We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are the cabanas at Coconut Tree and Fosters really that bad?

Langley City, Canada
Level Contributor
809 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Are the cabanas at Coconut Tree and Fosters really that bad?

I thought I had definitely settled on Rumors, but now I keep going back to thinking how nice it is to be right on the beach so revisiting our accomodation options for our week in West Bay in February.

Found some (almost too) cheap cabanas right on the beach at West Bay (hadn't looked at them previously because they are so poorly rated on TA). Fosters seems like it might have some fake reviews and Coconut Tree doesn't sound too good. Coconut Tree's Beachfront Cabins are only $85/night and Sky Cabana #3 is only $700 for the week (I think that would be our first choice there from the reviews).

We definitely don't need luxury (although the studio at Rumors looks very nice, new, clean and comfortable so that did draw me in), and the idea of something right on the beach with amazing views in our price range seems really nice. I'd say the most "rustic" place we've ever stayed was Hotel Brasilito in Costa Rica and we found it fine (mismatched bedding, suicide shower, ant trail up the wall, no A/C) because we had an amazing balcony with hammocks, tables, and the perfect view of the beach.

I'm just concerned that these places are actually gross and full of bugs, and also not sure if staying at that end of West Bay is a good idea (we'd probably be walking a lot to the South End, so want to make sure it's safe to go back and forth along the beach after dark, and also that our things are safe in the room if we left).

I've been trying to get on the Las Rocas website for a few days but it has not been cooperating. There don't seem to be too many beachfront options in the $100 or less range, but surprisingly there are a few... just don't want to regret our decision to go with one of them when we can stay in a very nice studio apartment, 3 minute walk from the beach with a nice pool shared only with 1 other unit... what to do what to do...

Edited: 12:57 pm, July 11, 2013
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Level Contributor
571 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are the cabanas at Coconut Tree and Fosters really that bad?

LOL @ suicide shower and mismatched bedding. I was in Costa Rica and had stayed at a $39/nt B&B so I can totally imagine. Even the $250/nt place we stayed at had funny looking bed sheets. LOL

Check this out. See if you can find something that suits better.

http://www.vrbo.com/

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,448 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are the cabanas at Coconut Tree and Fosters really that bad?

I don't think either are gross at all. In fact, Foster's is pretty popular. If you are on somewhat of a budget and like the simple cabana style lodging Fosters is a good choice. Also, directly next to Fosters is Las Rocas, a sweet Cabana style spot. Its literally a few steps from the beach in front of Fosters. IMHO, it is basically beachfront its that close. It is a very pretty property and has a bit of a romantic feel.

Langley City, Canada
Level Contributor
809 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are the cabanas at Coconut Tree and Fosters really that bad?

I seem to have scoured all of the vrbo options and no luck in our price range with availability for our dates... still looking like I'm torn between being on the north end of the beach at an older place but with an amazing view right on the beach (Fosters or Coconut Tree), or a newer more comfortable spot at Rumors (beside WBL) with a pretty private pool and 3 minutes or so down to the south end of the beach.

I know this all comes down to personal preference... if I hadn't read the reviews I would have been sold in a second on Sky Cabana #3 at Fosters or a Beachfront Cabana at Coconut Tree, so just hoping to get an idea if they should be avoided at all cost to make my decision from there.

PS: I'm always happy that my boyfriend is an electrician when I see those showers in places... only stayed in one place with them where he said he would risk not showering over using it haha.

Langley City, Canada
Level Contributor
809 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are the cabanas at Coconut Tree and Fosters really that bad?

Thanks for the reply faithie! I still have not had much luck getting on the Las Rocas website to check out pricing.. I had sort of thought from the map I found that it was almost around the corner from West Bay Beach, so had sort of crossed them out based on that (still not sure if even Coconut Tree and Fosters are too far from where we want to be).

We'll likely go snorkeling every day which I understand is better at the south end... how long would the walk down the beach take from Forsters and/or Las Rocas?

Gaithersburg...
Level Contributor
236 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are the cabanas at Coconut Tree and Fosters really that bad?

Some of my family stayed at Las Rocas in May and were quite happy. Great staff, and great location. It was probably a 10-15 walk to the snorkelling spot at the other end of the beach. The small pool at Las Rocas was nice to relax in at the end of the day with a cold beer. You can email info@lasrocasresort.com to get room rates and availibility for the time frame you want to go. I recall it was $85 for a standard plus bunglaow and that included airport transfers.

Langley City, Canada
Level Contributor
809 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are the cabanas at Coconut Tree and Fosters really that bad?

Website is back up and running - looks like $95 for a Standard and $119 for a Superior, not sure if either of these have the ocean views that I know are in the cabanas I was looking into at the other two spots.. wouldn't really want to be all the way on this end of the beach without knowing we had an amazing view from the deck. From the map that they have on the website, there doesn't seem to be much sand on the beach at Las Rocas? Looks more like it cuts off straight into the water? (I suppose better for sand fleas though!)

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,448 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are the cabanas at Coconut Tree and Fosters really that bad?

Las Rocas sits on the iron shore at the end of WBB> literally a 2 minute slow walk to the sands of WBB in front of Fosters. From most of their cabanas you could see the ocean. In fact, I think at all of their cabanas you would be closer to the water than you would at Bananarama for example. ( with the exception of Bananaramas Island Pearl section which is close to the beach )

Fosters is a fine choice, a popular spot, not sketchy in the least. Both Las Rocas & Fosters would be a ten minute walk down to the rock wall for the easy entry snorkeling...a nice stroll, no big deal. ( btw, the Fosters end is quieter than the other ). Out of Las Rocas, West Bay Lodge, and Bananarama. I think Las Rocas the most quaint and charming, then WBB, then Bananarama( for honeymooners ).

Since you seem torn, I'd pore over photos on TA, on their FB pages, keep reading reviews, etc. All are good choices, you just need to figure out the best "fit" for you.

Edited: 7:04 pm, July 11, 2013
Langley City, Canada
Level Contributor
809 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are the cabanas at Coconut Tree and Fosters really that bad?

Thanks faithie - emailed Fosters, Coconut Tree and Las Rocas all this afternoon so will see how it goes! Appreciate the feedback! :)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
79 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are the cabanas at Coconut Tree and Fosters really that bad?

I can't comment on the others but Coconut Tree is definitely not gross. It is budget, but it's clean and has everything you need. As long as you're not expecting anything fancy, then well... you really can't beat the location.

As for your concerns about being too far down the beach, this really isn't an issue. It's right next to Beachers, a cool little beach bar, and then the Argentinian Grill is next to that. Great place, good food. You're only a few minutes walk down the beach to some of the other restaurants, and it's easy to flag down a water taxi to take you to west end.

Langley City, Canada
Level Contributor
809 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Are the cabanas at Coconut Tree and Fosters really that bad?

We ended up booking our first 3 nights of the trip at Las Rocas (I never did hear back from Coconut Tree after a couple requests) and then 6 nights at Rumors, can't wait!