We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

currency in barbados/holetown

Which Holetown hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cardiff, United...
4 posts
Save Topic
currency in barbados/holetown

Hi can anyone tell me is US currency accepted in Barbados/Holetown? Im going in November and Im not sure if I need to take both Barbadian and us dollars?

Gloucester
Level Contributor
129 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: currency in barbados/holetown

Yes they are accepted but you will get your change in Barbados dollars.

We tend to take US Dollars but you could take Bajan dollars if that is your preference.

Edited: 6:42 am, September 29, 2010
Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,153 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: currency in barbados/holetown

Go to the FAQ's above where you'll find your answer. Also just put "currency" in the search box and you'll find 1000's of comments.

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
10,733 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: currency in barbados/holetown

Please don't get Barbados dollars in the UK or the Airport in Barbados. You will get a terribly low rate of exchange.

YYC
Level Contributor
1,052 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: currency in barbados/holetown

Using the local currency no matter where you travel in the world is seen as showing respect.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,442 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: currency in barbados/holetown

We just kept our Barbadian dollars given in change seperate- had no problem using US$ everywhere.

Manchester
Level Contributor
247 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: currency in barbados/holetown

I took initial quantity of US $ for taxi, and accomodation costs then used local ATM for Barbados $ when I got there.

Cardiff, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: currency in barbados/holetown

Thanks Guys, some really usefull info there - I had no idea it was a mark of respect to use local currency - I will remember that forevever..... So Im guessing the best place to exchange is Barbados - is it not really expensive to use an ATM whilst abroad tho? Im surre I,ll have no problem using the Barbadian dollars change for tips if nothing else, and living in Wales the US dollars would be of no use to me if I brought them home so Im guessing Barbadian is the way forward :-)

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,442 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: currency in barbados/holetown

Dont know how much you will be spending - i.e.if AI you will need less than if eating out, We took US$ from M & S, kept it in safe in our hotel room and either the hotel changed a $20 note for BDS$ when necessary or we used US$ when shopping in Bridgetown for instance.( Our bank charges for ATM ). Our sons were happy to relieve us of remainder of US$ on our return !

Edited: 1:26 pm, September 29, 2010
YYC
Level Contributor
1,052 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: currency in barbados/holetown

ccc186460,

You can always take some BDS home to start off the next trip. Enjoy your vacation. We will be there Tuesday. Can't wait.

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
10,733 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: currency in barbados/holetown

Yes it IS expensive to use an ATM unless you have one of those cards that don't charge a percentage on Foreign exchange ( and they probably don't give a good rate !!) Take a few US dollars for initial expenses from the Airport , first night etc, and take Sterling cash and change it at a bank By far the best rate of exchange and will give you the most spending money.

Edited: 2:54 am, September 30, 2010