We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

shore fishing

Saskatchewan
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
shore fishing

I am going to be in between West Bay and West End for the month of Feb 2013 and was wondering if there are places to fish from the shore near that area. If there are, what kind of fish could I expect to catch and are there any gear recommendations. Thanks

Mentioned in this post
West Bay Beach
West Bay Beach
2,752 Reviews
Roatan, Honduras
West End
West End
Roatan, Honduras
Saskatchewan
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: shore fishing

I am going to be in between West Bay and West End for the month of Feb 2013 and was wondering if there are places to fish from the shore near that area. If there are, what kind of fish could I expect to catch and are there any gear recommendations. Thanks

Mentioned in this post
West Bay Beach
West Bay Beach
2,752 Reviews
Roatan, Honduras
West End
West End
Roatan, Honduras
Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,664 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: shore fishing

this area is part of the marine park, and line fishing in discouraged. I'm not sure what that means, other than what it says. So I'd suggest you contact the park or go to their office in West End to learn the particulars about why it's discouraged. Many of us are content just to look at the fish underwater and eat what is served in the restaurants.

Mentioned in this post
West End
West End
Roatan, Honduras
Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
496 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: shore fishing

The gear most locals use is 20-30lb test rolled around a small plastic soda bottle as a reel, a hook, and more often than not, some old nails tied to the line used as weight.

vagabondjourney.com/travelogue/wp-content/up…

Get 4-5 feet of line swinging as if it were a lasso, release it and point the bottle towards the sea and the line spools off similar to a bowfishing rig, then just pull it in by hand

Edited: 11:20 am, May 23, 2012
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: shore fishing

My husband fishes catch and release for bonefish and permit in the Sandy Bay area and on the east end of the island. He's a fly fisherman and brings his own gear; flies are mostly crazy charlies/crab imitations.

Here's a picture of a Sandy Bay barracuda caught by a local chico on line wrapped around a stick (don't know if that's a step up or step down from the pop bottle):

flickr.com/photos/…set-72157627211556383

Saskatchewan
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: shore fishing

Thanks for the replies. I would be bringing my own gear and would be catch and release.

6. Re: shore fishing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 am, June 22, 2013
Get answers to your questions about West Bay