We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Car on Roatan? / Safety

Pasco, WA
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Rental Car on Roatan? / Safety

We (2 couples traveling to together) are headed to Roatan in February and are staying at a condo that is a "12 minute walk from West Bay Beach." Looking at a map it appears that the condo is across the tip from West Bay beach facing south / south east. Is this really within walking distance to West Bay? Is it safe to walk in this area? Would it be best to get a rental car? If so, any suggestions of where to rent? Appreciate the input.

Also any increased safety risks in Roatan? I assume that the recent news about the Peace Corps is mainly related to concerns on the Mainland, but was curious.

Level Contributor
124 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental Car on Roatan? / Safety

Are you staying at/near TurtleCrossing? Sounds to be that area.

We walked there and back from Infinity Bay last week in about 15 minutes, one way There are two ways to go - around the point, past Meridian/Smugglers or up and over, by Keyhole. Both ways have a big hill, less of a one to go up and over. The Meridian way is on the road, Keyhole is by both the road and thru the trees. Up and over is a bit quicker, but can be messy if it has been raining.

Would not suggest either way in the dark. We headed back to West Bay too late in the day and the way from Meridian was treacherous in the semi dark, even with our flashlight....and that was 545 pm.

So, if you want to be able to go out for dinner or an evening in West Bay you might want the rental car. Or if you are going to have trouble walking the hills. It cost us $4US for a taxi for 2 of us (they charge per person) one direction but even with pre-arranging it, there was a huge hassle to actually get the driver out to Turtle Crossing at 7 pm.

I wander the world
Level Contributor
4,167 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental Car on Roatan? / Safety

While I agree with most of this.... I am not sure how the walk from Meridian to West Bay can be treacherous it is paved road the whole of the distance..what am I missing?

Indeed it can be walked but unless you really want to walk...prolly you would rather have a car. The hill from Foster's key hole is not as steep but as said above ya have a mud problem in wet weather. The road way has a steep hill both directions but the road is paved.

If you ware not staying near Turtle Crossing but in fact in Key Hole.. West Bay is across the main road and down the hill, either to Las Rocas or Foster's. Easy enough going down but again hill on the way up.

Come to think of it Turtle Crossing doesn't have any condos, that I knwo of..maybe you booked with Meridian. What is the name of the place and we can give you a better answer.

Safty is one of those wacky things...luck of the draw...you may walk the distance between Foster's and Key Hole 14 times and on the 15th a local happens along asking for donations...hard to say.

Level Contributor
124 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental Car on Roatan? / Safety

What we found treacherous was that the road was wet and quite muddy down the edges which made it very slippery. We had to walk in the center of the road, which has the split in it, making it uneven.

And one flashlight for two of us was not enough - you really needed to watch where you were going....and perhaps my staple flipflops were not the way to go! HA

I wander the world
Level Contributor
4,167 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental Car on Roatan? / Safety

Ahh ha! indeed that would make thing very difficult..Dark down there is a whole different animal than it is here. Whole sky chock a block full of starts can be seen as well.

Pasco, WA
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental Car on Roatan? / Safety

I think the condo we are staying is at Key Hole. The statement says Casa Artista ... not sure that helps any pinpointing the location.

If we decide to go with a rental car, any suggestions of where to rent?

I wander the world
Level Contributor
4,167 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental Car on Roatan? / Safety

Keyhole Bay 8A Casa Artista,

Yes, that would be across the main road from the entrance to Foster's, Las Rocas, and Gumbalimba Park. Opposite side of the island from West Bay Beach. I have walked this hill many a times, though not in the dark , when wet ya gotta watch yourself cause of the slick mud.

Perhaps someone else can help you with car rental companies, or the search feature gave me this page. http://www.tripadvisor.com/SearchForums?scope=2&ff=4482&geo=292019&q=Car+Rental&sub-search.x=9&sub-search.y=11&returnTo=__2F__

I pretty much stay where I can walk to what I want, being a single female I don't wander to far away from public view/hearing after dark.

Edited: 9:34 pm, December 27, 2011
leeds
Level Contributor
122 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rental Car on Roatan? / Safety

Driverabroad.com has some Roatan rental company names plus driving info on Honduras...

driverabroad.com/Countries_info.html#HONDURAS

Level Contributor
124 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rental Car on Roatan? / Safety

It would be about a 10 minute walk to the gates of Key Hole from West Bay, from there it just depends on how far in your condo is. I have only ever driven around the Key Hole property and remember it being quite spacious.

Again, I would not do the walk at night, any later then 6pm ish??

Have a great vaca!

Roatan
Level Contributor
621 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rental Car on Roatan? / Safety

Keyhole is not across the main road from the entrance to Fosters or Las Rocas. It is in fact across the main road from the Emerald Beach entrance. We walk the road from Keyhole and back almost daily and always come up from the beach to Keyhole on the Emerald Beach Road. Fosters/Las Rocas is in the opposite direction. You can walk to the beach in just a few minutes if you take that road. I would agree that it would take approx. 12 min. if you took that route.

If you are interested in renting a car go with Caribbean Rent A Car ask for Joe Jackson, e-mailcaribbeanrentacar@yahoo.es, website www.caribbeanroatan.com

phone 9995-2827

This is who we use when we need a rental. Joe is awesome and very reasonable. Will usually deliver the vehicle to where you need it.

Roatan is quite safe but we don't walk around much at night. Of course it is safe to walk down West Bay beach at night or around West End but as there is lots of security in those areas. It's also very safe to walk within the Keyhole Development at night.

10. Re: Rental Car on Roatan? / Safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:23 am, January 21, 2013