We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

60th Birthday

Which Holetown hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
137 posts
Save Topic
60th Birthday

please help!! travel quite a lot, but only to places we know and love, a few times per year, eg Florida Gulf Coast, so v nice villas greek isles , canaries , etc but would like something e different for my celebration in Feb. Priorities are...A lovely villa, not hotel, but not 'cheek by jowl' accommodation, peace and quiet!!! with v private sitting out areas and with close proximity to nice restaurants, not necssarily fine dining, The west coast has been recommended especially Sugar Hill. also what is Holetown like!! bit nervous of carribean, need to feel safe to drive out to restaurants, sorry!!, ifthis offends but its important, can anyone please help me, feel like this could be a definite contender for somewhere different and very nice for us.....thank you ps weahte rin Feb!!!

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
2,963 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 60th Birthday

I could highly recommend Sugar Hill, we enjoy stopping there, we have rented a penthouse apartment before which gives you a private roof terrace with hotub,the gardens and pools have always been very quiet when we have visited, it is beautifully landscaped and very tranquil. It is also close proximity for driving to Holetown for eating out. It is gated with security so it feels very safe. If you want total privacy in the garden and your own pool a villa at Sugar Hill may be a better idea.

Regarding Holetown, we tend to just drive to a restaurant or bar and eat out, we don't wander about at night. I have not felt unsafe doing this, must admit 1st and 2nd street aren't really my thing at night but just my own personal preference.

Hope you end up going to Barbados and enjoy!

Exmouth, United...
Level Contributor
1,062 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 60th Birthday

I cannot comment on choices for your accommodation as we always stay on the South coast. I would say though that we always go out to eat at night and walk and have never felt uneasy about doing so. Barbados is a lot safer than a lot of places. Just be aware as you would at home and you will be fine.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
137 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 60th Birthday

Thank you so much for taking the time to send replies, I appreciate your help, Sugar Hill sounds like it would suite our needs, it certainly looks v nice. How far is the drive to restaurants,we dont necessary always want fine dining, as we like somewhere with atmosphere and local food, as I am a seafood/fish lover would I e wekk catered for. and as I have no idea what Holetown is like I am intrigued why you personally do not care of 1st and 2nd street, are they too touristy, ie noisy and crowded.

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
2,963 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 60th Birthday

Hi, it literally takes a few minutes to drive down the hill into Holetown.

There are lots of restaurants there to choose from. You will certainly find lots of fish to eat, my hubby eats pretty much nothing else whilst we are in Barbados. Most restaurants include a catch of the day option as well as their usual fish dishes.

Some of my favourite restaurants are Scarlet, Lonestar, Fish Pot, Atlantis and Spago at Settlers Beach (I have heard this is shut at the moment) Unfortunately Sassafras at Sugar Hill has just closed but I have heard there will be a new restaurant there from Autumn so will be interesting to see what replaces it. The restaurant is a lovely setting by the infinity pool at the Club House.

Regarding 1st and 2nd street, I just find it a bit busy and we have been hassled one time by a guy there who was really high which quite unnerved us both. I am sure it was a one off and I know plenty of people who enjoy the atmosphere and especially the Sunday night street party so please don't let me put you off. It is as I said just a personal thing, we just enjoy a nice restaurant and it wasn't our scene.

Let me know if you have any more questions regarding Sugar Hill.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
137 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 60th Birthday

Thank you again for your advice, you sound like you have the same tastes, we just like to go to a nice restaurant in the evening, certainly dont want street parties and hassle!!!!

Speightstown...
Level Contributor
29 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 60th Birthday

Hi Meram,

In addition to Sugar Hill I would also look at Royal Westmoreland, particularly if you have any golfers in your group. Any of the local Villa Rental companies would be happy to walk you through selecting the perfect property for you.

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
2,963 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 60th Birthday

You are very welcome meram!

Virginia
Level Contributor
2 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 60th Birthday

Hi... just returned from Mullins, St .James area. Would recommend the Sandy Lane hotel, or, Mullins Bay Villas. Less exp. than Sandy Lane, but very nice and right across the street from the beautiful Mullins Beach. Also for dinner, highly recommend ... The Tides, Lone Star and for the ultimate, The Cliff restaurant. This is one of the best restaurants in the Carribbean...but bring your wallet! Lexys piano bar on 2nd street in Holetown is great if you are looking for a night out. Also, I would rent a car to see the beautiful north and East coasts of the island. Animal Flower Cave, St. Nicholas Abbey and Bathsheba are not to be missed. :)

Montreal QC
Level Contributor
700 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 60th Birthday

If safety is a big concern for you I don't think you could pick a better island. In your post you sounded a bit worried, don't be. I've been hassled by some people high out of their minds too, but that was in Montreal, not in Barbados :)

Point is, it can happen anywhere. Barbados is a beautiful safe country and I think the advice in this thread fits perfectly with your needs. Holetown seems like a perfect fit for you. As I understand it many of the top notch restaurants are right in that area. Good luck deciding on where to go and what to do, you can't really go wrong with Barbados!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
137 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 60th Birthday

Thank you so much.....safey is a big issue for me....because of unfortunate incident.... (not in Barbados!) ..but dont really want to get in a car and drive just to a restaurant, after a short dirve, if poss, want to take in a cocktail and then stroll to a restaurant .... thank you all for taking the time out to contribute, really appreciate it... still in planning but definite a contender!!