We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling around the island

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
360 posts
150 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkeling around the island

Were coming down next month and were planning to get certified in Scuba, however my son is asthmatic and now I don't think scuba is an option. So we are now planning to check out the snorkeling on another part of the island (staying on West Bay). Where is the best snorkeling found? Interested in all opinions. Thanks

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
894 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling around the island

I'll suggest a few options for you with varying $'s involved.

1) take the water taxi to West End and snorkel Half Moon Bay. It's getting beat up with cruise traffic but there is some interesting stuff, especially if you get out by the point where the big condos are. We watched a very cool octopus there one day in the middle of the day.

2) hire one of the boats to take you out to Blue Channel. Part way between West Bay and West End. Have him tie to the dive buoy and wait for you.

3) walk up to the parking lot at Infinity Bay (West Bay), make a right and follow the road down to Smugglers Cove. There is a new bar/grill there and there is supposed to be some decent snorkelling. Haven't tried there yet but we will this year.

4) the expensive option. Hook up with a group and take a Free Radical catamaran day trip. We've done a lot of Caribbean catamaran days and this one was our favourite. We're going back for seconds this year. Call it a vacation splurge.

I wander the world
Level Contributor
4,223 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling around the island

Ya gotta figure anything on the north side of the island would be worth a look. The challenge becomes access, the reef is some distance from the shore in most places. Have a look at google earth, you can see the reef the whole of that side of the island.

Hire a guy with a boat to paddle you about.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
359 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling around the island

if you are staying in west bay why do you need to go to another part of the island? all you need to do is walk past infinity bay and snorkel at the end of the beach. my husband spent hours there everyday and always found interesting fish to see. he did a couple of snorkel excursions with henry morgan but found west bay better then the areas they took him too. he went far out but i'm not a good swimmer and stayed in the shallow area and still had plenty to see. easy peasy. we went to west end and my husband snorkeled in half moon bay but didn't find it that interesting.

Edited: 3:22 pm, January 14, 2012
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
12,171 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling around the island

Really terrific snorkeling from shore along Sandy Bay and with a kayak from Camp Bay Beach; our photos with trip links are below if you're interested. Happy trails!

flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

Alberta
Level Contributor
26 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkeling around the island

Sorry I also wanted to ask about the mosquitos/sand flies on Roatan. Are they really as abd as many say?

I wander the world
Level Contributor
4,223 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkeling around the island

Alberta ~ from my perspective how bad the bugs are is individual. There are many variables including what repellent works best for a person's body chemistry.

I personally do not step foot out the door without a coat of Deep Woods Off.

Alberta
Level Contributor
26 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkeling around the island

Thanks for that information. Hey, what things are there to do for an 18 year old boy?

I wander the world
Level Contributor
4,223 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snorkeling around the island

Chase chicks?

Wow, I was out of the house at 17, I can't even imagine a parent of mine asking a question about entertainment for me at 18. Wild.

Anywho, there are all manner of water entertainment in West Bay, flat boards, kayaks, wave runners, para-sailing but the island was put on the map cause of the world class diving.

After hours I would guess he could get in to all kinds of trouble in West End, West Bay not so much. There are so many 20 something dive guys about, easy enough to make friends.

Alberta
Level Contributor
26 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snorkeling around the island

Times have changed unfortunately.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,493 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Snorkeling around the island

Not sure times have changed... parents sure have!

Nomad - I too was out of the house at 17... and I can't imagine my parents taking me to a tropical paradise, much less worrying about keeping me occupied once I got there!

What an 18 year-old chooses to do there depends entirely on the kid. If outdoorsy, the beach provides endless opportunities for entertainment. If social, the beach provides lots of young people to schmooze with. If the kid likes to play online games, there is internet available, though not particularly fast or reliable. For the readers, there are alls sorts of great places to hole up and read. All depends on what the kid likes.