We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What part of Roatan to stay???

Laguna Beach...
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What part of Roatan to stay???

We are planning a trip to Roatan next year (two families with kids ages 8-13) and are wondering which area would be the best for us to start looking for a vacation house?? West End?? Sandy Bay?? What else?? Ideally we want a peaceful quiet place but within responable easy distance to some activities and restaurants.

Thanks!!

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What part of Roatan to stay???

use gmaps and youtube to start

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,682 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What part of Roatan to stay???

Sandy Bay could be a good choice. It meets your criteria of quiet. And its within reasonable distance to West End Village. ( cab ). Will the kids entertain themselves...? Meaning, the two families of children getting along/ etc. Otherwise, they could get bored. All depends on the children of course. Sandy Bay is a favorite of regulars here....

West Bay Beach could be an option as well. Its obviously not as quiet, but its a better swimming beach, and more to do. I found when we walked by the rentals at "West Bay Village" ( not to be confused with West End Village/ WBV is a group of rentals directly on WBB ). It had a quiet patch in front of it...and the entals are sweet......

Denver
Level Contributor
26 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What part of Roatan to stay???

West Bay! Sandy Bay is nice and very quiet but the water off the beaches is not near what you find at West Bay. If you want quiet times and some immersion with true local culture, Sandy Bay is good. If you want to be able to walk to a dozen restaurants, have the kids swim off the beach where you are staying, and have a safer atmosphere at night, I suggest West Bay.

New Mexico
Level Contributor
385 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What part of Roatan to stay???

I really like Sandy Bay for it's peace and quiet....but I think the kids will find more to do at West Bay. Beautiful beach, swimming, snorkeling, banana boat rides, etc. Also, there will be more overall for the adults as well in RE to bars and restaurants.

Tegucigalpa...
Level Contributor
234 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What part of Roatan to stay???

For your kids choose West Bay! You certainly do not want your vacation ruined because your kids are bored, more to do, better beach! Go to Sandy Bay if you travel just adults.

Have fun!

I wander the world
Level Contributor
4,703 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What part of Roatan to stay???

West Bay is a long way from a peaceful quiet place.

But as said above the water is divine.

I think one must make a chose... fun and entertainment close at hand or a peaceful quiet place.

Hmm, you could look in to Turtle Crossing.. it is quiet over there but easy access to West Bay. With children you will need a car.

Roatán, Islas de la...
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What part of Roatan to stay???

What's Turtle Crossing?

I wander the world
Level Contributor
4,703 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What part of Roatan to stay???

It is a group of rental homes on the windward side of the island over the hill from West Bay.

Roatán, Islas de la...
11 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: What part of Roatan to stay???

Oh! Thanks!

Canada
Level Contributor
621 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What part of Roatan to stay???

West Bay is the best location, especially in that age as the older ones can snorkel right from shore.