We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The latest scoop on Paradise Beach Club

Ottawa
Level Contributor
56 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
The latest scoop on Paradise Beach Club

We just got back from Paradise Beach Club last night, and as promised here's the latest news.

We stayed at PBC last year and really enjoyed both the size and the location of the resort. We were curious to see what changes the new owners have made.

1. The property has been up-dated. The bathrooms in particular are great. New fixtures, vessel sinks, rain showerheads and tiling. There are flat screen tvs with much better (although limited) reception. Also, there are new comfy beds, linens, and plush bath towels.

2. Food has changed. The former buffet location is now a non-included fish restaurant and bar with new tables and comfy sofas. During the week we were there NO ONE ate there. The place was deserted! We did find out that the drinks at this bar were included in our Sunwing package, but the only time we asked for one (a pina colada) we were told they didn't make them. Hmmm. Anyway, we did hang out there quite a bit. We got our drinks from the beach bar and drank them there away from the really loud music that they now play at the beach. All meals are now served at a new location, behind the reception building in the back across the road. It is called a steakhouse, although steak was never served and is right beside the new pizza place. The only meals included in our package were buffet style. We were told that if we ordered something off the menu, it would be charged to our rooms for payment at the end of the week. We did have a pizza buffet one night and the buffet location moved down to the beach area on Friday and Saturday. Because the food is being prepared on site (not imported from the Henry Morgan as before) we found it to be hotter and fresher than last year. Selection was more limited though and some people (Roatan first timers) were not happy. We liked the food though, in particular the seafood grill night on the beach. Don't miss it.

3. Staffing has changed. Roberto, the manager is no longer there (I heard he is managing the Henry Morgan now). And actually, I did not recognize one person working there from last year. The new staff is (for the most part) great. Jean, the one of the new managers (there seem to be two) was always around keeping an eye on things. The new reception staff worked hard to meet any requests and were very nice. Kudos to Janet in particular who within 15 minutes of hearing that we had no towel rack in our room (renovations are still being completed) had a guy there with the necessary item and a drill. Any issues were dealt with promptly and satisfactorily.

4. We had to sign for everything. Despite wearing the obligatory wristbands, we had to sign for everything we consumed (even bottled water). This was a little worrying because we were afraid that at the end of the week we would be faced with a large bill. However, when asked, we were told that this was just a temporary thing to gauge how much was being consumed for future planning purposes. Sure enough, we had no additional charges when we checked out.

5. More kinds of drinks are included in the package. Last year we were limited to local beer and a two or three mixed drinks. This year all mixed drinks were included unless you asked for premium brands of alcohol. Tip: ask the bartender to surprise you and see what creation you end up with! Drinks were delicious. However, service at the beach bar was spotty. Staff there was sometimes confused or indifferent. They frequently ran out of ice and sometimes did not know how to make simple drinks like a strawberry marguerita. Fancy glasses are now in use at the bars, a questionable practice which could potentially lead to broken glass in the sand. There is now a seafood menu at the bar which is not included in the Sunwing package. Plates of included "snacks" are often on the bar, though, but avoid them. Dried up sandwiches, and other yucky stuff. Ugh!

Bottom line: would we stay there again? Absolutely! Keeping in mind that they are still working the kinks out after only being re-opened for a few weeks, Paradise Beach Club is an intimate, spotlessly clean property smack in the middle of the beach. The rooms were great, the staff friendly, and the food more than edible. Yes, the vibe is different (not as laid-back as last year) but I think PBC is a gem of a spot, often overlooked by travellers to Roatan. My advice is to go there soon, I would not be surprised if prices go up next year.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

I wander the world
Level Contributor
3,965 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The latest scoop on Paradise Beach Club

Just to be clear about the new accommodation.

"Paradise Beach Club is an intimate, spotlessly clean property smack in the middle of the beach. "

The property seems is set back from the beach so none of the rooms are on the beach .... can you tell me do any rooms have a sea view?

Ottawa
Level Contributor
56 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The latest scoop on Paradise Beach Club

You're right, the rooms are set back from the beach. However, the property is made up of several multi-story buildings and you might be able to see the beach over the tops of the trees from the 4th floors. There are also a few villas closer to the beach. One of the things that we really like about the place is that the rooms are tucked in beautiful gardens away from the crowds and bustle along the waterfront. Also, Paradise is in the process of building a multi-level apartment building beside their reception area. While this too is not directly on the beach, it looked as though it will have fabulous sea views from the upper stories. Apparently these will be available for bookings in the very near future (they were just putting on the finishing touches).

