, well I just don't go there if they are strict. Call before and find out.

Dearborn Heights...
Level Contributor
54 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Animal Flower Cave/Wildlife Reserve/Dress Code

Thanks Sparkykittycat....I can relate...I barely had enough cab fare to come home from St. Lucia last year, yikes! No dresses for me! My best dressy at night on vaca is nice pair of either long pants or capri's with a dressier top, complimented by some jewelry & some make-up on my face...as opposed to my wet bathing suit during the day sans make-up & jewelry...lol.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
170 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Animal Flower Cave/Wildlife Reserve/Dress Code

Burnsyislandgirl, we are heading to Holetown on Friday. Wondering if you stayed at Mango Bay? If so, were they strict about men having to wear long pants at dinner? Also thought we'd head to the Wildlife Reserve, did you end up going/how did you get there? Thanks for any info. Can't wait!

Dearborn Heights...
Level Contributor
54 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Animal Flower Cave/Wildlife Reserve/Dress Code

Hi starfish1....no I didn't stay at Mango Bay...kinda wished I would have now! I ended up staying at The Club Barbados...was a really bad experience for me...everything went wrong from start to finish beginning with getting the wrong room to getting either non-existent or non-working equipment in room, coupled with really bad staff attitudes! Most places will require men to wear long pants & collared shirts...best to check beforehand wherever you're going. I didn't go to Animal Flower Cave or the Wildlife Reserve....just ran out of time. I highly recommend a tour of the island & I had the most wonderful cab driver I used that also does tours of the island as well as airport transfers, etc. His name is Sanjay Kini, a2z Tours & Taxi Services, his phone is (246) 262-1296 or email him at: barbadosfun@gmail.com. My travel partner just could not take the buses any longer with her bad hip & we used him once to take us to Harrison's Caves, then back to Bathsheba beach afterwards & his rates are much better than anyone else...he ended up being $30 cheaper than the person our hotel recommended...so there you go! I would also highly suggest spending a day at Alleyne's Beach, preferably the part of the beach right in front of Ramshackle's Bar...we did this 1 day & I had a blast....swimming with the turtles at that beach & having lunch/drinks at Ramshackle's is a must! Also recommend spending at least a half day at Bathsheba beach area just to take in the sights & for photo ops. We stopped here too briefly on our all day tour of the island....which is why we returned a 2nd time when Sanjay took us back there. Bottom Bay on the south coast is also high on my list. Hope this helps....enjoy!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
170 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Animal Flower Cave/Wildlife Reserve/Dress Code

Thank you burnsyislandgirl for all the great info. I'm sorry your accommodation wasn't so good but it sounds like you still had a great holiday. We've been to Barbados a number of times but this is the first time staying in Holetown. Never did the Wildlife Reserve before so will try to get there. I've made note of the driver as well, appreciate all your comments. Happy travels!