We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must go with a young one

Which West Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tilaran, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
559 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Must go with a young one

Here are the places I would like to visit with a little one.

- Gumbalimba

- Anthony's Key Dolphin

Any other places that are highly recommended?

Anyone heard of the mangrove tunnel in Jonesville? Is there anything interesting to see?

Tennessee
Level Contributor
581 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Must go with a young one

if your near Bananarama, go to the hermit crab races on Sunday night.

Roatan
Level Contributor
621 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Must go with a young one

Also firedancing at bananarama. We've done the mangrove tours. Basically it's a boat ride thru the mangroves. Would your child like a boat ride?

Tilaran, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
559 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Must go with a young one

What time does it start?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
142 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Must go with a young one

How much for the mangrove tour? Does it depart right from the west bay/west end area?

Tilaran, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
559 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Must go with a young one

Jimmi1, honestly I do not know. I guess it depends how long the boat ride is and what is there to see. Were you able to spot any wild life during the tour?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,490 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Must go with a young one

hrmphhh... I thought from the title this thread would be about how to select a "cabana boy..."

how little is little? We mostly do stuff to engage our kids for our own sakes... mostly they want to play with toys and hang out in the pool... before about age 5 they don't remember except what we show them in pictures...

but think about the Iguana Farm, butterfly place, Carambola Gardens maybe... $5 dolphin show at Anthony's

Tilaran, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
559 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Must go with a young one

Is there anywhere we can donate some of our children clothes and books to the indigenous? I don't mean to offend anyone. Just thought while we could help the ones in need we also provide our little one an experience of sharing and giving.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,490 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Must go with a young one

oh... yeah... you have the four year old. Do any of the activities - won't really matter in the long run with a four year old. I've got pictures of my kids at that age in all sorts of exotic locations - they were more interested in a slide, a swing, and a sandbox.

The one exception is the snorkeling - I think a kid's perception can be expanded just by putting a mask into the water... whether r not they "remember" the effect is there...

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,490 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Must go with a young one

The mangrove tours are on the other end of the island. Mangroves make big swamps. People cut channels through the mangroves to allow navigation without going out into big water. I've never done a "tour" but I understand the boat ride is pleasant. Don't think you are likely to see a ton of wildlife.

new haven
Level Contributor
197 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Must go with a young one

If you go to Anthony's Key just go to the show (I think it's only once a week, so be sure to check the schedule). I've heard from many people that the Dolphin Encounter is a total ripoff. I'd definitely recommend zip lining. You can go at gumbalimba or one of the others. They let my son do a little test ride at Gumbalimba to make sure he liked it. It was the highlight of the trip for him. West Bay beach is pretty entertaining. You probably don't need too many activities other than hanging out there.