I wander the world
Level Contributor
3,965 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The latest scoop on Paradise Beach Club

Wonderful, I am all about a book on the deck and a sea view. Gardens are grand but I wanna see the sea. :)

Toronto
Level Contributor
210 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The latest scoop on Paradise Beach Club

Thanks so much for posting this review - it's great to hear that you had a good vacation and still enjoyed PBC after the change of ownership. We are heading there on Feb 13th and have a couple of questions - do you know if house wine was included in the all inclusive drinks? It's not a big deal but it's what I tend to drink. Did you notice if they are still using the dive shop at Henry Morgan? The TGI website now shows they have a diveshop at Paradise Beach Club but the Sunwing site says that diving is offsite at Henry Morgan so it a bit of conflicting info. Are there any rooms that you would avoid or request? Someone just posted a review saying that their room was right beside the construction site so they asked to move and were accomodated the next day. It was great to hear your impressions on PBC since you were there last year and could see the changes - thanks again!

Chatsworth, Canada
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: The latest scoop on Paradise Beach Club

thanks for the update on Paradise,stayed there 2 years ago and was curious about any changes they had made.Still sounds like a great spot to me. Is Ziggy still tending the beach bar?Any problems with sand flea,s?

Ottawa
Level Contributor
56 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The latest scoop on Paradise Beach Club

House wine was included in our package I think, although we didn't have any so I'm not positive. I did see lots of people drinking wine (red, white and rose) with dinner, so I assume that it was inclided.

TGI has a dive shop on site, right beside the buffet restaurant behind the reception area. We are snorkelers, so we did not dive with them, however, we had rave reviews about them from other people at the resort. Groups were small (4 divers) and the dive masters paid close attention to the abilities of the divers. All the equipment transported to the boat by the shop, the divers didn't have to carry a thing. The people we talked to were extremely impressed with TGI. As a side note, snorkelers are welcome to join the divers in the boat for a $25 fee.

We were happy with our room (404), although it was on the small side. It was close to the reception desk and on the first level so we didn't have many stairs to climb. There was some construction noise one afternoon, but it didn't bother us much. As I said there is construction on the lot next to PBC, but it seems to be mostly finishing work at this point. I guess I woukd say that all the rooms are about 60 seconds from the beach and the same distance from the buffet restaurant, so it will mostly depend on your stair-climbing preference. The reception staff is very accomodating, if you are not happy with something tell them and they will do their best to fix it.

Ziggy is no longer tending the bar, unfortunately. As far as I can tell, all of the staff is new.

Sand fleas did not seem to be much in evidence, despite all of the rain Roatan has been having lately. I am one of those people who has massive reactions to the bites and I only had around 10 bites this year (down from 30+ in previous years). The beach seems to be being raked fequently, maybe that's what made the difference. I dId use Watkins lotion everytime I went out, though, and I wouldn't dare to go out without some kind of protection.

Anything else?

Toronto
Level Contributor
210 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The latest scoop on Paradise Beach Club

Thanks again and that's great news about the dive shop. Can't wait for the 13th!

Ottawa
Level Contributor
56 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The latest scoop on Paradise Beach Club

Happy to help out. Wish I was going with you! By the way, they will now make Monkey La Las at the beach bar. Included!

fort worth
Level Contributor
205 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The latest scoop on Paradise Beach Club

Hi,

I was at the Roatan Swiss Hotels web site and saw this hotel and the other one called Paradise Oceanic Hotel are advertised at their web site. Are they right next to each other or what? What is the location since you were recently there of the Oceanic Hotel to the Beach Club Hotel?

They have a good deal on the rooms be it Full Board or breakfast only. I was wondering since the Breakfast plan is cheap are there other places to eat in the area within walking distance?

Are there activities in the area that are within walking distance?

How far is the hotel from the Airport? I am flying in from La Ceiba and was curious?

You wrote an excellent review by the way.

Thanks for the input.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
56 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The latest scoop on Paradise Beach Club

The Paradise Oceanic is was still under construction last week. It looks beautiful, though. It is in West Bay which is about a 30 minute drive from the airport. It is located right beside the reception building of the Paradise Beach Club. It is not directly on the beach, but a 1 minute walk will take you there.

The main reason many go to Roatan is for the diving and snorkeling. Paradise has a dive shop located on the premises and snorkeling is fabulous just meters from the shore. Other activities are available (zip-lining, visiting the iguana farm, island tours), but you will have to arrange transportation to get there. This is easily done.

I think the breakfast plan is a good idea. There are lots of places along the beach to eat at (Banarama, Fosters, Bite on the Beach, Celeste's and many more) and they are reasonably priced. Paradise also has four restaurants including the bar, but they seemed pricey to me.

You'll have to let us know what the Oceanic was like. It looked great from what we could see of it. I know they are building a roof-top pool which sounds really neat. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time!