We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Power outages?

Which West Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Power outages?

I got a weird question. How often does the power go out in West Bay? I have seen complaints in reviews about frequent outages.

Thanks

John

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,013 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Power outages?

There may be a schedule to the outages, but I have never figured it out. A few years ago it was a daily or nightly occurrence. Now maybe once or twice a week, if that. Sometimes it may be an hour overnight. Still happens but not at all a real inconvenience. Maybe one of the residents can tell us what's behind this. So you carry a flashlight and if the power goes out, enjoy the moonlight.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,013 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Power outages?

I was referring to the regional power outages. The resorts would mostly have their own backup generators. So when it happens at West Bay it should not be a problem. Small resorts or hotels without backup would be more effected.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
361 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Power outages?

The power went out frequently when we were in West Bay for two weeks last year. IB's generators were not working at the time. I'm not certain if they were broken, or just not turned on, since generators are very expensive to run : ) In any case, it seemed just like our cabin in NW Wisconsin, where they have frequent power outages whenever a) the wind blows, or b) it was sunny out and there is no apparent cause. Sometimes there was a storm blowing in during an outage, sometimes it just went out. The worst outage was an all-nighter, otherwise, just for an hour or two (in Roatan, anyway).

Unless you're just dang lucky, I would go to Roatan prepared for at least an occasional power outage. Instead of getting cranky, a helpful approach might be to look at it as part of the "island experience". During this time, you won't be able to run cooking appliances, no airconditioning, no lights/TV /Etc. That seems fairly obvious, right? A good back-up plan is to have a light meal ready to go at a moments notice, a flashlight at hand, and a good book, deck of cards, scary stories, etc, for entertainment. It is good news that the electricity is more reliable now, at least on Roatan. Northern Wisconsin.....not so much : )

Butler, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Power outages?

i have been on roatan since january 27th and we have experienced 3 power outages that i am aware of. the days are sort of running together but i believe there were 2 separate overnight outages a couple of nights ago that might have lasted an hour each in the early morning hours than another one perhaps mid-morning the following day.

i heard later on the radio a "press conference" with the folks at the power company explaining the anticipated outage schedules and work being performed. it sounded as though most of the current planned outage work was complete....so i assume the outages we experienced were of the planned variety.

that said they are in the process of installing a wind turbine project which is supposed to expand their power base and add a reliable backup to the main diesel generation.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Power outages?

Thanks much for the info

6. Re: Power outages?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, February 03, 2014