We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale Sharks in Roatan - February 2013

canada
Level Contributor
343 posts
24 reviews
Whale Sharks in Roatan - February 2013

We're staying at Infinity Bay in late February this year and are hoping to see some whale sharks. Has anyone taken an excursion to see them?

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
655 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Whale Sharks in Roatan - February 2013

not sure but i think they are not around in February as they are migratory animals and they follow their food supply... An honest dive shop will let you know your chances but i was told chances are slim to none for the end of january to february...best time is not january and feb... some places may take your money and take out on boat and you would see nothing

Edited: 9:07 am, January 03, 2013
canada
Level Contributor
343 posts
24 reviews
2. Re: Whale Sharks in Roatan - February 2013

Thanks for the information. I heard that February and onward were "good" months to see/swim with them. Oh well, I'm a bit of a chicken in the water - would have been afraid to get up close and personal with the largest fish in the world!

We'll ask the locals once we're there to see what they say.

Thanks!

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
3,118 posts
343 reviews
3. Re: Whale Sharks in Roatan - February 2013

the trip is to utila. whale sharks are in utilian waters year round but in recent years have been most prevalent in jan, mar, april, may and sept. but as i mentioned they are here all year and you never know when you'll see one, that said just coming to utila for a couple of hours on a boat trip certainly lessens your chances of seeing one.

canada
Level Contributor
343 posts
24 reviews
4. Re: Whale Sharks in Roatan - February 2013

Hi

A while back I saw an ad for an outing (via boat) to Utila to swim with the whale sharks. When I saw a picture of how huge they are, I didn't think I'd be able to do the outing ... but it would be fantastic to get up close to see one.

Thanks for your post

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
3,118 posts
343 reviews
5. Re: Whale Sharks in Roatan - February 2013

not everyones cup of tea but its an experience you'd never forget. we had a three year old swim with one last january, her mum will always remember that!

Edited: 10:51 am, January 03, 2013
salsa savant
Level Contributor
1,214 posts
14 reviews
6. Re: Whale Sharks in Roatan - February 2013

Your best chances of seeing a whaleshark are by staying right in Utila for the week and taking as many opportunities/excursions as you can to increase your chances. By the time you have made the effort to do that you won't mind one bit slipping into choppy water with godknowswhatelse in the water to see one :)

canada
Level Contributor
343 posts
24 reviews
7. Re: Whale Sharks in Roatan - February 2013

Could you tell me how far away Utila is from West Bay beach? I presume the best way to get there is via boat. We're staying at the Infinity Bay resort and may be interested in taking an excursion to Utila to take a chance on seeing a whale shark and/or other marine life via a snorkeling tour.

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
3,118 posts
343 reviews
8. Re: Whale Sharks in Roatan - February 2013

i think most of the boats that do this excursion from roatan do it pretty fast, 5-6 hr boat trip of which probably 2hrs is coming to and from utila.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
655 posts
6 reviews
9. Re: Whale Sharks in Roatan - February 2013

can any one give a cost for this...it does seem like it would just be better to book a two stay ti the island of utila ...a two hour boat ride there 1 hour looking and then a two hour boat ride back does not sound like a good chance of seeing any whale sharks to me

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
3,118 posts
343 reviews
10. Re: Whale Sharks in Roatan - February 2013

i think you'd do the journey back and forth in about two hours, not two hours each way. no idea of cost, i live on utila.

Edited: 10:29 am, January 04, 2013