We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Medication for malaria

Which West Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hastings, Minnesota
3 posts
Save Topic
Medication for malaria

We will be coming to Roatan soon. It has been suggested that we take medicine for malaria. Has anyone else taken this medication and had side effects. Do you feel it necessary to take the meds?

Hastings, Minnesota
3 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Medication for malaria

Thank you all for your comments. It has helped to ease my mind in taking the medication. I was so worried about the long plane ride and possible side effects while on the plane. Agai n, thanks! Happy vacationing....

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
398 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Medication for malaria

Km,

One of the advantages of Chloroquine over Malarone is you start it a week before your trip so you will already know well beforehand if you are affected by it at all.

hamilton ontario
Level Contributor
382 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Medication for malaria

We are leaving next week, group of 4, 3 taking chloroquine and 1 on malarone (each doctor prescribed for his own patient and each one of us had a different doc.). We took first dose of chloroquine last night--2 of us have had no reaction and the other person feels a little off in the tummy area with a bit of diziness and is hoping it will subside today. My pharmacist said to take it with a big meal, so I made sure it was big, bigger than I normally eat, my hubby too, and we had no problem. Don't know how much the other person ate in relation to us, but we really put it away! Chloroquine reaction you would know about before you left because you start it well before the trip, malarone starts a day or 2 before.

For us there was no question as to whether to take meds or not--malaria can recur later in your life on numerous occasions, and that would not be good as organ damage can occur.

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
4,970 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Medication for malaria

You can also try a 'sample dose' of either drug before leaving to make sure you don't have side effects. That's what I did and found I couldn't tolerate the chloroquine as much as the malarone.

WI
Level Contributor
9 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Medication for malaria

I will also be taking anti malaria Meds. FYI - In Midwest my Dr. pulled up a list of several drugs with their various side effects, doseage time frames, etc. My Dr. Recommended Malarone or Mefloquine. I mentioned what I have read here on TA, and that the prices of Rx's can really vary widely. I shopped the above 2 drugs as well as another listed on TA and CDC website - Chloroquine, and found the following for a dose to cover my 1 week in Roatan:

Malarone = $117

Mefloquine = $82

Chloroquine = $23

I shared the findings with my Dr. and with my situation it was agreed that the Chloroquine will be a viable solution. So, don't let the cost of Rx prevent you from protecting yourself, there may be less expensive ways to do so. Costs could add up if you have a family, cost listed is for 1 person for 1 week trip coverage. The CDC does have a list of drugs approved on their website and they DO list Chloroquine as approved drug - at least still for Honduras, not all countries. I guess I'll learn if there are any side effects when I start taking, Sounds like they all can have minor side effects. I figure I'll have worse side effects from Monkey Lala's, and other cocktails..... I too got the Hep A Vaccination.

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
4,970 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Medication for malaria

Prices should be much less than that if you have a drug plan. In Canada I paid $80.00 for 9 weeks of malarone but that would depend on your plan and the cost of the drug in your country/province/state.

Gulf Shores, Alabama
Level Contributor
736 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Medication for malaria

It's funny how the prices go. We will be on Roatan for 8 nights; asked the doctor for Malarone. So 1 pill the day before, plus the 8 while there, plus 7 pills after we get back, for a total of 16. Cost here at WalMart with our insurance; $0.66.

Edited: 8:30 pm, February 21, 2013
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,490 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Medication for malaria

Our relatives, with no pharmaceutical insurance... same exact malarone prescription for one week here - $220 per person!

19. Re: Medication for malaria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, February 23, 2014