We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sleeping in the desert?

Melaka, Malaysia
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Sleeping in the desert?

Hi, I want to spend the night in the desert so that we can see the stars. However, I am bringing my elderly mom and I'm not sure if she can rough it out in the tent in the cold. Is there another way?

Thanks! :)

Best Moroccan Tours
Nature & Wildlife Tours, City Tours
Enchanted Morocco Tours
Nature & Wildlife Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Camel Trek Tours Morocco
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Morocco Top Travels
City Tours, Cultural Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Private Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,971 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sleeping in the desert?

Most of the vast area for hundreds of km south and east of the High Atlas is one huge semi-arid region, a few bits have sand. But what covers the ground (sand, stones) has no impact on what you see in the heavens. All you need is a hotel in a dark sky area. Google Sahara Sky Observatory for one example.

Edited: 4:36 pm, May 24, 2014
Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,786 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sleeping in the desert?

If you want to experience the desert, so go to Erg Chebbi without further notice. I do not know how old your mother is, but have seen where older people also ride camels. But you can also take you to the sand dunes with 4x4, if you want to stay in the dunes and spend the night in Bedouin tents. It is in any case an big experience, sand dunes of Erg Chebbi which is about 30 km long and 7-10 km wide so it's not just hamada there.

If you go to the Sky Observatory so you'll see more of hamada than sand dunes. And, it's much more fun to see the sky above you than by any concern panels or how it works.

It's amazing, to see the stars hanging one on one other a top-down and it's moon additionally, you will be completely intoxicated by all this.

And, to watch sunrise and sunset behind sand dunes is outstanding.

You can believe me what I write, I know this very good, the desert is fantastic. Even in Morocco!

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,786 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sleeping in the desert?

P.S. in the tent they have many blankets so you will have warm in any case. Don't be worry about it.

4. Re: Sleeping in the desert?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:15 pm, August 03, 2015