We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

infinity divers

washington twp mi
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
infinity divers

Does infinity divers require a pool check out for divers? Is it true that the pool check out is $40 per diver? We have over 100 dives. Is there another dive shop in the area that does not require a check out dive?

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
623 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: infinity divers

if you are not certified and/or cannot prove you are you need to do the check out in the pool or shallow water in the ocean first..personally i would not use a dive shop that took un-certified people out on a dive just on their word that they knew what they were doing... people can die pretty quickly with scuba gear on...even in 10 feet of ocean

Edited: 9:01 pm, December 18, 2012
Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
183 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: infinity divers

If u are a certified diver the answer is no,we dive with Infinity Divers often and have never seen or heard of this. They are a well run outfit with an awesome new boat with great exit / entry.

Toronto
Level Contributor
210 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: infinity divers

We are certified divers and weren't asked to do a pool check. I highly recommend diving with them - we just did 10 dives with them a couple of weeks ago and they are an extremely professional operation. They always have your safety in mind and the boat was never overcrowded. Our gear was locked up securely all week and the valet service was a great added bonus. We will definitely be diving with them again soon.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
623 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: infinity divers

original poster was asking if he needed to prove he could dive...it seems like he has no certification despite doing a lot of dives... please let him know why he needs to have a certification and not just his say so that he can dive and why

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
5,269 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: infinity divers

I have never heard of a dive shop that will take out uncertified divers. Unless they go through some sort of course like Padi's discover Scuba. Not just a check out dive in the pool. If that is the case..... very scary.

B

Edited: 10:22 am, December 19, 2012
Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,147 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: infinity divers

every shop I can recall diving with wants 2 things (besides money of course). They want to see your cert card. No card, no dive. And second if you can't prove that you have dived recently they want to check you out at the start of your first dive. This check out usually consists of recovering a lost regulator and recovering a flooded mask. A DM would perform the check quickly once you are on the floor at the start of your first dive. If there's time the DM may throw in something else, since the Dm must be aware of your ability. And if you have not dived in a while they will keep an eye on you as you gear up to see if you remember what goes where. But I've never heard of a check out in a pool and it sounds like a waste of time and money. I have to say that when I return to a shop where I have dived for years and they know me, they may not need to see my card. But they will still want to do a check out on the first dive. People get forgetful, especially at my age. I too would not dive with a shop that lets people on board who can't prove that they are certified.

By the way I have heard of some dedicated dive resorts that do require you to waste your first dive proving that you can dive. But I have never experienced that myself.

Edited: 12:01 pm, December 19, 2012
washington twp mi
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: infinity divers

Thank you for all the replies.I have a open water and a nitrox certification,And have been diving for years.My last dive was Feb 2012

ont
Level Contributor
424 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: infinity divers

this year was first for my husband to dive with infninty divers

he proved cert with his card and his last dive was about 6 months prior to going out with infinity

not asked to go into pool... but he did notice that they where more attentive to him on the first dive down ...so I guess they where "" watching for proper knowledge"" I think you will be fine with infinity ... my husband was very impressed with dive staff , and dm ricardo , nice boat small sized groups, direct from the dock infront of Infinity resort and they carry your stuff onto boat and off ,, equipment was top notch !!!

enjoy the trip !!!

Mooretown
Level Contributor
204 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: infinity divers

Hi Guys

Excuse me for cutting in

Going in Feb have Dives lined up w/ Splash Divers any tips

They want 25:00 per dive equip included w/ pick up

Also what do you do for tipping the DM and crew

Thanx

Fergie

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
623 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: infinity divers

was in cancun last april and the dive shop we went to...one diver in our group was checking out his equipment..the first regulator was not working. nor was the second regulator he was given nor was the third one working..a third person in our group also had faulty regulator... i got up and left the dive shop at that point as this place just proved to me they do not do proper maintenance of equipment and could care less about diver safety...so yes one has to be extremely careful themselves too