We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rent a car in West Bay

WI
Level Contributor
100 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Rent a car in West Bay

We are coming to Roatan for our first visit and staying at Infinity Bay. How accessible are restaurants and grocery/liquor stores from that area if we don't rent a car? If we decided we want to rent a car for a day or two, is it easy to rent one from the Infinity Bay area? Any information on recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
Ottawa
Level Contributor
56 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rent a car in West Bay

Restaurants are plentiful all along West Bay. We have enjoyed eating the coconut shrip at the Thirsty Turtle at Bananama and the lobster special at Fosters. for fine dining, try the Vintage Pearl. From Infinity Bay it's a 10 minute walk to the mini-mall where you can buy some groceries and beer at the deli. If you need anything more than that, have your driver (if you have one) stop at a liquor store on your way to West Bay from the airport. Having seen the state of the Roatan roads, I would avoid renting a car unless you are the adventurous type. Taxis are easy to come by if you want to do some exploring of the island outside of West Bay. Water taxis are also available during the day to take you to West End if you want to check it out and access even more eating options.

Mentioned in this post
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
West End
West End
Roatan, Honduras
I wander the world
Level Contributor
4,377 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rent a car in West Bay

I don't know of any car rental places in West Bay.

Caribbean Car Rental gets alot press. I rented a car ages ago, the guy offered to bring it to me in West Bay.

The roads are fine, ya just gotta remember there are no road rules and there could be anything in the road at any given time from people to animals to flora.

I think having a local driver to show the the island is a very good idea. This way you get to see more instead of having to pay attention to the road.

As said above you can get odds an ends at the west bay mall but of you are shopping to feed yourself you are better going to Coxen Hole. Though a water taxi ride will get you to West End with a few more options.

Mentioned in this post
Coxen Hole
Coxen Hole
Roatan, Honduras
West End
West End
Roatan, Honduras
Benicia, California
Level Contributor
91 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rent a car in West Bay

We ended up taking a taxi to Coxen Hole our first full day there to buy groceries. It would have been a lot more time- and cost-ffective to have just taken a taxi from the airport and stopped at the supermarket then. (We were in a packed shuttle with several other families instead.)

We stocked up on eggs, bread, milk, juice, snacks,etc, and filled in with items from the small grocery store near IB during the week (the rotisserie chickens were great!). The prices were MUCH better in the supermarket.

Mentioned in this post
Coxen Hole
Coxen Hole
Roatan, Honduras
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,494 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rent a car in West Bay

Grocery stores - at least Plaza del Mar where lots of tourists stop on the way to their rentals - also have a liquor section. Not real large, but good prices on Flor de Cana (excellent quality rum from Nicaragua) and better prices on booze and wine than the mini marts near the beaches.

Our first trip - two weeks - we had the driver stop on the way to our rental and then used a taxi only once during the time. We were happy just hanging out - and we found that just calling for a rental car a couple of days ahead didn't work well - the only things available were very expensive.

This trip we are working on a longer term rental to keep the price down - but island time seems to be operating in terms of replies to our emails!

Mentioned in this post
Nicaragua
Nicaragua
Central America
Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,656 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rent a car in West Bay

I would definitely recommend grabbing a taxi at the airport and stopping en route to Infinity Bay at the grocery store in Coxen Hole. This is a regular run for the taxi driver's...they do this all the time for tourists. May I suggest making a grocery "shopping list" on the plane...it will kill some time on the plane (a few minutes anyway) and it made the shopping much easier for us in a store we were not familiar with. Even then we had to back track down a few aisles again....the point being...you don't want to waste too much time going around in circles in the grocery store....wasting precious beach time!!! The first time we went to Roatan we rented a car to tour the island. It would be a bit more money to hire a driver for the day but I think well worth the money as it is tiring for the tourist driving the car and they don't get to see the island like the passenger tourist does. If you get a personable diver as well it would be more interesting to hear about the island from their perspective as you drive around. My friend drove myself and her all around the island one day and she was pooped by the time we got home.

Mentioned in this post
Coxen Hole
Coxen Hole
Roatan, Honduras
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
winnipeg
Level Contributor
77 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rent a car in West Bay

We are here now and are renting a car for 2 days tomorrow from Captain Vans rentals right in the market place in West Bay. Only place I have seen in west bay that you can get a car which is very convenient to Infinity Bay. Tried to rent a car from Caribbean rentals but they had none available. Cap. Van's only has 1 vehicle ( A Toyota corola that looks in decent shape for $55 A day) so you might want to book in advance www.captainvans.com Will post our experience with them in a few days.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rent a car in West Bay

Infinity Bay has a mini bus that will take you on an island tour. the driver/guide is very good and will take you to some beautiful remote spots on the other end of the island, white sand beaches and knows the restaurants with the best seafood.

winnipeg
Level Contributor
77 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rent a car in West Bay

Rented a car at Captain Vans in the little mini mall by infinity bay for about $55 a day. Drove around the island for a few days and had no problems. Car was a newer Toyota, was clean, dependable and had no issues. Next time would consider renting it for the whole week as cabs are expensive.

WI
Level Contributor
100 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rent a car in West Bay

Great advise. Thank you so much!

10. Re: Rent a car in West Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, February 13, 2013
Get answers to your questions about West Bay