We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scuba diving in Barbados -- good company to go with??

Which Holetown hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
35 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Scuba diving in Barbados -- good company to go with??

My boyfriend and I are planning a trip to Barbados in early July and will be staying at the Mango Bay in Holetown.

He loves to scuba dive, so I am looking for recommendations for a good dive company to book a day trip with. I am afraid that the companies the hotel works with will charge higher than normal fees.

Also, I am not scuba certified. Will it be a problem for me to go diving? I'm not sure what the laws are in Barbados, but will I need to be certified or take a course?

Thanks for your help!

Level Contributor
247 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Scuba diving in Barbados -- good company to go with??

West Side Scuba

Personally I would not go diving without certification. There are 1-day "resort" courses but to friends and family I prefer the full course.

I would think you could get certified cheaper where you are. Then go to Barbados and do some leisure dives. And you could also consider doing Advanced certification in Barbados if you wanted - it is essentially supervised dives (I can't remember how many - 4 or 5)

Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
703 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scuba diving in Barbados -- good company to go with??

I did a dive with Andrew of EcoDive, and it was my first ever. It was called 'Discover Scuba' and cost about 100 USD. We sat in the dive shack for an hour or so going through the theory, then he taught me how the equipment worked in the shallow off the beach, then took me on a short shallow wreck dive. As someone who had never done it before I found him to be excellent, very reassuring, and there was enough to look at to be captivating.

Dover, Delaware
Level Contributor
108 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scuba diving in Barbados -- good company to go with??

Emily: you will definately need to be certified to dive with any reputable operator. For your boyfriend, there are a number of good operations in Barbados. I have not dived with the mentioned West Side Scuba, so can make no recommendations. I would do a web search on them and several others which are easy to find. If you want to take a "resort course", at least you could see if diving is for you before you spend hundreds on the full certification. The reefs in Barbados are typically half-a-mile or so offshore, and the usual pattern is drifting as a group over the reef to be picked up by the boat. It is pretty easy stuff; visibility and marine life are OK. Enjoy.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scuba diving in Barbados -- good company to go with??

it has been my experience that a "resort course" is the way to go in Barbados if you just simply want to experience SCUBA without be certified. When I did it years ago, I had been certified in the US, but my husband was not. We both did a resort course with explorsub (no longer around to my knowledge). did about an hour in a local pool in the morning, trying the equipment etc. then went out on a short dive to Carlisle Bay Wrecks in the afternoon.

West Side Scuba, is good based on your location. EcoDive and Barbados Blue are my next suggestions.

http://ecodivebarbados.com/

http://www.divebarbadosblue.com/

barbados
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Scuba diving in Barbados -- good company to go with??

Hi Defo Hightide at the Coral Reef club hotel , they also have swimming pool to try out in first, staff are excellent and diving with them is safe . Had bad experiences with a couple of others in the area

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
10,903 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scuba diving in Barbados -- good company to go with??

Echo Hightide at Coral Reef.

North Wales, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scuba diving in Barbados -- good company to go with??

The best of a good bunch of scuba diving places is Reefers and Wreckers in Speighstown a short taxi/bus ride away. The guys who own it Michael and Phillip are super and they employ friendly staff. We have been diving with them for 6 years so can thoroughly recommend them. First class place.

Edited: 9:20 am, June 18, 2011
Texas
Level Contributor
32 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Scuba diving in Barbados -- good company to go with??

We just got back from a trip and dove with Andrew at Eco Dive and can recommend him highly. My review should come up after the typical TA process. As others, I would suggest getting certified before going. We did some reef diving at 60 feet or less since diving with teenagers. At a place like this, you want to spend your time diving, not learning. The certification can be done pretty quickly now and there are even ways to get the coureswork/instruction done here and then have the check out dives done with another dive shop. That would still give you more dive time and let you focus on the diving.

London, United...
Level Contributor
118 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Scuba diving in Barbados -- good company to go with??

I've been regularly diving with Rogers Scuba Shack in Carlisle Bay for the last 8 years.

Its 3 brothers than run the place, Rogers, George & Mark (who is one of the funniest men i have ever met, he has the whole boat in stitches from start to finish!)

The thing that seperates Rogers Scuba shack from other companies i have used is that all 3 of them have been diving off the island their entire lives and know a couple of great dive sites which are not marked with bouys so you can gurantee exclusive use of it and some amazing fish as they are not disturbed by multiple bots every day

I've racked up over 50 dives with these guys and would never consider using anyone else!

Bagshot, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,196 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Scuba diving in Barbados -- good company to go with??

I ditto Phil's comments. I have been diving with Roger, George and Mark for over 5 years now and have done about 25-30 dives with them. They look after everyone and are great fun as well. I, too, wouldn't go anywhere else.