We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

credit /debit

Which West Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
credit /debit

i am going to be staying at fosters in west bay -but want to go into town a few days -shopping hit the bars / resturants.

do they accept credit/debit cards for the majority? or will only cash work?

thanks,

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,758 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: credit /debit

Cash is king, generally only hotels & highend restaurants except plastic (& many of those tag on a surcharge).

Marietta, Georgia...
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: credit /debit

Every time I've ever used my credit card in Honduras the number gets stolen. I wouldn't use debit ever. It's just not secure enough yet in my opinion.

Houston
Level Contributor
80 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: credit /debit

"Every time I've ever used my credit card in Honduras the number gets stolen."

I just find this difficult to believe. In 5 months in 2011, I used my ATM card at least a dozen times in West End with no problems. I used my credit card at least a dozen times at Plaza Mar grocery store in Coxen Hole and a half dozen times at three different restaurants in West End with no problems. My experience is obviously anecdotal, but come on ausladia, you make it sound like every location in Roatan is a rip off site.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
64 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: credit /debit

I am glad you responded elgringito. I was thinking the same thing and we arrive on Monday. I can't imagine every person is running a scam, thank you!

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
4,844 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: credit /debit

We have used our credit cards all over West End, Plaza Mar and Eldon's for the last 3 years and never had a problem. This was the same this year until we found $700 charge at a garage in Tegu. that we didn't make. This year we used the card for the first time at two locations but I am not suggesting that those gift shops are responsible. We called Visa, they cancelled the card and the charges, will issue a new card and will investigate. So no big deal as long as you can monitor your bills while down here and have a back up card.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
64 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: credit /debit

I was mainly going to use mine for the car rental and diving, I hope that will be fine.

Roatan
Level Contributor
292 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: credit /debit

One tip I use is to take out a two or three smaller limit cards, say $500. if one goes bad you have a back up so travel doesn't get interrupted. I process card payments for customers every day with no problems, but I don't use one here myself. Cash rules!

Bonnyville, Canada
Level Contributor
644 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: credit /debit

Good advice as we are travelling there for the first time in April, do we just bring US$$

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
4,844 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: credit /debit

Yes US $$ works on Roatan. You will probably get your change in lempiras. I would still use a credit card for the hotel, car rental, groceries, diving, highend restaurants rather than carry that much cash..

10. Re: credit /debit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:41 am, June 18, 2013